Do you feel safe as CCNPP reaches 50 years in the year 2025?

3CATSAILOR

The question is how safe can you feel as a nearby Nuclear Power Plant reaches 50 years old in 2025? It is bad enough that the bridge is near 50 years old. So is Calvert Cliffs. True, they provide good high paying jobs. But at what long term expense? And if there is a problem there, half of their County evacuates to guess where? Yep, St. Mary's County. We can't get cars moving during rush hour in St. Mary's on a good day, let alone adding traffic from an evacuation.

Lets say they evacuate the 28 thousand at Pax River plus the six thousand at Webster Field at the same time nobody goes anywhere. There is sure to be at least one accident along the way. And all it takes is one accident. The Commissioners do not want to hear that we do not have the infrastructure to support the massive build up St. Mary's is experiencing. And now they want to build up the Southern end of Calvert as well. We just don't the roads to support it. Simple as that. Thankfully, and so far, we have not had the need to report the horrific response that Pax River had when 911 happened. Pax was backed up. Hardly anyone went anywhere. I doubt Pax's new solution will work either. They haven't tested it yet. So, they don't know.

Do you remember the old phone books? Just inside the phone books it gave a picture of a ten mile zone that the so called experts that would be in a radiated area if Calvert Cliffs had a problem. Well, that wan assumption based on crap. The incident in Japan strongly proved that radiation from a Nuclear Plant release does NOT stay within ten miles. In fact, in Japan the radiation went out no less than 100 miles. Therefore, how much of Calvert and or St. Mary's would have a problem under that scenario? Is the Japanese Nuclear Plant still leaking radiation in to the ocean? Some say yes. Some say no.

At what point does the CCNPP need to be shut down completely? Is it safe for another 50 years? 100 years? Who knows.

phreddyp

I don't have a problem with either CCNPP or the LNG plant, I've worked at both of them, and they both seem pretty straightforward in their operations and maintenance.

Toxick

Splat
At what point does the CCNPP need to be shut down completely? Is it safe for another 50 years? 100 years? Who knows.

I don't see that it ever needs to be shut down.

Unless they get lazy or cheap. Which they are not. I worked there for a while, and I feel safer right next door to that plant than I would in a room with, say, any member of congress.

It's not like a car built in 1975 where if you opened the hood, you'd see stock parts in there dating back to 1975.

I would dare say that other than things like office furniture and a couple of aging employees, there is not a damned thing in there that was installed in 1975

It's well very regulated and maintained, parts are replaced and new technologies are implemented and in order to keep the doors open, they are very strictly regulated by the NRC. If anything even looks like it may be getting old or outdated, there is an auditor from the NRC with a microscope ready to crawl up any a-hole that needs to be crawled up to get it up to code, or the whole place goes into lockdown.

I feel safe.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I used to have some. Not sure what happened to them. I saw the news blurb about getting more, but I think I was in Maine and forgot all about it.
I was being sarcastic, those things wouldn't do much if there was a real event.

They were handed out on Nov 4.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I was being sarcastic, those things wouldn't do much if there was a real event.

They were handed out on Nov 4.
Thanks. I agree that as close as we are, I don't think it would make much difference.

limblips

PREMO Member
$hit, older than both of them and I ain't worried about me failing! Wife may have a few complaints though....

PeoplesElbow

Thankfully, and so far, we have not had the need to report the horrific response that Pax River had when 911 happened. Pax was backed up. Hardly anyone went anywhere. I doubt Pax's new solution will work either. They haven't tested it yet. So, they don't know.
What was their response, I was actually on travel on 9/11, none of my coworkers said there was any real problems leaving, they were just told to finish what they were doing, pack up their tools and go home.

I got back two weeks later to my car being towed.

limblips

PREMO Member
What was their response, I was actually on travel on 9/11, none of my coworkers said there was any real problems leaving, they were just told to finish what they were doing, pack up their tools and go home.

I got back two weeks later to my car being towed.
I was also on travel. Had a rental car and my truck was on base. I had to keep the rental for a while since they wouldn't let me on base. The Travel people went all up on me about getting back and not turning in the rental car for 3 extra days. Took a month to get it settled.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
When your number is up, it doesn't matter if it's CCNPP, an asteroid, or a bus. Life is too short to live in constant fear of how yours will end. Get right with The Man and live like tomorrow isn't guaranteed, because it isn't. JMHO.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
When your number is up, it doesn't matter if it's CCNPP, an asteroid, or a bus. Life is too short to live in constant fear of how yours will end. Get right with The Man and live like tomorrow isn't guaranteed, because it isn't. JMHO.
:dingding:

DaSDGuy

The question is how safe can you feel as a nearby Nuclear Power Plant reaches 50 years old in 2025? It is bad enough that the bridge is near 50 years old. So is Calvert Cliffs. True, they provide good high paying jobs. But at what long term expense? And if there is a problem there, half of their County evacuates to guess where? Yep, St. Mary's County. We can't get cars moving during rush hour in St. Mary's on a good day, let alone adding traffic from an evacuation.

Lets say they evacuate the 28 thousand at Pax River plus the six thousand at Webster Field at the same time nobody goes anywhere. There is sure to be at least one accident along the way. And all it takes is one accident. The Commissioners do not want to hear that we do not have the infrastructure to support the massive build up St. Mary's is experiencing. And now they want to build up the Southern end of Calvert as well. We just don't the roads to support it. Simple as that. Thankfully, and so far, we have not had the need to report the horrific response that Pax River had when 911 happened. Pax was backed up. Hardly anyone went anywhere. I doubt Pax's new solution will work either. They haven't tested it yet. So, they don't know.

Do you remember the old phone books? Just inside the phone books it gave a picture of a ten mile zone that the so called experts that would be in a radiated area if Calvert Cliffs had a problem. Well, that wan assumption based on crap. The incident in Japan strongly proved that radiation from a Nuclear Plant release does NOT stay within ten miles. In fact, in Japan the radiation went out no less than 100 miles. Therefore, how much of Calvert and or St. Mary's would have a problem under that scenario? Is the Japanese Nuclear Plant still leaking radiation in to the ocean? Some say yes. Some say no.

A tsunami large enough to take out the power plant in Japan will destroy St Marys and Calvert counties before any alarm could go off at Calvert Cliffs.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
A tsunami large enough to take out the power plant in Japan will destroy St Marys and Calvert counties before any alarm could go off at Calvert Cliffs.
:yeahthat: Not to mention the 9.0 earthquake that will kick it all off.