DUI Sentencing/Ruling

High EGT

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto
If it's her first offense and based on the BA reading, she will not go to jail in my opinion. She even bet she will get a Probation Before Judgement which means it will be dropped so long as she does not get into trouble again during the probationary period. Second offense, plan on some jail time... :nomoney:

Last, your lawyer can request a continuance in the hopes the next Judge will be different.

They should fire their lawyer and hire you:killingme

cracker_smacker

I'd prefer to go to jail for being drunk instead of for being stupid :shrug:

Wow I guess this isn't the best place to go for questions like this. I thought I might get some feedback on people's past experiences but instead I'm getting personal opinions about my gf. sorry that you've never made a mistake driving before but mistakes do happen if you've been drinking or not. She's not from here and is not use to the roads and the area was not lighted well. I apologize for wasting your time but I wonder about all of you who pass judgment with out knowing the whole situation.

cracker_smacker

Hello? That does not sound like 3 drinks to me.

You're in the wrong place if you're looking for advice on how your girlfriend can get off scot free after drunk driving and endangering others.

Read the email! I never said I'm trying to get her off scott free, I feel that jail time is a bit much for a first time offender. I did expect community service, and alcohol classes and fines. Secondly she did only have 3 drinks mistakes do happen.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I feel that jail time is a bit much for a first time offender.

Well, it's highly doubtful she's going to get jail time. The jails are packed full as it is. And don't get pissed at me - *I'm* not the one who got drunk and drove the wrong way down the street. :razz:

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
One last point, your GF is the client and the lawyer is someone you paid to do a service for you, you should voice everything you have stated to him and demand a sit down to go over the strategy for the case, if you don't agree, demand he change it.

Again bottom line is he's suppose to know and interpret the laws and represent your GF, you need to hear what he's going to present in court so they both don't look stupid in court when he states something she disagrees with. I've known lawyers who don't really do sh!t for your case but want to be paid even though his representation just got your GF some jail time.

Has he even contacted the States Attorney to see if they will plea the case down before stepping foot in a court room. Ask him why not?

Again, your GF is the client, get your lawyer in check!!!

Last, my advice is not based on trying to get your GF off from the wrong she committed by drinking and driving, but if you have retained a lawyer (about 2g in cost), be more proactive with the attorney and demand a better dialog.

Last edited:

tommyjones

:killingme

that is why I said it ............ i got red from someone in the past for using that term, the thought it was Offensive as the dreaded N word .... and having worked with Blacks ... excuse me African Americans I just love the double standard ......... I can say it and you cannot :gossip:

FU ....

Sweet sweet bigotry... glad the lack of karma allows you to fully espouse your hate.

Last edited:

bohman

There are 2 cab companies in the area and many bars will cover the cost of the cab ride home.

Which ones? I don't think that I've seen that happen. But then, I don't get out much anymore, either.

And will they send a cab to get me to the bar in the first place? :killingme

krate

Advice

Hello All,

I apologize in advance for the long post but I am desperate for some insight on my girlfriends DUI case. She is not from MD, but VA so luckily she did not have to go through a MVA hearing. She only blew a .08 and was already stopped on the shoulder when a cop pulled up because she accidently was going the wrong direction on the road. Anyways our lawyer made us feel it will be a pretty easy case and she would get a slap on the wrist. He still encourage her to take some classes, which she did but during her assessment they told her she did not have to since she scored so low.

Since we spoke with in November he has not been easy to get a hold of and had not kept us updated on the status of the case or if there was anything else we should do. Then just yesterday (3/11) he calls us to say that we will have a tough case because he just found out that the judge will be and that he always gives 2 days in jail for 1st time offenders. Now my gf is freaking out and we both are pissed off at the lawyer because he has made us feel like we did not have to worry about jail time and now 2 days before her trail tells us that she will have to serve some time. Everyone I know who has ever gotten a DUI in MD and VA has never served jail time for the 1st offense, some people are on their 2nd and 3rd offense. I find it hard to believe that a person with no record, prior convictions, a clean driving record, and a very stable job would be sent to jail for her 1st offense.

Does any out there have any advice or info. they could provide me about this matter? I thank you in advance and hope we get some good news from you guys. This was honestly an isolated incident (I know everyone says this, but this time it is for real) she isn't a very big drinker and only had 3 drinks that night. We will do anything to keep her out of jail. Please let me know ASAP if you have any useful info.

Graeme

Hi,
Try to understand that no one want's to see anyone get injured or worse. I understand that, under the condition of being arristed for the first time, and that she realize's how lucky she was that she was pulled over before somebody got injured or worse. Just the thought of Jail can change a person's life. Heck, I estimate more then 50% of people can't remember there first because they are working on there eight DUI. I sure don't want to bestow a feeling that if she just got a slap on the wrist, that it's OK to do or she won't get caught again. I would regret trying to help.
The way it would help would be, :buddies:get her and her Lawyer to post-pone (for a good reason) and if she is lucky she won't end up with the judge that can't be fair as the rest!
Learn the rules of the road as far as social drinking responsibilities, and get her eye's checked out. Night blindness can put you at the end of the road as well as not knowing your imparment drinking limit.

Mdcopswife

Boss Lady
Her punishment should be to go to the morgue and look at bodies. Maybe she can help clean up after some idiot drunk driver killed a family of 6. Maybe go with an officer to the home of a parent to explain why little Susie is dead. I have no sympathy for her. Everyone makes mistakes and she should suffer the consequences of her actions to the fullest extent.
Sorry to be harsh. I lost a loved one to a drunk driver. There are no excuses for doing something that could kill you or someone else.

General Lee

Lawyers will ALWAYS tell you what they think will happen..................but ultimately it's up to the judge. Don't be pissed at the attorney cause he told you one thing, and another thing may happen, be pissed off at your friend for blowing a .08 and "accidently" driving the wrong way.........................

Bingo!