Dockworkers strike

PeoplesElbow

Ez pass - don’t get me started. Here in Maryland no more people manning toll booths. If you don’t have an ez pass you get charged double! That’s BS. Not everyone has a credit card they can link to get an ez pass. We could probably say it is racist to charge more for non ez pass drivers. And it’s no damn way it costs the state $4.50 MORE to process a non ez pass car. And for those people that say oh it’s not free to take cash and deposit it. It’s also not free to keep up with the technology for credit cards – new card readers every couple of years, the downtime, and the phone support time, and of course the 2 1/2% plus transaction fee on every credit card taken. Credit cards are not cheap! I would like to see what the cost is for those ez pass readers at bridges and toll roads to install. Not only the cost of them and the installation cost but then the maintenance and upkeep. And then the backend systems for processing everything. And then don’t give me the BS line about the theft of cash among employees and people in general. There’s just as much theft and scams with credit cards, you are just paying for it a different way. But I don’t want to derail this thread on dockworkers.
Ez pass sure makes traffic go faster.

WingsOfGold

i’m not sure what’s more disturbing, the idea of working eight hours a day for years and years taking tolls, or the revelation reading that article that they had a union.

Can’t wait for the greeters at Walmart and Costco to get together for a collective bargaining unit.
Wally's World would just tell them AMF and hire someone else which is good.

glhs837

Power with Control
How important are you that 30 seconds out of your day will be catastrophic?
Me, not at all. Catastrophic? Not at all. Multiply those 30-60 seconds, or even minutes depending on where and when by the hundreds of thousands of millions of people slowed by that much EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. For decades. Pretty huge spend in wasted hours to keep a few jobs.

Not sure why you seem to think every position I take on any subject has to be motivated only by how I think a thing affects me personally. Tolls play a very small part in my life.

Inconveniencing millions to employ thousands seems like a pretty poor way to expend human effort.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I agree. I'm not against EZPass - I'm against the government charging me a double toll because I don't have EZPass and they don't want to provide someone to take my money.
I once got a ticket from EZPass coming back from Dulles. It steered me into the HOV lanes. The processing fee was more than the fine! Good thing I was driving my sisters car! 😂😂😂

I paid the ticket and fine.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I agree. I'm not against EZPass - I'm against the government charging me a double toll because I don't have EZPass and they don't want to provide someone to take my money.
I use the "Pay by Plate" feature with MD EZPass. They charge me $6 for the 301 bridge when I escape MD.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Me, not at all. Catastrophic? Not at all. Multiply those 30-60 seconds, or even minutes depending on where and when by the hundreds of thousands of millions of people slowed by that much EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. For decades. Pretty huge spend in wasted hours to keep a few jobs.

Psh. I have people hold me up longer than that blocking the grocery store aisle.

So every human in America gets delayed by 30 seconds. Ho hum.

Ho hum, I say.

It's not like they were going to use that 30 seconds to cure cancer or colonize Mars. That's another bitch I have about humans: they go crazy over the dumbest things. And as intolerant as I am, even *I* can share my world with the rabble. I don't like it much of the time, but I do it without blowing a gasket over every little thing. Except for when someone sits there after the light turns green. That makes me gesture and say bad words.

black dog

Free America
$ 81,000 per year 6 weeks paid vacation .... who gets 6 weeks vacation

Average income is $ 59k ... average household income is $ 75k
People that made different decisions on where to work.

I got 5 after 5 yrs in the elevator trade.
My first wife worked in the benefits office for the Sprinkler Fitters International Union, she started with 5 weeks of vacation and for each year of service they were given another week of vacation.