DNC Strips Florida of 2008 Delegates

Severa

Common sense ain't common
Washington Post - No Convention Slots Unless Later Primary Is Set

The Democratic National Committee sought to seize control of its unraveling nominating process yesterday, rejecting pleas from state party leaders and cracking down on Florida for scheduling a Jan. 29 presidential primary.

The DNC's rules and bylaws committee, which enforces party rules, voted yesterday morning to strip Florida of all its delegates to the 2008 Democratic National Convention in Denver -- the harshest penalty at its disposal.

The penalty will not take effect for 30 days, and rules committee members urged officials from the nation's fourth-most-populous state to use the time to schedule a later statewide caucus and thus regain its delegates.

By making an object lesson of Florida, Democrats hope to squelch other states' efforts to move their voting earlier, which have created chaos in the primary structure that the national party has established. But the decision to sanction such a pivotal, vote-rich state has risks.

The party punished Delaware in 1996 for similar rules violations. But Florida, a mega-state that has played a pivotal role in the past two presidential elections, is different. The clash leaves the presidential candidates in limbo about how to campaign there.

================================================

Hoooo boy...this one's gonna be FUN to watch....

budman473

I think this goes deeper than just a primary election date. It sends a message that the Democrats are opposed to states rights.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
budman473 said:
I think this goes deeper than just a primary election date. It sends a message that the Democrats are opposed to states rights.
I can't agree with this statement. Dems, Repubs, Libertarians... are not government entities, even though most politicians are part of them. Not letting them set their own rules for primaries is analagous to not letting the boy scouts set their own rules for making eagle scout. I'm about 80% convinced of this but willing to change my mind with the right argument.

budman473

Merlin99 said:
I can't agree with this statement. Dems, Repubs, Libertarians... are not government entities, even though most politicians are part of them. Not letting them set their own rules for primaries is analagous to not letting the boy scouts set their own rules for making eagle scout. I'm about 80% convinced of this but willing to change my mind with the right argument.

Maybe I didn't correctly get my point across. I agree with the boy scout reference. In fact that was my point as I believe the states and in this case the state parties should have the right to set their own primary dates. My point was that if the Dems want to micromanage each state on this issue they will most likely be against states rights if elected.