DirectTV vs. Dish Network

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I've been held hostage to cable for the last 15 years, moved here and cou;dn't wait to get satellite, and now the cable company is holding high speed internet access hostage.. if you want it better use their cable company for TV too.. or pay $10 or more extra a month. Personally I use DirecTV for TV with Local Channels, will buy my 13 yo son the NFL ticket for his birthday this year.. and have Verizon for DSL, in a package with the phone.. with EVERY extra the phone comapny offers, free unlimited any time of day longdistance,800 number, for $89 a month.. (long distance alone was over $100 before I signed up for the package). So I pay less for DTV then Cable, PLUS I saved about $40 a month going with the package deal from Verizon instead of using the cable company for internet access (in my eyes I'm getting DSL for free)

jaybyrdsblondie

duhhhh. Yea I have that Verizon Freedom package with the free long didstance and 800 but I pay about $50. Sounds to me that it ends up about the same. Compare apples to apples not apples to oranges. You pay $39 more for Verizon, however I pay a little extra for the high speed on my cable, but I do get over 130 channels and have all 4 TV's hooked up. In fact, while recently consulting with them about the HDTV receiver they have, I mentioned that I may move one of our other TV's out to the garage so my hubby can watch his sports or news while he's out there working on his hobby during the spring and summer, and they offered to add that outlet at no extra charge.
It must have been a while since you checked out the cable company. They have changed a bit in the last couple of years. I will admit that if you just want basic they are higher then satellite, however, their package pricing for digital and high speed internet is hard to beat. Especially if you want the convenience of more than 2 TV's.
The bottom line for our Verizon, internet, and cable is $130 per month, but I feel we have more freedom with our cable service. We have a large home and 5 children between 1-13 and we all have different interest. IN OUR SITUATION cable is best. Thank God for America! and the freedom of choice we have.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by Tonio
Which is better? I'm leaning toward Dish because their base package is cheaper than DirectTV's. I don't need all the sports channels or the premium channels. I'm just looking for the basic cable-style channels plus local channels.

I've had dish network for sometime now (5 years?) and have not really been satisfied with it. Mainly because I want the NFL package and will never get it, then I had to wait a few years to receive local channels. Slowly but surely its growing on me. I think because it has a new bingo channel that you can win prizes on every Wedensday night (if you subscribe to their Dish magazine you get 3 cards to play at once). It starts at 9:00 and ends at 12:00 and has very good prizes!! On a down note, if its inclement weather outside its a 50/50 chance I won't be able to see anything but that may be with all the dishes. More importantly, its when I need it the most that it goes out on me, such as severe thunderstorms coming or tornado warnings, etc... and you're stuck wondering what to do and would like to see the radar, etc...
I do like it better than cable if that helps much.:biggrin:

D

dems4me

Originally posted by jaybyrdsblondie
Man never could handle a woman that makes more money than him.

:biggrin:

Why is that? From my experience, the men either resented not being the bread winner or they tried to get a free ride and wanted me to support them?????

Can you shed some insight on this?? please???? thanks:smile:

hwyman3

I've had Dish Network for 4 1/2 years and have been very happy with it. My parents have Direct TV and both are very good. I prefer Dish Network's on screen guide better than Direct, but that's probably because I'm used to Dish's. THe only time I have lost the Dish in the past year was during Isabele, but that was due to beign without power for about a week. I have Dish on 2 tvs and I only pay about $45/month. I also have a separate Replay TV box (similar to Tivo) and everything works great!