Dyson Animal

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
We got there when they opened and there was only one DC41 on the shelf (2 each of the other models that came with a gift card), and it was all mine! :bann: The website lists it as being in stock at the California location so either it doesn't update immediately or they have some more in the back. It was a cinch to put together and we may or may not have spent the last hour vacuuming every square inch of our house/furniture. :lmao: Granted, we've only had it for a couple hours but we can already see that it's head and shoulders above any other vacuum we've owned.

The good:

- We have lowish pile carpet upstairs and a deep pile area rug in our bedroom. Before, I had to manually change the height on the vacuum but the Dyson went straight from low to high pile and automatically adjusted accordingly. Not that big a deal, but it saves a step and I like it.
- The suction is strong, which made cleaning the couch much more efficient.
- The hose is really long so I can keep the vacuum on the first floor and clean all of the stairs without having to move it.
- It gets right up against the wall. Another thing that may not be such a big deal, but I hate having to go back with the hose and get that little inch of carpet up against the wall that was missed.
- The hygienic bin emptying feature. All the dirt/pet hair is contained in the bin and you push a button to release the "trap door" on the bottom which empties everything out into the trash can. So I can take my little bin downstairs and empty it without worrying about stuff floating out on my way down.
- It's a little quieter and a little lighter than my old vacuum. Not by much, but it's noticeable. Also, there is a handle for lifting farther down on the vacuum, which makes it easier to carry around.
- The filters are all washable and don't need to be replaced.

The meh:

- Dustin wishes there was more metal (not sure how practical that would be :lol:). There are a few parts that seem like they might break easily that he feels could have been stronger if they were metal.
- When you tilt the handle back to start vacuuming, you just pull it back. I'm used to a little release button that you step on so whenever I pull it and it makes a weird clicking sound I'm afraid I'm breaking it. :lol:
- There isn't a way to attach the little mini turbine/pet hair attachment to the vacuum when not in use. Just a little annoying.

Last edited:

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Thought those were supposed to last forever?

The vacuum works great. The electrical cord has worn out at the top and the wiring is exposed. D says he can replace it. :bann:

I don't relish the though of an electrical shock each time I vacuum.

I would buy another Oreck if need be. The weight and power of the suction sells.

The Dyson reviews are great but it sounds too heavy for me to handle.

I'm taking the Eureka to Vintage Values on Saturday unless somebody here wants it.

dustin

UAIOE
The vacuum works great. The electrical cord has worn out at the top and the wiring is exposed. D says he can replace it. :bann:

I don't relish the though of an electrical shock each time I vacuum.

I would buy another Oreck if need be. The weight and power of the suction sells.

The Dyson reviews are great but it sounds too heavy for me to handle.

I'm taking the Eureka to Vintage Values on Saturday unless somebody here wants it.

shouldnt be too hard to replace or fix the cord correctly.

the dyson doesn't feel that heavy. with ours you pick it up at the canister handle (canister locks in) and not the "manuevering handle". it actually tells you to pick it up that way in the instruction manual. by doing so you dont use as much arm strength (just lift with your legs, not your back).

even though our old vacuum only weights a couple pounds more it feels like 10 pounds more.

you could always play around with the store model

dustin

UAIOE
but a lot of little plastic parts so be careful, they break easily. That is my only complaint.

that is my beef with it too. seems like they could have used some steel hinges or reinforcement at certain points... especially for an MSRP of $600

time will tell... it does have a 5 year parts/service warranty but "normal wear" parts are not covered, which I noticed the normal wear parts are the ones i am concerned about.

i'm impressed with the efficiency of it. we did some side by side comparison testing with our old vacuum and the dyson beat it hands down (granted it is an $80 eureka)

the old vacuum is now the designated car vacuum (dont have a shop vac)

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
that is my beef with it too. seems like they could have used some steel hinges or reinforcement at certain points... especially for an MSRP of $600

time will tell... it does have a 5 year parts/service warranty but "normal wear" parts are not covered, which I noticed the normal wear parts are the ones i am concerned about.

i'm impressed with the efficiency of it. we did some side by side comparison testing with our old vacuum and the dyson beat it hands down (granted it is an $80 eureka)

the old vacuum is now the designated car vacuum (dont have a shop vac)

Call and register is with Dyson. They are fantastic about replacing parts. I have snapped the "boy" part on the hose that snaps it to the attachments 3 times using the floor attachment. Called Dyson and they shipped a new hose out immediately without any grief. I've had mine for 2.5 years and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. I vacuum 2-3 times a week, rinse the filters every few months when they look funky, and it still works great.

dustin

UAIOE
Call and register is with Dyson. They are fantastic about replacing parts. I have snapped the "boy" part on the hose that snaps it to the attachments 3 times using the floor attachment. Called Dyson and they shipped a new hose out immediately without any grief. I've had mine for 2.5 years and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. I vacuum 2-3 times a week, rinse the filters every few months when they look funky, and it still works great.

Nickel registered online like the same day.

Good to know they are quick with the replacement parts.

