Dry itchy skin

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
mv_princess said:
What's the difference between body lotion, and body oil? Is there something different you should do? Like does it need to be done right after the shower?
The lotion can be used any time, the oil should be used after you shower/bathe, while your skin is still damp, to seal in moisture.

missthang

Just Giving My Opinion
Take an Oatmeal bath or use baby oil after you get out of the shower. Don't take extremely hot showers. :elaine: :popcorn:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
I use Baby Oil Gel on rough patches like elbows, knees and feet. It's less messy that regular baby oil, but it is still kind of greasy. I was also told that air drying after you get out of the shower is best.

Cowgirl

mv, I have dry skin as well. It was way worse when I worked outside, but it still gets chapped. My hands are the worst...especially if I do dishes frequently. I use Vaseline Intensive Care...can't remember the name, but it's in the blue and white bottle, and it has vitamin E in it. I usually can't stand wearing lotion, because I hate that greasy feel. Bag Balm is the most disgusting stuff ever created....although it does work. I have also used Corn Huskers lotion, but it's not nearly as good as the VIC. The VIC is unscented and doesn't feel greasy at all. If you use it for a few days, you will notice a huge difference.

I'm so glad summer is on it's way....

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I've been using Softsoap moisturizing shower liquids ... the Lavendar is nice, as is the Pomegranite. :yay:

I'm not much for gopping on moisturizers either so I get my kicks in the shower. :ohwell:

SoMDGirl42

migtig said:
Don't laugh. I scrub with something such as a sugar scrub. I then follow it up with a moisturizing soap. Then I apply baby oil. I then air dry. I follow up with a body lotion. Once a week, I douse my body with vasoline and wrap up in a robe, socks and cotton gloves.
I am surprised no one has changed the word vasoline to ky jelly yet. Ya'll are disappointing me this morning.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
ShyGirl said:
Drink more water :jet:
Well I have started doing that.

I also went to Target last night, I bought some soap and lotion. The lotion was from Olay I think, for extra dry skin...so lets hope this works.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I'm not a big fan of using lotion either, so I tend to use moisturizing soap while in the shower (Dove, Oil of Olay, Crabtree & Evelyn, etc.). I do not use really steaming hot water, or use deodorizing soap (Dial, Safeguard, etc.), as they tend to dry my skin pretty badly.

Homer J

Power Chord
A lot of lotions have alchohol in them which will only make things worse. Find one without and save the booze for the adult beverages.

barncat

The Oil of Olay Ribbon Body Wash is the only one that hydrates my skin and lets me get by without using a lotion. The Shea Butter Body Wash is also good, but I prefer the Ribbon Body Wash.

Joe'smom

Here is the thing---you must moisturize with something thick---not in a pump but a pot or a tube----Vaseline is the best thing to use if your extremely dry.
The trick is to moisturize from head to toe within 5 mins of exiting the shower/bath before you towel off---then blot what moisture is left.
Use a mild soap---soaps with heavy perfumes are tabooo---full of alchohol!
Ivory and Dial and Irish Spring? you might as well go to lowes and buy yourself a sander or a grinder---they are the harshest things out there!!!
Use Dove or Cetaphil or if you have to have a deoderant soap Lever 2000 is ok.
Increase the humidity in your home---low humidity saps the moisture.
Wear clothing that breathes--cotton is best,,, avoid itchy fabrics like wool and polyesters. Being overheated makes you itch too.....use cold packs, ice or a bag of frozen veggies if you have an itch----don't scratch---dry skin is fragile and you then will open yourself to infection. Put some moisturizer in the fridge--when you have an itch--get a glob and rub it in--
If you do these things---I promise you will see improvement.....these are instructions that a dermatologist provides....it does work--just moisturize frequently, dont use witch hazel or rubbing alcohol or peroxide!!!!:howdy:

Cowgirl

Joe'smom said:
Ivory and Dial and Irish Spring? you might as well go to lowes and buy yourself a sander or a grinder---they are the harshest things out there!!!

But Ivory floats...isn't that good for something? :shrug:

Joe'smom

But Ivory floats...isn't that good for something? :shrug:Today 10:04 PM

Yeah...finding it in the water so you can throw it out!---:killingme

My dad used it to lubricate hand saws and the runners of doors and windows that would stick---works good on stubborn sticky wooden drawers too!! :bigwhoop:

Cowgirl

Joe'smom said:
But Ivory floats...isn't that good for something? :shrug:Today 10:04 PM

Yeah...finding it in the water so you can throw it out!---:killingme

My dad used it to lubricate hand saws and the runners of doors and windows that would stick---works good on stubborn sticky wooden drawers too!! :bigwhoop:

That's all my family used when I was growing up. We used to take it camping with us so we could bathe in the lake and not lose the soap! :lol:

And dad used to lubricate the screws with it any time he had a building project...