double by-pass surgery

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I had quadruple bypass surgery less than 2 weeks ago and I am at home recovering. My surgery was on a Friday afternoon and I was discharged the following Tuesday afternoon. I am out walking 2-3 times a day and am also doing stairs at my house.
I had my surgery at GW University hospital. I thank god for the skills of the surgical team and the care I received while at GW. The nurses in the ICU and CCU were amazing. The support from friends and family was incredible. I can never repay all these people for what they did for me. I will be forever grateful. My loving wife is the most amazing person. While I always new that, she has been incredible. I could not get thru this without her.

I did not have to go on the bypass machine. They did not have to stop my heart. The only thing I remember is waking up with the breathing tube still down my throat. That was not pleasant but fortunately, it did not last long.

I am amazed by how fast I seem to be recovering. The 1st week at home was kind of rough but the progress was still there. I did not use one of the Heart-Hugger pillows that I've heard mentioned. I was wearing a small harness around my chest that had two handles on the front of it. I could grab the handles and squeeze them together when I felt a cough coming on. It still hurts when you cough but the harness helped alot. I stopped using the harness after about 10 days altogether.

I hope you have a comfortable lounge chair at home. I can't even get comfortable in a bed no matter how many pillows and such I use. I can be very comfortable in my lounge chair. It's where I sleep, at least for now.

Like I said, I'm at home and recovering so I have lots of time. Please PM me if you want. I'd be happy to answer anything I can. Good Luck!

Thank you. Congrats on your recovery. My MIL is doing pretty well. She up and around and even washing a few dishes :lol:. My girls, 8 & 11 are there after school til we get home. They help with the stuff she can still not do, vaccum, clean the bathroom, etc. I'm sure she'll be thrilled when they give her the green light to drive again :)

PsyOps

Pixelated
I had quadruple bypass surgery less than 2 weeks ago and I am at home recovering. My surgery was on a Friday afternoon and I was discharged the following Tuesday afternoon. I am out walking 2-3 times a day and am also doing stairs at my house.
I had my surgery at GW University hospital. I thank god for the skills of the surgical team and the care I received while at GW. The nurses in the ICU and CCU were amazing. The support from friends and family was incredible. I can never repay all these people for what they did for me. I will be forever grateful. My loving wife is the most amazing person. While I always new that, she has been incredible. I could not get thru this without her.

I did not have to go on the bypass machine. They did not have to stop my heart. The only thing I remember is waking up with the breathing tube still down my throat. That was not pleasant but fortunately, it did not last long.

I am amazed by how fast I seem to be recovering. The 1st week at home was kind of rough but the progress was still there. I did not use one of the Heart-Hugger pillows that I've heard mentioned. I was wearing a small harness around my chest that had two handles on the front of it. I could grab the handles and squeeze them together when I felt a cough coming on. It still hurts when you cough but the harness helped alot. I stopped using the harness after about 10 days altogether.

I hope you have a comfortable lounge chair at home. I can't even get comfortable in a bed no matter how many pillows and such I use. I can be very comfortable in my lounge chair. It's where I sleep, at least for now.

Like I said, I'm at home and recovering so I have lots of time. Please PM me if you want. I'd be happy to answer anything I can. Good Luck!

I'm glad you shared your story and that you're doing well. Every time I read about someone having bypass surgery I think of my dad. He had his (triple with valve repair and reconstruction) in Nov of ’04. He was in the hospital a month and struggled until the day he died this past May. To this day I still wonder what he did wrong to earn such a weak and diseased heart. Of course he smoked for decades; but he ate pretty well, and was a very busy man. So I can only guess that the smoking is what got him.

But I always like to ask folks in your position what you think contributed to your heart disease? How old are you? Are you a smoker/former smoker, are you over weight? Did you eat a lot of fatty, high cholesterol foods? Did you not exercise much? Is it a family thing? Certainly you don’t have to answer any of these questions. I know they are very personal. They aren’t intended to pry into your life. I am just trying to learn what causes heart disease; especially in people that don’t suspect it would happen to them. You were released in a short period of time and seem to be doing remarkably well. I am curious what is different about your situation vs. my dad’s; and how it is you were able to get on your feet so quickly. I’m sure your attitude has a lot to do with it. My dad’s attitude wasn’t the greatest.

As I get older (I am almost 49) I get more concerned about my prospects of needing such surgery. I never smoked. I eat pretty well and exercise routinely (but not as much as I should). I am pretty thin. But I still worry because of the family history.

Freefaller

forgive me

But
I'm glad you shared your story and that you're doing well. Every time I read about someone having bypass surgery I think of my dad. He had his (triple with valve repair and reconstruction) in Nov of ’04. He was in the hospital a month and struggled until the day he died this past May. To this day I still wonder what he did wrong to earn such a weak and diseased heart. Of course he smoked for decades; but he ate pretty well, and was a very busy man. So I can only guess that the smoking is what got him.

But I always like to ask folks in your position what you think contributed to your heart disease? How old are you? Are you a smoker/former smoker, are you over weight? Did you eat a lot of fatty, high cholesterol foods? Did you not exercise much? Is it a family thing? Certainly you don’t have to answer any of these questions. I know they are very personal. They aren’t intended to pry into your life. I am just trying to learn what causes heart disease; especially in people that don’t suspect it would happen to them. You were released in a short period of time and seem to be doing remarkably well. I am curious what is different about your situation vs. my dad’s; and how it is you were able to get on your feet so quickly. I’m sure your attitude has a lot to do with it. My dad’s attitude wasn’t the greatest.

As I get older (I am almost 49) I get more concerned about my prospects of needing such surgery. I never smoked. I eat pretty well and exercise routinely (but not as much as I should). I am pretty thin. But I still worry because of the family history.

But I really don't want to post my personal medical history on the internet. There are all kinds of resources you can tap to learn about the causes of heart disease.

Now, for the important things, WAY TO GO CAPS! :yahoo:

PsyOps

Pixelated
But

But I really don't want to post my personal medical history on the internet. There are all kinds of resources you can tap to learn about the causes of heart disease.

Well, I understand. I like to ping off of people's personal experience. My dad suffered a lot leading up to and following his surgery. So I struggle to get info in light of what I could be facing.

I wish you the very best in your recovery.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I had my surgery at GW University hospital. I thank god for the skills of the surgical team and the care I received while at GW. The nurses in the ICU and CCU were amazing. The support from friends and family was incredible. I can never repay all these people for what they did for me. I will be forever grateful. My loving wife is the most amazing person. While I always knew that, she has been incredible. I could not get thru this without her.

But

But I really don't want to post my personal medical history on the internet
. There are all kinds of resources you can tap to learn about the causes of heart disease.

There are all kinds of ways to share info without sharing identifying personal details. Congratulations on your surgery and continued recovery! :buddies: