Disposing of a Horse's Carcass

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
happyappygirl said:
OK on our mountain horse list, there is a big discussion on what to do with a horse when you realize the prognosis is bad, and you have to make a sad decision.

One lady donated her horse to a wildlife sanctuary as meat. The horse was taken to a "kill center" who shot it in the head, processed it and used the meat. Her vet had told her it was the most humane way to put an animal down, quick and easy.

A recent magazine recommended you put them under your manure pile to speed up decomp, and keep them with you that way.

I know i couldn't have allowed predators to eat my precious Cheyenne. No way no how. However, over the years, i have had a few horses I'd have GLADLY fed to a cougar.

Any opinions?

I hauled my pony to Valley after being humanely euthanized by my vet. Cost me $25. It costs more if they have to pick up the carcass.

It is against the law to bury your horse on your own property. It's okay if you don't get caught but you also have to think about if you ever sell your property. I knew a girl who was sued for burying her horse on her property. She sold the property and didn't disclose that information to the buyer. The buyer did some digging and hit the dead carcass. Had to pay to have it removed as hazardous waste.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
fredsaid2 said:
So does anyone know if you can lawfully bury a large animal on your property? I've known many who do but their places are large and tucked away, no one to really see what's being done. Maybe it's a question of amount of land available, whether it's considered ag? Wondering about the legalities, specifically for St. Mary's. tks!

I was told that it was not legal, but I don't know...good question. BUT the vet did say that the horse could not be buried within 200 yards of a well. She said the toxins injected would contaminate the well. The vet also told me to cover the horse because any animal that may take a bite of it would become very ill and possibly die.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
§ 3-108. Disposal of carcass, hide, and offal of slaughtered animal.

When any animal is slaughtered under the provisions of this subtitle, the owner may dispose of the carcass or any part of it, the hides, and offal, pursuant to the departmental rules and regulations, and in a manner that does not tend to spread disease or endanger the public health.

Amy

My last horse whom I loved dearly and had for 17+ years was buried on the farm I boarded him at. I was told that was the only option. It cost me almost $600 to get the hole dug. I was given impression that valley protein did not come pick them up anymore.

This is a sad but very informative thread.

abbey

abbey normal
Amy said:
My last horse whom I loved dearly and had for 17+ years was buried on the farm I boarded him at. I was told that was the only option. It cost me almost $600 to get the hole dug. I was given impression that valley protein did not come pick them up anymore.

This is a sad but very informative thread.

our pony was put down due to cancer just this past september, and valley protein came out to pick her up. I don't know if they have changed since then. but it was cheaper than the 600. It is probably nice to have a place to bury your horse, but we just planted a tree in her honor out by the barn.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Busterduck said:
I hauled my pony to Valley after being humanely euthanized by my vet. Cost me $25. It costs more if they have to pick up the carcass.

It is against the law to bury your horse on your own property. It's okay if you don't get caught but you also have to think about if you ever sell your property. I knew a girl who was sued for burying her horse on her property. She sold the property and didn't disclose that information to the buyer. The buyer did some digging and hit the dead carcass. Had to pay to have it removed as hazardous waste.

That happened to me. I sold my last place and the new owners called years later inquiring about the "mass deer burial gound" the backhoe opened up when digging footings for a barn. I said "thats not deer thats GINGER" :yikes:

Amy

Thanks for the information Abbey. My horse was put down in early 2006. Yes, it would be nice to have a place to bury your horse but since it was a boarding barn that I no longer board at I don't feel comfortable visiting the site. Even though valley protein may not be favorite route to go I think it is really good to have that option.

Fubar

Look my ass glows!
fredsaid2 said:
So does anyone know if you can lawfully bury a large animal on your property? I've known many who do but their places are large and tucked away, no one to really see what's being done. Maybe it's a question of amount of land available, whether it's considered ag? Wondering about the legalities, specifically for St. Mary's. tks!
What happens on my property-stays on my property! :whistle:

FYI-

http://www.fund4horses.org/info.php?id=184

Last edited:

FrmGrl

Get some!
I know a couple of people that had their horses cremated. The only thing is it takes up a whole 5 gallon bucket!! It is also very expensive from what I hear. I have 11 acres but I think I would still cremate. Spreading ashes will go unoticed more than a big hole!