dumb question need help

Dupontster said:
His brother does and he can borrow his card.....Do they have a good skillet?
They have really nice non-stick skillets. I can't remember name brand, but I do remember admiring the quality and being tempted to put it on my Christmas list...:yay:

Mikeinsmd said:
I think I'm a non-stick kinda guy. I mainly fry eggs, scrapple & bacon.
If you get a good cast iron and season it well they're virtually non-stick. They're also the only ones I've found that don't warp when hot.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
kwillia said:
They have really nice non-stick skillets. I can't remember name brand, but I do remember admiring the quality and being tempted to put it on my Christmas list...:yay:

I looked at it over the weekend - I think the brand you were looking at is "Living Home" and it seemed pretty nice. They also had a set by Wolfgang Puck. I'm still debating the pros and cons of non-stick vs. regular. I hated the RevereWare I used to have and need to replace it ASAP with something else. That and a couple of cast iron pans. Those I will miss terribly. :ohwell:

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
jazz lady said:
I looked at it over the weekend - I think the brand you were looking at is "Living Home" and it seemed pretty nice. They also had a set by Wolfgang Puck. I'm still debating the pros and cons of non-stick vs. regular. I hated the RevereWare I used to have and need to replace it ASAP with something else. That and a couple of cast iron pans. Those I will miss terribly. :ohwell:

http://www.overstock.com/?PAGE=CATLIST&PRO_SUB_CAT=1458&PRO_SSUB_CAT=6430 :yay:

Don't say I never did anything for you...

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Check QVC.com also. I was in their outlet store over Turkey holiday and they had a ton of Cook's Essentials stuff for great prices. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
crabcake said:
Check QVC.com also. I was in their outlet store over Turkey holiday and they had a ton of Cook's Essentials stuff for great prices. :yay:
Morning Bootsie! :smoochy:

I haven't read the whole thread - has anyone suggested using a double layer of aluminum foil, crimp the edges to make sides, then broil the steak on that? That's what I do when I'm just making for one and too lazy to fire up the grill.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
crabcake said:

Thanks to you too. :smooch:

busybee

What I do is marinate the steaks in worchestershire sauce and sprinkle some seasonings on. Let sit for about 10 mins.

Cover bottom of broiler pan with aluminum foil and then place grate on top. Heat oven broiler. Place steaks on broiler pan, put in oven. I use the middle oven rack. 5-6 mins per side will get you a rare steak. I think the last ones I cooked were 7-8 mins per side. Keep an eye on them, and when you poke them, if they run red, give them another minute.

Since yo don't have a broiler pan, you can do this: take the cookie sheet, line with foil. cover a cooling rack with foil and poke holes thru so the juices can go down to the cookie sheet. Broil steaks. Make sure the juices will fall into the cookie sheet, otherwise you will have a mess, and lots of smoke.

Enjoy.

T

tikipirate

From the Good Eats website:
/
1 boneless rib eye steak, 1 1/2-inch thick
Canola oil to coat
Kosher salt and ground black pepper

Place 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees. Bring steak(s) to room temperature.

When oven reaches temperature, remove pan and place on range over high heat. Coat steak lightly with oil and season both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper to taste.

Immediately place steak in the middle of hot, dry pan. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium rare steaks. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns.) Remove steak from pan, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 2 minutes. Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.
/

Just to stir the pot... I have had moderate success cooking rib eye in the microwave. Coat it in Tony Chachere's (sp?) blackening seasoning and zap on high for a few minutes. For some reason, rib eye is the only steak that this works with, perhaps due to the open grain structure. Certainly not ideal, but it works if you're stuck at work and want some real food. And nothing raises the ire of coworkers like having to smell a freshly cooked steak...with asparagus...and hollandaise.