Donating my hair

I_LUV_KIDS

Hello Ladies...

I have had long hair my entire life. They have been trimmed (like a few inches at a time max) and had long layers put in a few times. They are about waist long now and I'm planning to donate them to the Pantene Beautiful Lengths program. I am terrified of someone completely butchering them:cds: Don't want to take more than 9 inches off so I know I will have hair left but a lot less than I've ever had and I want them to be nice :)
I have been to Unique Chic in the past but... well I'm not crazy about the place. Can someone recommend a good salon/stylist? Or advice about who to avoid?

Thanks!!

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
My daughter donated hers when she was about 7. We went to Bella Salon in Calif., MD. I was really scared her hair would not turn out but the stylist did an excellent job and I loved her hair like that.

sockgirl77

Hello Ladies...

I have had long hair my entire life. They have been trimmed (like a few inches at a time max) and had long layers put in a few times. They are about waist long now and I'm planning to donate them to the Pantene Beautiful Lengths program. I am terrified of someone completely butchering them:cds: Don't want to take more than 9 inches off so I know I will have hair left but a lot less than I've ever had and I want them to be nice :)
I have been to Unique Chic in the past but... well I'm not crazy about the place. Can someone recommend a good salon/stylist? Or advice about who to avoid?

Thanks!!
Bella! I LOVE Amanda. She has been doing my hair for 10+ years. She's cut my hair for Locks of Love (though I will no longer recommend that charity) and has done a fabulous job each time. I've done it 6 times. I have never used Beverly, but I've seen her work and it is great. A few of my friends swear by her.

Home - Bella Salon in California, MD

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Bella! I LOVE Amanda. She has been doing my hair for 10+ years. She's cut my hair for Locks of Love (though I will no longer recommend that charity) and has done a fabulous job each time. I've done it 6 times. I have never used Beverly, but I've seen her work and it is great. A few of my friends swear by her.

Home - Bella Salon in California, MD

I love her. She has always done a great job on myself and my two girls.

terbear1225

i had mine cut to donate to locks of love this past summer. went to Bella but I don't remember the stylist. she did a great job, especially since my only instructions were leave me enough to put in a ponytail.

I_LUV_KIDS

Thank-you so much ladies! I hope to get more replies still but it sounds like Bella is the place to go :) Can anyone give me a price range idea? I just go their recording when I called

drivingdaisy

If you do have waist length hair, you will still have plenty of hair left over after the 9 inch chop. I imagine a hair stylist would have to be pretty terrible to butcher a longer hair style.

When I did mine a couple of years ago they put it in a lot of smaller ponytail to get the most out of it while keeping the most length. Hopefully who ever you chose will use that method too. If not, you should suggest it to them.

Chris0nllyn

Scalped Salon and Spa in Prince Frederick regularly works with Hospice, the Battered Women's Center, and American Cancer Society.

They are also involved Look Good, Feel Better, and have been for 20 years. A program where they shave the heads of cancer patients, teach them how to apply makeup, and style their wigs free of charge.

If you were to donate anywhere, I'd go to them.

Supporting Our Community | Scalped Salon and Spa

At Scalped Salon on Spa we like to feel like we are part of the community. We give as a way to bring health and happiness to those around us and in return it makes us feel good about the work we do and about ourselves. We are currently giving back to our community through the following organizations:

Look Good Feel Better

Look Good…Feel Better is a free program in partnership with the American Cancer Society which offers beauty techniques to women cancer patients. Scalped Salon has always been dedicated to giving back to the community and the Look Good…Feel Better program is very dear to our hearts. Our main goal in this industry is to spread our warmth and talent to make all women beautiful.

Cancer can rob a woman of her energy, appetite and strength. But it doesn’t have to take away her self-confidence. All of us at Scalped Salon are trained to teach makeup techniques to help cope with skin changes, and disguise hair loss with wigs, scarves and other accessories.

Scalped Salon is proud and excited to announce that we are now the host salon of Calvert County in The Look Good…Feel Better Program. We are thrilled to be able to take women out of the

hospital and into a cozy and inviting salon atmosphere where the clinical side of cancer is gone. This will truly be an enjoyable experience for all.

Learn more about Look Good…Feel Better…

Save the Ta-Tas

Scalped Salon and Spa believes in the fight against breast cancer and those who eagerly contribute to the fight. The Save the Ta-tas Foundation is committed to fighting cancer at every stage—including education, prevention, research, community outreach, and emotional support for those struggling with the disease. Their goal is to donate no less than .90 cents per dollar to support new gene research through a partnership with The Concern Foundation. Innovative and new, their organization is determined, like its founder ta-tas®Brand Clothing, to end this devastating disease, with a smile of course! Laughter heals, save the ta-tas!

With this, Scalped Salon and Spa is proud to sponsor Save the Ta-tas through t-shirt and specialty sales found in our salon. Please call the salon if you are interested in helping us fight breast cancer and save the ta-tas!

Locks of Love

Scalped Salon and Spa is pleased to support Locks of Love, a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. They meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics. Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure. The prostheses they provide help to restore their self-esteem and their confidence, enabling them to face the world and their peers.

Their mission is to return a sense of self, confidence and normalcy to children suffering from hair loss by utilizing donated ponytails to provide the highest quality hair prosthetics to financially disadvantaged children. The children receive hair prostheses free of charge or on a sliding scale, based on financial need. When possible, Scalped Salon and Spa will donate a large pony-tail of hair to Locks of Love following a clients request to have a considerable length of hair cut off.

Margaret Thompson receives the 2012 Calvert County Domestic Violence Awareness Award

She will accept this award on behalf of all the clients and employees at Scalped Salon and Spa, whose selfless efforts have made this possible.

Because her business often focuses on women, aiding The Battered Women’s Center was a logical next step. She’s brought women from the Center to Scalped for anything they wanted: haircuts, color, massages, facials, and nails. Each member of the “team” at Scalped donated their time and abilities to offer all the women a chance to experience a day at the salon like any of one of our clients. At least two outfits for each woman were provided by clients, along with generous money donations, as well.

“My clients are amazing,” Margaret says. “All I have to do is ask and they respond.” With their support, she is able to be open to new possibilities to give back to the community. They continually prove that Calvert County is still a place that people care about one another and when asked are willing to go beyond the call of duty and extend a caring hand.

The Calvert County 5th Annual Domestic Violence Vigil and Award Ceremony was held on Tuesday, October 23, 2012, in Prince Frederick, MD.

For more information please contact the Crisis Intervention Center-410-535-5400.

Last edited:

Roman

I have long hair that is not completely gray yet. Locks of Love said they wouldn't take it because of the gray. Not all people want a certain color, and with me being a former Cancer Patient, I would want the Gray. It's more believeable ya know? My hair is blonde/gray, mostly blonde.

sockgirl77

I have long hair that is not completely gray yet. Locks of Love said they wouldn't take it because of the gray. Not all people want a certain color, and with me being a former Cancer Patient, I would want the Gray. It's more believeable ya know? My hair is blonde/gray, mostly blonde.

That's actually crap. They told me that they would take it. If they cannot use it for their wigs they sell it off to help offset their manufacturing costs. I put on a Locks of Love event in 2011. However, I've decided to not go with them anymore. While, they may be non-profit, they still will not give them to just any cancer patient for free. They've refused people that did not have the funds to pay for them. They use a sliding scale. I'm switching to the Pantene Beautiful Lengths next go round.