Dog with Diabetes

Old Timer

My Jack Russell was recently diagnosed with diabetes. He did okay with the shots at first (even though we had to muzzle him). Over the weekend he started getting snappy at the muzzle so we tried distracting him and giving him his shot while he was eating some hard food and that worked for a day or two. Last night we tried giving him his shot while he was eating his dinner (he is very food driven) and he actually left his bowl half eaten and went to hide in his crate. We are at wits end as far as what to do. Does anyone know a good trainer in Charles County who can work with us so that we can get insulin shots done without causing a large amount of trauma to all of us? Thanks.

sputnik

My 10 yr old dauchsund diagnosed with DM last year. Doing good now. Where on the dog are you giving the shots? Also some insulin syringes have smaller needles. Ask at pharmacy; I use Walmart for the price. I pinch up a skin fold on the nape of the neck with a little extra pinch during the shot twice a day. Shot first; food next ---does the name Pavlov ring a bell? (couldn't resist). Good luck. Also google it for people with a similar problem.

Old Timer

I have googled it - most of the dogs on the videos are tranquil dogs that take the shots nicely - even the "difficult" dogs take their muzzle decently. The vet advised to make sure he eats before giving him the shot because giving him insulin and then having him not eat could cause a dangerous drop in his glucose levels. Thanks for the tips.

sputnik

I have the recommended WD dry food from the vet. It's available at all times. At fixed times (for me 6:30 am and pm) I give her "supper" of 1/3rd a boiled chicken breast or occasionally other meat that she really wants so at those times she sits by the counter where I keep the syringes licking her lips. (By the way she really knows how to keep time and reminds me if I forget). I got a canine glucometer and every 6mos or so get a fructosimine (sp) level after a glucose check hourly for 12 or so hours. The vet reviews the hourly checks. Also I carry a small container of honey on walks in case she does have a hypoglycemic episode (rub it on their lips and instant rebound). So far I have not had to use it but then again I'm a helicopter pet parent. Nicks of calvert sells skinless/boneless chicken breasts at a good sale prince every 3-4 weeks and I load up boiling 8 double breasts at a time and loosely wrapping the plate with siran wrap so they dry out a bit giving her more chew for the buck. I have three dachsunds all getting the same food --it really keeps their weight down. In case of emergency I highly highly recommend the MASH vet in Huntington for 24hr emergencies; my most excellent regular vet for the last 30 yr is Chpke Animal Clinic in Owings --gold stars for all their excellent care over the years. Good luck and God bless.

SugarBear47

I am so sorry to hear you have to muzzle your dog for his injections. I believe that is making it too traumatic an ordeal for him. My dog gets two insulin injections a day for a year and a half now. She sits and waits for it and sometimes even reminds me. She doesn't even flick a hair so I can tell there's no discomfort. Never never reuse a needle, even if the vet says you can. One use damages the needle tip and can cause pain. I found the best place is over the shoulder, she does not like it down her spine or the rump areas. Don't be nervous...have someone sit and pet your dog while you inject. After awhile it becomes routine for both of you. In fact it was more traumatic for me then the dog. So relax and good luck.