Doctors Face Tough Choices On Flu Vaccine

ylexot

Super Genius
Kizzy said:
That time of the year again. I'm amazed how year after year, we have a shortage of flu shots.
I don't remember there ever being a shortage before. The article even says it was caused by a manufacturer in the UK being shut down.

K

Kizzy

Last year they had a shortage of shots and ran out fairly early in the season.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
It wasn't a shortage per se, the demand was much greater than anticipated by the govt. We got all we ordered. This year a big portion of our order was deemed unusable.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
JMHO but the flu shots are a waste. They are made from last years strain and if this years strain is not similar, the shots offer no added protection.

Vince

Yeah, I got set up to get my flu shot this year and they cancelled it already. Guess I'll have to put up with the flu again. :barf:

B

Bruzilla

I just love the fact that for years people have been getting told to get a flu shot, and most didn't. They thought they would get sick, they wouldn't get it, took too much time, not worth the effort, etc. Every news station had a piece on getting one, and the PSAs were everywhere, and both were largely ignored.

Now that the word is that there'sa shortage, it's become priority number one for millions of folks to get a flu shot! Flu shots have become the Furby's of today! :lmao:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Bruzilla said:
I just love the fact that for years people have been getting told to get a flu shot, and most didn't. They thought they would get sick, they wouldn't get it, took too much time, not worth the effort, etc. Every news station had a piece on getting one, and the PSAs were everywhere, and both were largely ignored.

Now that the word is that there'sa shortage, it's become priority number one for millions of folks to get a flu shot! Flu shots have become the Furby's of today! :lmao:

I have a Furby. :moon:

ylexot

Super Genius
O'Reilly had some guests on last night to discuss the reason we are having issues with getting flu vaccines (since it has now become political). The guests were Robert Goldberg, Manhattan Institute's Center for Medical Progress and Dr. Steven Garner, Chairman of Radiology, St. Vincent Catholic Medical Center. I was surprised to hear that none of the vaccines are made in the US. They are made in the UK and France! The guests said that the government got into the vaccine business (buying vaccines and fixing prices) because of a Clinton-era law. That had the effect of removing profits from vaccines. Combine that with lawsuits and other regulations on industry and you get the effect of nobody in the US wants to make vaccines.

Bill offered the solution that the government should take it over completely. One of the guests said something like "No, the government should get out of the vaccine business completely."

Bogart

Kizzy said:
I'm amazed how year after year, we have a shortage of flu shots.
I thought the massive surpluses of unused vaccine that cost companies millions are what drove the market down to two producers?