dying process

spinner

I've been though this with my mom, she had hospice when she was quite lucid and mobile. They helped her accept the things that were happening, they listened to her when she had things she wanted to say but couldn't say them to those of us close to her. Hospice was there every step explaining and supporting us. I don't think they were called in prematurely for your uncle, this what they do. My mom died peacefully here at home with people that loved her, we knew what to expect so the whole process was made a lot easier. I can't say enough good things about hospice, we couldn't have done
it without them.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
I am currently going with Hospice with my Mom. She only has a few weeks left....

While it hurt like no one knows to call in Hospice. I feel like that was the best thing we could have done. There is a sheet they give you, "What to expect when someone is dying" For both the family and the one who is going thru the process.

I highly suggest someone sit down with your Aunt and read it with her. She may notice a lot of the signs and it may click with her why giving him fluids is causing more harm then good.

I am sorry to hear about your Uncle if you need someone close to talk to that is going thru the process I can lend as much information as possible.

frequentflier

happy to be living
This is the answer I am looking for! I greatly appreciate everyone's responses, heartfelt condolences and stories that they have shared. I am not with my uncle as he is still back in my hometown, and whatever info I can learn to help my extended family (no one is in medicine in the family) I want to learn.
My uncle is still mobile and even getting out for car rides and short visits, so perhaps they called hospice prematurely. Or, perhaps, they are just getting ready for the time hospice comes in. I'm a little sketchy on some details because I am not there. Hopefully, I will make a quick trip up there soon!

Thank you all!

:huggy:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
This is the answer I am looking for! I greatly appreciate everyone's responses, heartfelt condolences and stories that they have shared. I am not with my uncle as he is still back in my hometown, and whatever info I can learn to help my extended family (no one is in medicine in the family) I want to learn.
My uncle is still mobile and even getting out for car rides and short visits, so perhaps they called hospice prematurely. Or, perhaps, they are just getting ready for the time hospice comes in. I'm a little sketchy on some details because I am not there. Hopefully, I will make a quick trip up there soon!

Thank you all!
:huggy:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I am currently going with Hospice with my Mom. She only has a few weeks left....

While it hurt like no one knows to call in Hospice. I feel like that was the best thing we could have done. There is a sheet they give you, "What to expect when someone is dying" For both the family and the one who is going thru the process.

I highly suggest someone sit down with your Aunt and read it with her. She may notice a lot of the signs and it may click with her why giving him fluids is causing more harm then good.

I am sorry to hear about your Uncle if you need someone close to talk to that is going thru the process I can lend as much information as possible.

I am so sorry for your sweet Momma. :bawl:

SoMDGirl42

Thank you all!

Libby, if he is still mobile enough to get out and about, he should (at this point) be mobile enough to hydrate himself. The added fluid will put added stress on his already failing body causing him to go into CHF (congestive heart failure). It is basically drowing in your own fluid when your heart is not strong enough to adequetely pump the blood, the kidneys don't work hard enough to purify his blood which makes him pee and eliminate the extra fluid they are giving him. He is much better off not receiving extra fluids IMO. Not being able to breathe is a horrible feeling. Once the lungs begin filling up with the extra fluid, that is how he going to feel. I believe their choice to stop IV fluids is the correct choice, IMO. It's hard, but it's probably best.

:huggy: for you and your family.

ginwoman

I did not read all the answers but I have been threw this more then I would like...treatment near the end is ANYTHING antibiotics, fluids etc..part of the natural process is the dehydration which helps shut down the body..even not treating pneumonia is part of the process...making them comfortable is what hospice does..ie pain killers etc...sorry you are going threw this..HUGS

This answer confuses me. I'm under the impression that at the end they don't give anything such as fluids or antibiotics because that does effect the natural process of dying and drags out the misery. Maybe I'm reading this wrong Paso.

SoMDGirl42

This answer confuses me. I'm under the impression that at the end they don't give anything such as fluids or antibiotics because that does effect the natural process of dying and drags out the misery. Maybe I'm reading this wrong Paso.

I think she may have meant, ANYTHING BUT

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Thank you :huggy: She will be in less pain when this is over so it's sort of a small blessing

She will :huggy:

I know this may be a terrible subject to bring up but it really helps when the patient understands what is going on and is willing to accept their situation. My mother & grandfather as with many friends of mine accepted their situation and their final days were enjoyable. My grandmother's final days were not. It wasn’t until the hours before her death I felt she had some peace. During that time, my husband burst at the seams with emotions and I was glad the Hospice worker was able to help him sort that out after she cried with him. He really held so much in and endured so much. He loved my grandma very much but she was narcissistic and it put heavy demands on us all. So to anyone going through this now, I do hope your loved ones have some peace. :huggy: