Do you feel safe as CCNPP reaches 50 years in the year 2025?

Tech

What was their response, I was actually on travel on 9/11, none of my coworkers said there was any real problems leaving, they were just told to finish what they were doing, pack up their tools and go home.

I got back two weeks later to my car being towed.
The only thing was people coming back after lunch, 100% check plus trunk and mirrors.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Isn't there an island off Europe/Africa that's about to collapse into the sea?
Don't know about "about to" but there is always some threat out there that should keep someone's panties all knotted up. :whistle:

PeoplesElbow

The only thing was people coming back after lunch, 100% check plus trunk and mirrors.
Damn who would think of going out for lunch after that?

I was at Camp Pendleton, my 2nd day there and didn't know anything had happened and had an M4 stuck in my face as I was wandering around the airfield.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
:yeahthat: Not to mention the 9.0 earthquake that will kick it all off.
That was the main destroyer at Fukushima, the following tsunami was just adding insult to injury. Not to mention that the damned plant was built on a known and somewhat active fault line (so much for the vaunted Japanese engineering expertise).

I forget what Richter Scale quake Calvert Cliffs is built to withstand but, if I remember correctly, it's either a 5 or 6. The plant itself is 45 feet or so above sea level.

DaSDGuy

That was the main destroyer at Fukushima, the following tsunami was just adding insult to injury. Not to mention that the damned plant was built on a known and somewhat active fault line (so much for the vaunted Japanese engineering expertise).

I forget what Richter Scale quake Calvert Cliffs is built to withstand but, if I remember correctly, it's either a 5 or 6. The plant itself is 45 feet or so above sea level.

Fukashima tsunami was 130 feet high.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Don't know about "about to" but there is always some threat out there that should keep someone's panties all knotted up. :whistle:
We’ve got a super volcano out in Wyoming that’s about 100K years past due for blowing up and taking out the human race. If that doesn’t make you start drinking then a little nuc power plant going super critical is nothing.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
We’ve got a super volcano out in Wyoming that’s about 100K years past due for blowing up and taking out the human race. If that doesn’t make you start drinking then a little nuc power plant going super critical is nothing.
Hmm, 3 super eruptions in 2,100,000 years, how does that make it 100K overdue?

xobxdoc

Fukushima lost their fuel supply for their diesel back-up generators due to the tsunami. Without the diesels, they were screwed.

PeoplesElbow

Cultural Stumbling Blocks To Acting Decisively

Some of the institutional issues have already emerged. Japan's own preliminary investigation showed disagreement and confusion over who should be calling the shots. Barrett says this was partly cultural.

"The Japanese decision-making process, of group decision-making and not individual decision-making, might have been a hindrance for dealing with a situation like this," he says. "It's hard to know, but the timeframe demands of making decisions like this, that are multi-billion-dollar decisions, would be difficult in the Japanese culture to do as promptly as maybe it would be done here."

One critical decision was whether to pump seawater into the reactors. That would certainly ruin them, but it could also keep them cool and prevent meltdowns. It appears that the engineers on site hesitated for some hours before they went ahead and did that. Per Peterson, chairman of nuclear engineering at University of California, Berkeley says that was a questionable decision.

Engineers that are afraid to make a decision alone....sounds pretty familiar to me.

3CATSAILOR

I don't have a problem with either CCNPP or the LNG plant, I've worked at both of them, and they both seem pretty straightforward in their operations and maintenance.
I too worked at the CCNPP. It certainly has good paying jobs that support several Counties. Most people know very little about radioactivity. I wouldn't either without the training I had from the NRC when I worked there. My thought is what happens to CCNPP when it reaches its time. And all Nuclear Plants do reach their time. Cars do. A boat does.. And even people do. What happens then when it reaches its time? Is it returned to its natural state prior to anything being built there? I have not heard an educated, viable answer to the question. As you know, the older "anything" gets the more problems it has. Some components can be changed out. And they do as much maintenance as they can. However, some areas they can't. I wonder about the areas they can't. As for any radiological release, it actually depends upon "what direction the wind is blowing". Where will be plume be in an incident? It all depends on several factors.

3CATSAILOR

Isn't there an island off Europe/Africa that's about to collapse into the sea?
Did you hear the latest? Now there is a Super Volcano off of Italy which is "under water" in the Ocean that may erupt. Could it cause a massive global tidal wave if it does? No one knows.

phreddyp

I too worked at the CCNPP. It certainly has good paying jobs that support several Counties. Most people know very little about radioactivity. I wouldn't either without the training I had from the NRC when I worked there. My thought is what happens to CCNPP when it reaches its time. And all Nuclear Plants do reach their time. Cars do. A boat does.. And even people do. What happens then when it reaches its time? Is it returned to its natural state prior to anything being built there? I have not heard an educated, viable answer to the question. As you know, the older "anything" gets the more problems it has. Some components can be changed out. And they do as much maintenance as they can. However, some areas they can't. I wonder about the areas they can't. As for any radiological release, it actually depends upon "what direction the wind is blowing". Where will be plume be in an incident? It all depends on several factors.
Sounds like you are worrying enough for the both of us, therefore I will leave the worrying in your capable hands. Damn I feel better already, Thank You!

Bonehead

I don't see that it ever needs to be shut down.

Unless they get lazy or cheap. Which they are not. I worked there for a while, and I feel safer right next door to that plant than I would in a room with, say, any member of congress.

It's not like a car built in 1975 where if you opened the hood, you'd see stock parts in there dating back to 1975.

I would dare say that other than things like office furniture and a couple of aging employees, there is not a damned thing in there that was installed in 1975

It's well very regulated and maintained, parts are replaced and new technologies are implemented and in order to keep the doors open, they are very strictly regulated by the NRC. If anything even looks like it may be getting old or outdated, there is an auditor from the NRC with a microscope ready to crawl up any a-hole that needs to be crawled up to get it up to code, or the whole place goes into lockdown.

I feel safe.
What did you do there ? I had 30 years in Operations.