Drift Anchor

SeaRide

dems4me said:
not big at all... its an old 1974 84 hp evinrude.... (it's a classic!:biggrin:) just doesn't do slow speeds slow enough for running a trot line :shrug: BTW, that's what I meant... a drift sock!! what I got !!!! :dance: should I have gotten two to balance out the pull on the boat... will I just go round and round in a circle giving the boat gas with only one side of the boat anchored?

The drag soc should help slow down your boat speed quite a bit. Be sure to tied the rope to the center of the stern as if you were towing a water skier.

Unless the manual book says otherwise, do not run the engine over 2,000 rpm when towing another heavy boat. I don't know what's the pitch on your prop. You may change the pitch on the prop to go much slower but again you may not like the change in speed and the way the boat shot out of the hole.

What I normally do with a large outboard engine, I just pop in / out the gear to maintain the course and the desired speed when going along the trotline.

Do you normally leave it in gear and navigate along the trotline? If so, that's probably why you could not go any slower. I like to "creep" along the trotline to catch more crabs that way without spooking them.

BTW, I have 70hp yammy on my 18 footer.

Last edited:
D

dems4me

SeaRide said:
The drag soc should help slow down your boat speed quite a bit. Be sure to tied the rope to the center of the stern as if you were towing a water skier.

Unless the manual book says otherwise, do not run the engine over 2,000 rpm when towing another heavy boat. I don't know what's the pitch on your prop. You may change the pitch on the prop to go much slower but again you may not like the change in speed and the way the boat shot out of the hole.

What I normally do with a large outboard engine, I just pop in / out the gear to maintain the course and the desired speed when going along the trotline.

Do you normally leave it in gear and navigate along the trotline? If so, that's probably why you could not go any slower. I like to "creep" along the trotline to catch more crabs that way without spooking them.

BTW, I have 70hp yammy on my 18 footer.

sounds good, but this is an older engine, I've tried popping it out of gear, going with neutral and the momentum of the flow and just steering as one would when coming up to a peir... I found the pinball effect coming into a peir is not the best way...:lol: And, even going with the current, its still too darned fast/heavy. Just like cars of the 70s where they were made with a heavier metal, same is this boat.... it's very very heavy.

I've never towed skiers, although that seems to be my next venture... towing skiers or innertubes behind me, I just don't know how long the rope needs to be. :shrug: that's why I was worried about getting the drag anchor in the prop... :shrug: I am in agreement though, the quieter and slower the trotline running, the more the crabs :dance:

Mikeinsmd

Attachments

• 478220015.jpg
    478220015.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 71

SeaRide

dems4me said:
sounds good, but this is an older engine, I've tried popping it out of gear, going with neutral and the momentum of the flow and just steering as one would when coming up to a peir... I found the pinball effect coming into a peir is not the best way...:lol: And, even going with the current, its still too darned fast/heavy. Just like cars of the 70s where they were made with a heavier metal, same is this boat.... it's very very heavy.

I used to own '60s(unknown year) c-bottom metal boat. Great boat but damn heavy like driving a tank. This same boat went through three different outboards over many years. :shrug: My Dad and I found the boat sunken covered with sand. We asked around to see who owns it, nobody owns it so we dig it out from under water (shoulder deep) and fixed it up. I've use the boat for crabbing and fishing for many years. Then I sold it cheap to my uncle. Owners will die but that boat will last forever. :twitch:

Here's the pic of me back in the late '70s on my boat down in Wachapreague, VA.

Attachments

• 68818.jpg
    68818.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 98
D

dems4me

SeaRide said:
I used to own '60s(unknown year) c-bottom metal boat. Great boat but damn heavy like driving a tank. This same boat went through three different outboards over many years. :shrug: My Dad and I found the boat sunken covered with sand. We asked around to see who owns it, nobody owns it so we dig it out from under water (shoulder deep) and fixed it up. I've use the boat for crabbing and fishing for many years. Then I sold it cheap to my uncle. Owners will die but that boat will last forever. :twitch:

Here's the pic of me back in the late '70s on my boat down in Wachapreague, VA.

