Discovery is Home

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
GMA had a pretty neat simulation thing showing the shuttle as it was on re-entry, then following it to touchdown this morning. :yay:

I had the opportunity, once, to see one of the shuttles when it was on the other airplane being flown back to Florida following an Edwards landing. Pretty cool stuff to see it sitting on top of another airplane.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
workin hard said:
Thank Goodness. :clap: Suprising since they sent them up there in what sounds like a POS.....
:yeahthat: I sure hope the insurance company decides to total it.

Goofing_Off

workin hard said:
Thank Goodness. :clap: Suprising since they sent them up there in what sounds like a POS.....
:lmao: You call one of the most sophisticated machines ever created and a true engineering marvel, which endures forces that no other vehicle can withstand, a POS? :confused:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I stayed at home a little longer this morning so I could watch it live on TV. It was awesome and a picture perfect landing! :clap:

Goofing_Off said:
:lmao: You call one of the most sophisticated machines ever created and a true engineering marvel, which endures forces that no other vehicle can withstand, a POS? :confused:
I didn't call it one. I said it sounds like one, with the way the media is magnifying the parts falling off, etc...

I, personally, think it is an amazing machine to go so far up in the atmosphere and survive in conditions that even we aren't sure of.

Goofing_Off

baileydog said:
Leave the driving to a woman for a safe landing.You go girl.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/08/09/space.shuttle/index.html

I don't mean to burst your bubble (yes I do), but the article says "Shuttle pilot James Kelly steered Discovery on a trajectory leading it near Los Angeles and Oxnard, California, before touch down."

Eileen Collins was the commander, but not the pilot.

Leave it to a man to get the job done. A woman would have been doing her makeup in the mirror while plowing through the atmostphere. :roflmao:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
Goofing_Off said:
A woman would have been doing her makeup in the mirror while plowing through the atmostphere. :roflmao:
That's what I'd be doing. Screw the pressure of landing that thing. I want to look GOOD on the front page of every paper in the nation! :diva: :patriot:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Goofing_Off said:
Eileen Collins was the commander, but not the pilot.
This article was your only informant on the incident, wasn't it? Important: "'We're happy to be back,' replied commander Eileen Collins, who piloted the shuttle to its landing." ("Discovery lands safely..." at MSNBC.)

She took control initially, gave control to astronaut Kelly temporarily -- because he is slated to be the pilot of the next mission and can use the in-flight experience, but she then resumed control for the landing.

Perhaps it's a vast women's empowerment conspiracy!

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
It is technically a 'glider' because it flies in using momentum gained from falling out of orbit, and it does not have turbines like a plane... but you still need someone to steer it (pitch, yaw, yadda yadda) and set the landing gear. That's why the commander must be accomplished as both a scientist and pilot.

C

canuk woman

crabcake said:
... safe landing at Edwards. :clap: :thewave:

thank goodness i actually watched it this morning on cnn it was like a falling star