Hopefully it won't break though. I kept the box for the next time we transfer so the movers dont jack it up.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
We got there when they opened and there was only one DC41 on the shelf (2 each of the other models that came with a gift card), and it was all mine! :bann: The website lists it as being in stock at the California location so either it doesn't update immediately or they have some more in the back. It was a cinch to put together and we may or may not have spent the last hour vacuuming every square inch of our house/furniture. :lmao: Granted, we've only had it for a couple hours but we can already see that it's head and shoulders above any other vacuum we've owned.

The good:

- We have lowish pile carpet upstairs and a deep pile area rug in our bedroom. Before, I had to manually change the height on the vacuum but the Dyson went straight from low to high pile and automatically adjusted accordingly. Not that big a deal, but it saves a step and I like it.
- The suction is strong, which made cleaning the couch much more efficient.
- The hose is really long so I can keep the vacuum on the first floor and clean all of the stairs without having to move it.
- It gets right up against the wall. Another thing that may not be such a big deal, but I hate having to go back with the hose and get that little inch of carpet up against the wall that was missed.
- The hygienic bin emptying feature. All the dirt/pet hair is contained in the bin and you push a button to release the "trap door" on the bottom which empties everything out into the trash can. So I can take my little bin downstairs and empty it without worrying about stuff floating out on my way down.
- It's a little quieter and a little lighter than my old vacuum. Not by much, but it's noticeable. Also, there is a handle for lifting farther down on the vacuum, which makes it easier to carry around.
- The filters are all washable and don't need to be replaced.

The meh:

- Dustin wishes there was more metal (not sure how practical that would be :lol:). There are a few parts that seem like they might break easily that he feels could have been stronger if they were metal.
- When you tilt the handle back to start vacuuming, you just pull it back. I'm used to a little release button that you step on so whenever I pull it and it makes a weird clicking sound I'm afraid I'm breaking it. :lol:
- There isn't a way to attach the little mini turbine/pet hair attachment to the vacuum when not in use. Just a little annoying.

So, Nickel, give us (me) an update on your dyson.... I have a shark now (in addition to a Kirby (generation 3) and a OLD hoover wind tunnel).

I love the suction on the shark-easy to clean-no bags to mess with-BUT I HATE having to constantly clean Bogarts hair off of the bristles (chow chow hair). A friend insists I need a dyson Pet.....

So I am reaching out for more info!!!!!!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
So, Nickel, give us (me) an update on your dyson.... I have a shark now (in addition to a Kirby (generation 3) and a OLD hoover wind tunnel).

I love the suction on the shark-easy to clean-no bags to mess with-BUT I HATE having to constantly clean Bogarts hair off of the bristles (chow chow hair). A friend insists I need a dyson Pet.....

So I am reaching out for more info!!!!!!
I hope this is still relevant; I haven't been on the forums in...a very long time. :lol:

Our Dyson is still kicking ass and taking names. We don't actually live in a house with carpet right now, but I do use it to vacuum our wood and tile floors since I hate sweeping. The pet hair attachment does a fantastic job on our microfiber furniture and the filters NEVER get clogged. We have a cat and 2 dogs (one of which is a Great Pyrenees/Collie mix who sheds like her life depends on it) and life would be miserable without the Dyson.

I will say that it did damage our rug, but I'm not sure if the age/quality of the rug itself had something to do with that since it wasn't an issue until recently. It was a shag type rug and was about 8 years old (not super high quality either). In the last year or so the Dyson was pulling fibers out but again, that could be because it was a poor quality rug.

Also, :howdy: SOMD.

I hope this is still relevant; I haven't been on the forums in...a very long time. :lol:

Our Dyson is still kicking ass and taking names. We don't actually live in a house with carpet right now, but I do use it to vacuum our wood and tile floors since I hate sweeping. The pet hair attachment does a fantastic job on our microfiber furniture and the filters NEVER get clogged. We have a cat and 2 dogs (one of which is a Great Pyrenees/Collie mix who sheds like her life depends on it) and life would be miserable without the Dyson.

I will say that it did damage our rug, but I'm not sure if the age/quality of the rug itself had something to do with that since it wasn't an issue until recently. It was a shag type rug and was about 8 years old (not super high quality either). In the last year or so the Dyson was pulling fibers out but again, that could be because it was a poor quality rug.

Also, :howdy: SOMD.
I've had my Dyson Animal since 2002 or 03 still works very well. Just keep the filters clean. Very pleased. Oh I have 2 Border Collies, 1 Jack Russell and a Beagle mix. (That kinda sounds like 12 Days of Christmas) :yahoo:

davidsonville

love it!

I've had one for eight years and it is the vacuum that will last a lifetime. We have four dogs, three are indoors and it really picks up the hair from a bare floor and carpet. It's a bit heavy but that's what you get with a powerful vacuum. If something gets clogged in it, you can easily take a penny and open up the chambers in the vacuum to dislodge it and put it back together. It's user friendly. PLUS, if the brush wears out, you just call Dyson and they send it to you...they are staffed by english-speaking americans who are friendly and knowledgeable. I've NEVER had an issue with this vacuum that could not be remedied easily. Best price I've found is at Best Buy...support local!