Disney Should Not Touch Religion!!!

Midnightrider

Qurious said:
they're associating a story that features magic and mythical features with the bible.....

u find nothing wrong with this?
you obviously didn't read past the headlines......

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Qurious, please excerpt and link to the article instead of posting the whole thing. Gets us in trouble with the copyright holder.

LW&W is a natural for the screen and I'm surprised it took them so long to make a movie out of it. What's the big deal??

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Qurious said:
People keep mentioning how other movies were heavy in biblical reference. But, were they really, or is that what YOU got out of it?
Um, yes, a "reference" is "a mention of an occurrence or situation", so it actually exists. If you mean religious themes then I can see how some people might miss that, but it's only for a lack of education on the theme that is being expressed. Authors and filmmakers deliberately insert themes and references, whether they or religious or not, and it's up to us to see them. If you aren't a religious person, or not educated in the themes of religion, then you aren't going to see the religious aspects of say, Lord of the Rings, or the Chronicles of Narnia. But for people who understand religion (whether or not they believe in said religion), the themes are very evident. It's my understanding that CS Lewis intended for his novels to have religious themes, so you can't blame that on Disney. If anything, they're just making sure the movie stays true to the book. And FYI, I don't recall anyone claiming that The Matrix had religious undertones.

terbear1225

qurious, have you read the chronicles of narnia? if you have issues with the religious themes in lw&w, you're really going to have problems if they make the rest of the series into movies, particularly the last book of the series.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Nickel said:
Um, yes, a "reference" is "a mention of an occurrence or situation", so it actually exists. If you mean religious themes then I can see how some people might miss that, but it's only for a lack of education on the theme that is being expressed. Authors and filmmakers deliberately insert themes and references, whether they or religious or not, and it's up to us to see them. If you aren't a religious person, or not educated in the themes of religion, then you aren't going to see the religious aspects of say, Lord of the Rings, or the Chronicles of Narnia. But for people who understand religion (whether or not they believe in said religion), the themes are very evident. It's my understanding that CS Lewis intended for his novels to have religious themes, so you can't blame that on Disney. If anything, they're just making sure the movie stays true to the book. And FYI, I don't recall anyone claiming that The Matrix had religious undertones.
Actually, he said he never purposly meant for them to have religious themes, it just kind of happened.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Bustem' Down said:
Actually, he said he never purposly meant for them to have religious themes, it just kind of happened.
In that case, it's still not Disney's fault, so Qbert is wrong.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Nickel said:
In that case, it's still not Disney's fault, so Qbert is wrong.
Q is just wrong on a lot of things. I think I proved my point in this thread and it's why he never posted back in it. It's funny how you, me and everyone else can clearly see this, but Q is oblivious. :lol:

tirdun

staring into the abyss
vraiblonde said:
LW&W is a natural for the screen and I'm surprised it took them so long to make a movie out of it.

Technologically they couldn't make it until recently. CS Lewis specifically stated that he did not want it made into a cartoon and doubted if it could ever be made into a movie given the special effects and editing requirements. With the success of Lord of the Rings, both financially and in terms of CGI, Disney decided to find a new fantasy foundation to do a series of movies with, and Narnia seemed a good choice.

terbear1225

tirdun said:
Technologically they couldn't make it until recently. CS Lewis specifically stated that he did not want it made into a cartoon and doubted if it could ever be made into a movie given the special effects and editing requirements. With the success of Lord of the Rings, both financially and in terms of CGI, Disney decided to find a new fantasy foundation to do a series of movies with, and Narnia seemed a good choice.

are they planning to do the whole sreies? that's awesome! I can't wait. maybe I'll actually get to see the others in the theater! it just figures that the one time there's actually a movie in the theaters that I want to see, I have a 1 month old and can't go!

slotted

Qurious said:
keep the unnecessary comments coming :eyebrow:

People keep mentioning how other movies were heavy in biblical reference. But, were they really, or is that what YOU got out of it? That's what movies and art is supposed to be all about. Seeing something, feeling it and relating to it. If you are a religious person you may very have have seen biblical references in every movie to date. I don't.
I see Matrix and I saw Sci-fi. I saw hypotheticals, I saw interesting social commentaries. I didn't think of anyone as Jesus or the Devil or anything. I see a struggle between good and evil, but that's not specifically Christian. Same thing for Lord of the Rings. I had no idea people thought of LOTR like that, but again I watched it for what it was, not trying to majorly decode it. People thought that was an OBVIOUS "Jesus movie", but I guess that's just Agnostic me I DIDNT SEE IT!!!
Let me start off by saying that I really enjoyed the movie. It is also chock full of biblical undertones. I.E. Aslan sacrificing his life to save Edmund, the humiliation of Aslan while he was being led to the slaughter (shaving him), Aslans "resurrection", I would have to rewatch the movie to give you more, but I'm sure that I'll buy it once it is released on DVD.