Eggs

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I like to think of an egg as something that just magically appears. The thought of it being squirted out of a chicken is somewhat gross.

Chicken uterus. :dead:

rio

Don't ever get eggs fresh....you'll really be grossed out. They're often covered in crap when I bring them in from the coop. It is cool to see one lay an egg, though.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Don't ever get eggs fresh....you'll really be grossed out. They're often covered in crap when I bring them in from the coop. It is cool to see one lay an egg, though.
Pshaw..I grew up on a farm out in the boonies.

But I've always wondered who the first person was that saw an egg fall out of a chicken's butt and say to themselves: "Ahma try and eat that".

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
If you don’t wash them they’ll last a month or more sitting out, but if you do wash them it’s more like two weeks.

UglyBear

Fun fact: birds, fish and reptiles don’t have a pee hole and a poop hole separately, they have one “cloaca”. They use it for everything — poop, pee and reproduction. 🤓

So an egg technically doesn’t come out of a chicken’s butt (it doesn’t have one) , but it does come out of the same hole as poop. So that IS poop on unwashed eggs.
(I learned this only in high school biology class).

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Fun fact: birds, fish and reptiles don’t have a pee hole and a poop hole separately, they have one “cloaca”. They use it for everything — poop, pee and reproduction. 🤓

So an egg technically doesn’t come out of a chicken’s butt (it doesn’t have one) , but it does come out of the same hole as poop. So that IS poop on unwashed eggs.
🤓

frequentflier

happy to be living
Fresh eggs are the way to go if you can get them- poop and all. A friend keeps us stocked and they don't have to be refrigerated and so what if they have to be washed? I know the chickens are eating good food and are not being pumped up with a bunch of chemicals.

HemiHauler

Washed eggs don't necessarily have to be refrigerated - it depends on how they are washed. Here in the U.S., eggs are washed in such a way which damages the cuticle (warm water and they are sprayed with an anti-bacterial solution). With the cuticle damaged, they have to be refrigerated. Every place I've ever visited or lived in Europe, eggs are washed in a way that doesn't damage the cuticle and therefore don't require refrigeration. You could find eggs stacked anywhere a grocery store at room temp, and they were clean and had no traces of poo on the shell. Never caught salmonella or another pathogen.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Just had a chicken butt drop on a sesame roll with affinated curds. I like to break the membrane between the thin and thick albumen so it cooks more evenly.

I do miss the fresh eggs my hens gave us. I don't miss the mess after a racoon gets into the pen.

gemma_rae

My study of the egg has found calcified matrices in vertebrate biology are biphasic composites that usually contain collagenous and noncollagenous elements in intimate contact with mineral . These basic features are also present in the avian eggshell, where two overlapping yet distinct compartments are present: the eggshell membranes and the compact mineralized layers. The avian eggshell is a complex and highly structured porous calcitic bioceramic with extensive intermingling of both its organic and inorganic phases; it demonstrates a modest overlap between the noncalcified eggshell membrane and the calcified eggshell. The egg is composed of a central yolk surrounded by the albumen, eggshell membranes, calcified eggshell and cuticle. During formation of the avian egg, it sequentially acquires all of its layers as it passes through specialized regions of the oviduct the. Pores span the eggshell and permit diffusion of metabolic gases and water vapor that are necessary for proper embryonic development.

Sawry, I tend to get a bit wordy when I talk about my research.:hot:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
My study of the egg has found calcified matrices in vertebrate biology are biphasic composites that usually contain collagenous and noncollagenous elements in intimate contact with mineral . These basic features are also present in the avian eggshell, where two overlapping yet distinct compartments are present: the eggshell membranes and the compact mineralized layers. The avian eggshell is a complex and highly structured porous calcitic bioceramic with extensive intermingling of both its organic and inorganic phases; it demonstrates a modest overlap between the noncalcified eggshell membrane and the calcified eggshell. The egg is composed of a central yolk surrounded by the albumen, eggshell membranes, calcified eggshell and cuticle. During formation of the avian egg, it sequentially acquires all of its layers as it passes through specialized regions of the oviduct the. Pores span the eggshell and permit diffusion of metabolic gases and water vapor that are necessary for proper embryonic development.

Sawry, I tend to get a bit wordy when I talk about my research.:hot:
I usually just go with Scrambled or over easy.

ginwoman

I never thought about a chicken peeing

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Fun fact:

Eggshells make excellent feed for tomato plants. Save your shells and crush them up, then water them into your plants to prevent blossom end rot and promote big juicy fruit with boss ass roots.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Fun fact:

Eggshells make excellent feed for tomato plants. Save your shells and crush them up, then water them into your plants to prevent blossom end rot and promote big juicy fruit with boss ass roots.
I have 2 composters, been putting eggshells in them for years along with my kitchen scraps.