Dylann Roof..Death penalty or Life in Prison

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
When you dehumanize people...you dehumanize people. Same thing Roof did; they are unworthy. They are lesser.

This is an about dehumanizing anyone Larry… It's simply about removing a dangerous element from the environment in the most expedient, efficient and cost-effective manner.

glhs837

Power with Control
Except they were law abiding citizens going about their lives, harming no one. And no, I don't view it as a deterrent. If he can never live among society again, just end him and let him pass from memory. I dont want to read articles 30 years from now like I still do about Manson about whats up with him in prison. And possible socoetal benefit of keeping that insane bugger alive for 40 years is far, far outweighed by the cost of keeping him alive for that long. Manpower, food, housing, etc, not worth it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This is an about dehumanizing anyone Larry… It's simply about removing a dangerous element from the environment in the most expedient, efficient and cost-effective manner.

So, is a dog human or are humans dogs? When I say 'this is nothing more than putting down a rabid dog" I dehumanize him. Or is he a rat? Or an ape? Or a skunk? A monster?

Dylan Roof is a human being who grew to believe his skin color makes him superior to black people. His mind is poor enough to not be able to see how untrue that it. His life became enough of a failure and frustration that he wanted or needed to kill some inferior beings to satisfy whatever it is in him that murdering innocent lesser beings fed.

He's a ####ed up human being but a human being none the less. If we see him as some animal, then we're just debating what qualifies anyone else as lesser and validating his basic premise.

We're better than that as a society. Or ought to be aspiring to be so. We kill him, out down a rabid dog, we absolve ourselves, one and all, for his actions. Other white supremacists aren't forced to deal with it. People who ignored warning signs get a free pass as he'll never be able to say "Yeah, so and so influenced me, I told this person or that". It's a messy thing. We should not get off so light nor should we want to.

:buddies:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
So, is a dog human or are humans dogs? When I say 'this is nothing more than putting down a rabid dog" I dehumanize him. Or is he a rat? Or an ape? Or a skunk? A monster?

None of the above.

A threat.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Dylan Roof is a human being who grew to believe his skin color makes him superior to black people. His mind is poor enough to not be able to see how untrue that it. His life became enough of a failure and frustration that he wanted or needed to kill some inferior beings to satisfy whatever it is in him that murdering innocent lesser beings fed.

He's a ####ed up human being but a human being none the less. If we see him as some animal, then we're just debating what qualifies anyone else as lesser and validating his basic premise.

We're better than that as a society. Or ought to be aspiring to be so. We kill him, out down a rabid dog, we absolve ourselves, one and all, for his actions. Other white supremacists aren't forced to deal with it. People who ignored warning signs get a free pass as he'll never be able to say "Yeah, so and so influenced me, I told this person or that". It's a messy thing. We should not get off so light nor should we want to.

Well, since you want to go down that path...

When we say "humanize" or "dehumanize" we are referring to that elusive quality of "humanity". Compassion, civility, kindness, benevolence, etc. If you want to define it as a species - "human" vs. a dog or a skunk or a rat - they nothing can ever "dehumanize" them. As such, they should be put down like the rabid human they are and it won't dehumanize them in any way because it can't. He will in fact always be a human, dead or alive.

FYI, human beings are animals. They are not minerals or vegetables. Animals. Higher functioning animals, but animals nonetheless. You say "if we see him as some animal..." - what alternative would you suggest?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Anyway, this high school pot smoker existentialism has been interesting - okay, fine, no it hasn't - but the boat to Fort Sumter is leaving in two hours and I intend to be on it.

So ya'll have fun!

glhs837

Power with Control

So, where do you draw the line? Is there any line, or do just keep everyone alive? We dont need to be absolved for anything. He did this. I don't need him around for any sort of object lesson. Sometimes, things are as simple as they appear to be. This person, they decided that killing innocents was okay. Insane? Evil? I'll let you worry on that bone. Whatever the reason, it's a heinous crime that cost society the contributions of the people he killed. I should want to waste a lot more resources keeping him alive for the next 40 or more years? Lawyers, counselors, guards, cooks,, facilities, food power? Millions, for what? Whatever it is, it's not worth it in my opinion. If I judge my worth, or societies worth on keeping this person alive I think I'm using the wrong yardstick.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So, where do you draw the line? Is there any line, or do just keep everyone alive? We dont need to be absolved for anything. He did this. I don't need him around for any sort of object lesson. Sometimes, things are as simple as they appear to be. This person, they decided that killing innocents was okay. Insane? Evil? I'll let you worry on that bone. Whatever the reason, it's a heinous crime that cost society the contributions of the people he killed. I should want to waste a lot more resources keeping him alive for the next 40 or more years? Lawyers, counselors, guards, cooks,, facilities, food power? Millions, for what? Whatever it is, it's not worth it in my opinion. If I judge my worth, or societies worth on keeping this person alive I think I'm using the wrong yardstick.

I dunno. That's the good part of this being just a forum; we can discuss it.

I TOTALLY get it when the family member of some murder victim says they have peace and closure when the killer is executed. That's easy for me. What I don't get is those who lose a loved one and FORGIVE the killer and do NOT want them executed. That right there, man, there's something for me to learn. Execution is easy. One of the things I try to do in my life these days is trying and challenge myself to, if not agree with, then try and learn from things like this; where I know one side of the equation and don't get the other.

If you are a fan of DNC sequencing, of the genome project, then, what if there were a switch (and there is) that could turn off obesity? Would you be for that? A switch that made a baby of the future immune to cancer? Or a patient of the future curable, not just treatable?

What if Dillon Roof has a switch we can find and identify and create a vaccination so that the Adam Lanzas, Gerald Loughners, the Columbine kids, the Dylan Roofs of the future are immunized against that? What if killing him is killing off a reasoned chance at gaining that ability?

PsyOps

Pixelated
What if Dillon Roof has a switch we can find and identify and create a vaccination so that the Adam Lanzas, Gerald Loughners, the Columbine kids, the Dylan Roofs of the future are immunized against that? What if killing him is killing off a reasoned chance at gaining that ability?

So, you're suggesting Roof become a lab rat?