Awesome, mines a bit bigger but yes, heavy as hell, but its supposed to put off some excellent waves for towing water skiers, etc... I just never used it for that yet. I just like leaving huge wakes in return to others that do the same for me. I just don't get it.... you have the entire river, and yet, you are going to come up to someone about 8 feet away who is anchored and leave a huge wake for... completely inconsiderate... not only does it jostle all those on board, their poles, but it also tends to free the anchor.... arseholes!!! So I get a good look at them and if I see them in route... I'll go full throttle past them and then look in the rearview mirror at the massive wake my ol fat azz heavy boat left for them... (accidentally of course) :whistle: :whistle:

D

dems4me

Mikeinsmd said:
What about one of those "flaps" you install on the cavitation plate of the motor? It had a rod that allows you to cover the thrust of the prop when needed. http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/...51&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=776874

You must be a mind reader, my bf and I were just discussing one of these this morning... I don't know if they make one for a 1974 motor :shrug: I'll let him look at this and see if he can adapt it to the outboard kind I have. Thanks!!! I'll send him the link :dance:

ceo_pte

Isn't 'Drift Anchor' like a double negative or something. I can't remember the grammar term for it. In essence they are opposites though! Anyone know the term? :confused:

D

dems4me

ceo_pte said:
Isn't 'Drift Anchor' like a double negative or something. I can't remember the grammar term for it. In essence they are opposites though! Anyone know the term? :confused:

false dichotomy (sp?)? oxy moron? :confused:

It lets you drift at a slower speed... and with control as you still have some power and ability to steer, unlike if you just cut the engine off and drifted. :smile:

Are you into water skiing? I would very much welcome you to be the first skiier I've ever pulled on my boat :biggrin:

D

dems4me

ceo_pte said:
oxy moron, that's it! Thanks Dems, it was driving me crazy!
:yeahthat:

I had a brainstump on that term about two years ago and it had driven me crazy too... I forget what the term was I was needing that for... I think it was for the term - Redskin receiver.
:roflmao:

ceo_pte

dems4me said:
I had a brainstump on that term about two years ago and it had driven me crazy too... I forget what the term was I was needing that for... I think it was for the term - Redskin receiver.
:roflmao:

maybe we can start an 'oxy moron' thread!

Like 'Government Worker' or
'Good Job'

:popcorn:

D

dems4me

ceo_pte said:
maybe we can start an 'oxy moron' thread!

Like 'Government Worker' or
'Good Job'

:popcorn:

Well maybe you should start one in an oxymoron forum... such as Love and Relationships on here as its anything but Love... :roflmao: j/k -- but I'm game if you are you smartceopete you. :wink:

ceo_pte

dems4me said:
Well maybe you should start one in an oxymoron forum... such as Love and Relationships on here as its anything but Love... :roflmao: j/k -- but I'm game if you are you smartceopete you. :wink:

Done!! watch it :flowers:

S

scupper trout

dems4me said:
I already bought a drift ancor though.. it looks like a big cone and is made with a heavy vynlyl type fabric and has a harness and strings.... would this strain the motor ??? :shrug:

Although they are rarely used anymore, that type of "cone" anchor (mainly used by by sail boaters) is called a drogue anchor.

I have one on my boat (it came with it) and it's used in heavy seas to help keep you pointed to windward and the swells to keep you from pitch-poling (taking water astern and flooding your cabin and boat, and causing you to scream loudly to anyone who will listen on a VHF radio to come and get you).

I like the bucket idea as mentioned in the previous post and would probably drill a bunch of holes in it just to make it more easy to work with.

And yes, it probably will / could cause the engine to labor in one way or another more, given you are dragging an object through the water.

Good Luck, Peace... :howdy: