Downfall of the NFL...

Beta84

They're out to get us
I am ALL in favor of a cap of some sort that has the result the current non sense has; parity. There are better ways to do it, but, however they do it, I'm with you on the parity part.

You CAN'T start the regular season in AUGUST. You just can't. That's immoral.

Extending the division races risks baseball-izing the thing into irrelevance. Why not add a third division game as a tie breaker? Why not best 3 our of 5?
The risk is dilution.

I am against the first round bye be it cutting two teams or adding two teams so that everyone plays that first week. There is NO advantage to the bye and it's not fair for some teams to, going all the way, have to play one more game.

:buddies:

Both August and January/February are pretty crappy times to play football if you ask me. I think the current season fits just right.

Just curious, what's your problem with the current salary cap structure? Too high? Too low? Top rookies paid too much? Able to cut players without owing them a dime?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Both August and January/February are pretty crappy times to play football if you ask me. I think the current season fits just right.

Just curious, what's your problem with the current salary cap structure? Too high? Too low? Top rookies paid too much? Able to cut players without owing them a dime?

I don't have a problem with it per se; the teams need revenue structure just as well as TV does for expenses, advertisers do and fans.

The thing that makes me laugh about the cap is the $50 million 7 year deals where everyone knows that the player is going to get X million for signing, Y for the first couple of years and when year 3 or 4 kicks, in when it escalates to $15 mil a year, it's gonna get restructured.

They're just non sense numbers and restructuring, converting salary to bonus, the whole thing is a farce. It does, in my view, a disservice to the players and to the fans and ultimately, the game. Anything that contributes to cynicism is a disservice.

In any event, I think going to 18 games is a bigger threat to the health of the game than whatever contraptions they come up with to attempt to control player costs.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Another thing I do NOT like is the Thursday games. NFL is for Sunday and Monday nights plus the Thanksgiving games and I'm fine with Sat/Sun playoff games.

BuddyLee

Football addict
I don't have a problem with an 18 game schedule. It's not like it would be watered down like Basebore or Basketball with 1,000,000 games in a 10 month season. It's just two games.

The only problem I do have with it is that it would skew the record books. O.J. Simpsons 2,000 yard season in 14 games won't mean as much for example.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Another thing I do NOT like is the Thursday games. NFL is for Sunday and Monday nights plus the Thanksgiving games and I'm fine with Sat/Sun playoff games.

I agree, Thanksgiving is the only Thursday I want to watch football..and they could do away with the Monday night games too, as far as I'm concerned.

Otter

Nothing to see here
I don't have a problem with an 18 game schedule. It's not like it would be watered down like Basebore or Basketball with 1,000,000 games in a 10 month season. It's just two games.

The only problem I do have with it is that it would skew the record books. O.J. Simpsons 2,000 yard season in 14 games won't mean as much for example.

Thats what is funny bout todays game..1000 yds meant something when it was a 12 game season yet they still think its a big deal with a 16 game schedule..Its gonna be really cool when a UFL player gets 1000 yds with a 4 game schedule..:yay:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I agree, Thanksgiving is the only Thursday I want to watch football..and they could do away with the Monday night games too, as far as I'm concerned.

I'll bet I've watched the first half of well over 300 Monday night games and I'll bet I haven't seen the end of 30 of 'em!