Don't Look Up

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Even Film Critics Are Hating On Leonardo DiCaprio’s New Climate Change Movie: ‘Smug, Shrill, Obvious Satire’

DiCaprio plays an astronomer named Randall who, along with his colleague Kate (Jennifer Lawrence), discovers a huge comet that’s poised to destroy the Earth in six months. When they inform the president (Meryl Streep), she’s completely unconcerned and caught up with other petty problems. Most of the populace ignores the impending danger as well. The characters in the movie are thinly-veiled caricatures based on popular figures, with Streep acting as an obvious stand-in for former President Donald Trump.

McKay is no stranger to satirical films and is best known for his other titles including “The Big Short” and “Vice,” about the life of Dick Cheney. But “Don’t Look Up” is meant to be darker and more prescriptive — even if some film reviewers claim it fails on those fronts.

Film critic Chris Evangelista of SlashFilm said, “… [H]ere the filmmaker has stumbled too far from the path, and he can no longer see the forest for the trees. He’s created a smug, shrill, obvious satire that has nothing to say other than ‘Humanity is screwed.’”

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Even Film Critics Are Hating On Leonardo DiCaprio’s New Climate Change Movie: ‘Smug, Shrill, Obvious Satire’

DiCaprio plays an astronomer named Randall who, along with his colleague Kate (Jennifer Lawrence), discovers a huge comet that’s poised to destroy the Earth in six months. When they inform the president (Meryl Streep), she’s completely unconcerned and caught up with other petty problems. Most of the populace ignores the impending danger as well. The characters in the movie are thinly-veiled caricatures based on popular figures, with Streep acting as an obvious stand-in for former President Donald Trump.

McKay is no stranger to satirical films and is best known for his other titles including “The Big Short” and “Vice,” about the life of Dick Cheney. But “Don’t Look Up” is meant to be darker and more prescriptive — even if some film reviewers claim it fails on those fronts.

Film critic Chris Evangelista of SlashFilm said, “… [H]ere the filmmaker has stumbled too far from the path, and he can no longer see the forest for the trees. He’s created a smug, shrill, obvious satire that has nothing to say other than ‘Humanity is screwed.’”
The irony of this is that the three top climate shills DiCaprio, Kerry and Gore have the carbon footprint of a medium size city.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The irony of this is that the three top climate shills DiCaprio, Kerry and Gore have the carbon footprint of a medium size city.

They should set an example and completely give up fossil fuels in favor of wind and solar.

:killingme

Ha ha ha ha - I kill me! :killingme

It's always been fascinating to me when a large number of humans can glom onto a religion that the pastors blatantly and obviously don't follow themselves. Climate change is one, covid is another one.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We watched this last night and it was great! I think people either get it or they don't, but if you're even a little bit aware of news and politics you'd enjoy it. What's fun is watching Hollywood Leftists lampooning themselves without the self-awareness to realize they're doing it. :lol:

Or maybe they do and the paid prog gigs are just that.

Anyway, Leftist reviewers are calling it a "climate change spoof" and getting all snitty about it, but I have no idea how they came up with that. Perhaps the behavior of the characters hits a little too close to home for them? Dunno, but I thought it was hilarious and insightful, more social commentary than a true disaster movie.

It's long, but worth it I thought.