Dumb question for Skiiers

H

HouseCat

I want to learn to ski this winter. Just a day of lessons and flopping down the kiddie slope. (I hear it is impossible the next day anyway from the soreness... lol)

So...problem is, I have a torn rotator cuff. It only hurts when pushing upwards or out to my side with weight on it. Does not hurt if I use the elliptical machine or pushing downwards in any direction. Granted, I realize skiing probably requires more effort/control of the arms, so this is why I'm asking..

Is this a bad idea? Or, will I be ok if I just take it real easy?

LordStanley

I know nothing
I want to learn to ski this winter. Just a day of lessons and flopping down the kiddie slope. (I hear it is impossible the next day anyway from the soreness... lol)

So...problem is, I have a torn rotator cuff. It only hurts when pushing upwards or out to my side with weight on it. Does not hurt if I use the elliptical machine or pushing downwards in any direction. Granted, I realize skiing probably requires more effort/control of the arms, so this is why I'm asking..

bad idea!!!!

Nanny Pam

don't you even think about it!

My hubby is home for the next 5 or 6 weeks. He just had the RC surgery on Friday.

Can you say PAIN?

Larry Gude

Strung Out

...it's torn, right? Then it is a simple matter of whether or not you can deal with the pain. As I understand it, you can't make it worse. Sounds like you already deal with it just fine.

Go SKIING!!!!

Anyone feel free to correct me if I have this wrong.

PS, are you SURE it is torn?

donbarzini

...it's torn, right? Then it is a simple matter of whether or not you can deal with the pain. As I understand it, you can't make it worse. Sounds like you already deal with it just fine.

Go SKIING!!!!

I'm with Larry. As long as it's torn now and not recuperating from surgery, then as long as you can stand the pain.....

Just don't do "The Agony of Defeat"

H

HouseCat

Go SKIING!!!!

Very sure. :(

SCREW it. I'm going for it. If it starts hurting, I'll throw someone off their tube and take that down! :lmao:

Either way, I am going to do some sort of snow related activity this winter and have fun.

If it were me, I wouldn't. Not from the standpoint of injuring it more, but rather from tracking downhill, get a little speed going, lean into a turn and HOLY CR*P DOES THAT HURT and your leg collapses under you for the pain and you dive into a snow machine or a tree.

Been there...... :coffee: Not pretty....

H

HouseCat

If it were me, I wouldn't. Not from the standpoint of injuring it more, but rather from tracking downhill, get a little speed going, lean into a turn and HOLY CR*P DOES THAT HURT and your leg collapses under you for the pain and you dive into a snow machine or a tree.

Been there...... :coffee: Not pretty....

Did your legs n skis do the helicopter thing before flying into the snow machine?

Did your legs n skis do the helicopter thing before flying into the snow machine?

:lmao: No, just kinda crumbled in a heap a did a headfirst into the snow fence around the blower. Got cut up pretty good by the fence and the newly sharpened skis, wrecked my shoulder. I was done for the day....

H

HouseCat

all that on the beginner slope huh? wow...

hey, why do they "sharpen" skis?

Last edited by a moderator:
all that on the beginner slope huh? wow...

:grrrrrrrr: I was on an intermediate trail on Okemo in VT. The only thing the bunny slope was good for was stashing the bottle of Chablis in the snowbank near the top of the lift.

:lmao: I miss those days....

morningbell

hmmmmmm
Very sure. :(

SCREW it. I'm going for it. If it starts hurting, I'll throw someone off their tube and take that down! :lmao:

Either way, I am going to do some sort of snow related activity this winter and have fun.

I know you want to have fun but what did your Dr. say?????
Post skiing pain includes arms and shoulders. Think about when you fall, you're arms are going out in front of you. It's a bad idea.

jsouthan

Coming from someone who has part of her rotator cuff permanently detached (not worth the surgery to fix it -- long story), I would go. The part that is going to suck is when you need to use your poles to push you across the flat areas (between trails, off the lift, through the lift lines, etc.). The downhill part will probably be the easiest for you, provided you don't take a major tumble. Just know that going in, if you do seriously fall and tear it worse, you may not have the option of waiting it out to get it taken care of when it's more convenient. But, if it was me, I would go. Actually I am going this winter.:yay:

LordStanley

I know nothing
(If this is this a joke)

Why do they "sharpen" skis?

the edges of skiis are metal... sharpening allows the skiis to bite into turns better. Its the same as sharpening ice skates. It just gives you better control.

Most rental skiis have crappy edges. I would have them sharpened first.