Driveway Question

SerenitStables

I am in search of some ideas for my driveway. I need to fill in some holes and try to flatten it out. What is everyone's ideas on what to use, what is the best and most cost effecient??

Thanks,
~Jen~

ServiceGuy

SerenitStables said:
I am in search of some ideas for my driveway. I need to fill in some holes and try to flatten it out. What is everyone's ideas on what to use, what is the best and most cost effecient??

Thanks,
~Jen~

Chipped (reclaimed) Asphalt works well :yay:

Vince

ServiceGuy said:
Chipped (reclaimed) Asphalt works well :yay:
Cheaper too. If you have a long (dirt) driveway to do, get someone with a tractor and a blade to scrape it first. Then get them to drop the recycled asphalt on it.

SerenitStables said:

Thanks,
~Jen~
Depends on what type of driveway you have now.

SerenitStables

Vince said:
Cheaper too. If you have a long (dirt) driveway to do, get someone with a tractor and a blade to scrape it first. Then get them to drop the recycled asphalt on it.

Do you know where I can get it, with the best price? Or anyone to call for it? I think we are going to rent a blade and machine to do that first, but we are def going to need to put something on/in the holes. Thanks.

SerenitStables

desertrat said:
Depends on what type of driveway you have now.

It is an extremely long dirt driveway. The neighbors own half of it and have sort fixed their part, sort of. So, now I want to get the rest of it fixed, since right now, they rain makes it worse.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
Just a good tractor and blade (and someone who knows what they are doing! LOL) and a load of bankrun can fix a driveway. With all the road construction going on in the area millings will be easy to come by and can help somewhat too, if you want to resurface it.

Cowgirl

I wouldn't recommend grading the driveway yourself. You can really mess it up if you don't know what you're doing! We always used an excavator...last name Norris. For the life of me I can't remember his first name right now...It'll come to me. He did SUCH a great job on our driveway (long, bankrun driveway). We only had to do it once every several years. I'll get back to you on his first name!

SerenitStables

HorseLady said:
Just a good tractor and blade (and someone who knows what they are doing! LOL) and a load of bankrun can fix a driveway. With all the road construction going on in the area millings will be easy to come by and can help somewhat too, if you want to resurface it.

One of my student's dad is going to do it. I am sure he knows what he is doing...I hope at least.

Thanks. It really needs fixed...ask Tim!! :smile:

I am trying to at least do that, they are working on the barn today to fix the roof and stuff. We are trying to make do with what we have. Still looking to get out of there though. Been shopping around.

Thanks for the help and see you at the banquet.

~Jen~

Cowgirl

Ok, the man that did ours was Bernie Norris from Hollywood. He is sooo great. Really does a great job. It might be BA Norris or something like that in the phone book. He did our driveway when we lived on Chingville.

Winn Dixie

Song of the South
SerenitStables said:

Thanks,
~Jen~

Hi Jen,
Did you buy Fairweather's trailer or is that the stable you are renting? If it's the stable, I'm sure Gina would be more than happy to fix the road. :howdy:

SerenitStables

Winn Dixie said:
Hi Jen,
Did you buy Fairweather's trailer or is that the stable you are renting? If it's the stable, I'm sure Gina would be more than happy to fix the road. :howdy:

Hello,

No I didn't buy it, she parks it up there because there is no where for her to put it down below. We are renting the upper barn from her. Her and I have sort of talked about fixing it and she said she was going to, but she has been really busy with the lower barn and working full time and I don't want to bug her about it. So I figured I would take my student's dad's offer and let him take care of it!! :smile:

Angel

~*~*~
The Watermen side of my family used to fill in the holes with Oyster shells.... Just an idea. :shrug: :lmao: Seriously. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Unbelievable

Spay and Neuter Your Pets
Angel said:
The Watermen side of my family used to fill in the holes with Oyster shells.... Just an idea. :shrug: :lmao: Seriously. :ohwell:

You're absolutely right, oyster shells make great roads. :howdy:

SerenitStables

Angel said:

Some of the driveway has oyster shells mixed in with the dirt. Wonder where I could get some. The old neighbor used to give them to Gina, but I don't know if he still would do that. I did think about that, just not sure where to get them.

I re-did my driveway with millings (reclaimed asphalt) September of 2005. Had a guy dump 2 truckloads of millings at the end of the driveway and my father-in-law brought over his Farmall and showed me how to run it and work the blade. After I spread it out I rented a vibrating plate tamper and used that to compact it. This summer I am planning to rent a 3+ ton roller and go over it again in the hottest part of the summer. Overall, I am VERY happy with how it turned out.