Donald Trump is not "Pro-Life"

SamSpade

If they sniff about our "culture"....

They don't KNOW our culture. You're getting a LOT of it traveling around the country - and probably seeing more of it than you ever thought existed.
And you're learning even more that we DO have a unique culture that goes beyond pop culture.

They're gleaning everything from tourists and Hollywood, because it's highly unlikely many of them have ever set foot here.
Years ago there was this poll conducted all around the world where people were surveyed about what they thought of Americans -
And the OVERWHELMING majority not only had never been here but an overwhelming percentage had never even MET an American.

WE at least - *came* from there (among other places). Italians or Greeks or Irish or Polish or Russians or Germans - they may not know much about the United States -
But immigrants HERE from those nations know ALL about *them*.

I've had these kinds of discussions with Europeans for ages, who claim they know all about the United States but that we know so little "about the rest of the world".
I laugh at them - you don't know "the rest of the world" either - your "rest of the world" consists almost entirely of Europeans.
Your knowledge of the U.S. is limited to the movies, pop culture and the evening news. Your knowledge of Latin American is largely limited to sports news.
Your knowledge of the Middle East and Africa is as poor as Americans - and they're next door to you.

You've been sneering at the colonials for 500 years and now that we're your superiors, it really pisses you off.

I get why people want to see the castles, and the cathedrals and cities in Europe - but they've had two to three thousand years and they're still full of crap.

Hijinx

Between the Pope and Cardinal Wuerl a lot of Catholics in Southern Maryland are starting to question their faith

*shrug* - Personal experience I guess. Largest ones I know are Mormon - or rural. As in Iowa farm boy with 20 siblings.
I don't think "The Waltons" were Catholic, but I knew rural families like that.

I think there's more culture associated with Catholic and family size, because France is largely Catholic but I don't know of large French families, but I do know of Italian families being large - BUT - my Roman history I took in college is that THAT has been that way for thousands of years.

I know people want to believe it's because of Catholicism and birth control, but honestly modern birth control is a recent thing historically, and large families go back centuries.
Prior to modern times, Asian and Indian families were large, and they're not known for being Catholic.

My point was that the Catholic religion encourages large families which most certainly isn't green.

SamSpade

My point was that the Catholic religion encourages large families which most certainly isn't green.

Oh I got that too. (Disagree over the "green" bit. Amish have large families - they're very green. Ditto farmers).

I spent half my childhood in an area populated almost entirely by Polish, Italian and Irish.
Catholic. You'd have been hard-pressed to find ANY Protestant church of any kind in the area.
I don't think I saw too many families greater than 4 kids. Mostly less.

I don't see a *religious* connection. Only a cultural one.

Midnightrider

Between the Pope and Cardinal Wuerl a lot of Catholics in Southern Maryland are starting to question their faith

That's funny, most of the Catholics I know like the pope. You have to remember that most Catholics take what they want and leave the rest anyway. They do the same thing with what the pope says

Hijinx

That's funny, most of the Catholics I know like the pope. You have to remember that most Catholics take what they want and leave the rest anyway. They do the same thing with what the pope says

So: You know some Catholics and that makes you an expert

This_person

Sounds like atheists who think they set their own morals, but their morals are based on generic judeo-Christian values because that is the society in which they were raised - and then they change their "morals" on whims.

Yeah, I see what you're talking about.

black dog

Free America
Oh I got that too. (Disagree over the "green" bit. Amish have large families - they're very green. Ditto farmers).

I spent half my childhood in an area populated almost entirely by Polish, Italian and Irish.
Catholic. You'd have been hard-pressed to find ANY Protestant church of any kind in the area.
I don't think I saw too many families greater than 4 kids. Mostly less.

I don't see a *religious* connection. Only a cultural one.

I have to ask, why do you believe that the Amish are green any different than any other farmer.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I have to ask, why do you believe that the Amish are green any different than any other farmer.

I have to ask why you would ask that question to Sam. Let's see...horse and buggy, no phones or internet, making their own clothes, no stress on the environment as in jetting around. Farmers are wonderful, and I support them, but there is a difference between the two.