Equestrian Team prospects ?

W

WildHorses

Point well taken, but I still have to stick with the certified insureds right now. Doesn't hurt to be certified if you love the sport and intend to hang around for a while, just opens more doors. And, as we all know, the more doors opened, the more opportunities.
I've been with horses over half my life and, yet, I only know what I know and don't know if I could teach someone other than my old child to ride or care for horses. Part of what I do is common sense, part is from books, part is experience and part is just how I handle a situation. I just can't honestly say that I could convey all the parts equally to another human being and, hence, I would be a poor teacher. While some may believe that certification is a waste of time, I don't think it hurts to be instructed and provided with guidance on how to teach horsemanship and riding, especially to children. Bottom line, if they're learning to ride and work with horses safely, the job is being done well. :dance:

W

WildHorses

I understand, but I'm still in a situation where I have to go with certified insured. Almost all professions in their early stages didn't need "papers". But, as with everything, the times they are a changing and we'll probably see more and more "papers" being necessary. As I said before, I've got lots of "papers" and, trust me, none of them relate to what I do now. :howdy:

changeling

While there may be many top professionals who are not certified, there are just as many that are. In particular George Morris, who has been my idol since I was 5 happens to hold a master instructor certification with the American Riding Instructor Association. In fact I've been trained by some amazing trainers around the country, all of whom were certified, most with the British Horse Society which does have a very strict certification process. What I don't understand is why more trainers aren't certified because if you know what you are doing and how to teach, it's a fairly quick and inexpensive process. I liken it to owning and running a stable but not getting the legally required license.

spellbound

changeling said:
While there may be many top professionals who are not certified, there are just as many that are. In particular George Morris, who has been my idol since I was 5 happens to hold a master instructor certification with the American Riding Instructor Association. In fact I've been trained by some amazing trainers around the country, all of whom were certified, most with the British Horse Society which does have a very strict certification process. What I don't understand is why more trainers aren't certified because if you know what you are doing and how to teach, it's a fairly quick and inexpensive process. I liken it to owning and running a stable but not getting the legally required license.

changeling, can you name some others? Just wondering which of the other famous trainers are certified.
I was not aware that GM was. Have you ever been to one of his clinics?

changeling

Yes I can. Here are just a few. Robert Dover, Lendon Gray, Susan Harris, Michael Page, and Jack LeGoff. I've never attended a George Morris clinic, however I have met him through friends. Personally I do not think the fortitude to withstand the criticism of one of his actual clinics. As a person he's great and obviously he's an amazing certified trainer.

W

WildHorses

Now no one can deny those are some of the greats in the sport!
One other point to make and I promise to keep quiet on the subject. It's my understanding that Maryland now requires that horse camps for kids have certified instructors - let me know if I've been misinformed. :angel:

spellbound

appyday said:
:lmao: Who the hell are they...postage stamp riders :popcorn:

I have never heard of Susan Harris and Jack LeGoff. Robert Dover & Lendon Gray are dressage people I think. George Morris is the Chef d'Equipe (not sure if i spelled that correctly) of the USET showjumping team. And I think Michael Page is a Jumper too.

W

WildHorses

Obviously we do not agree on this issue. I don't think certification is a joke, insurance companies don't think it's a joke and the State of Maryland doesn't think it's a joke. But the great thing is that we can get together to discuss it on this forum. Thank goodness our forefathers didn't think democrary was a joke. :peace:

W

WildHorses

As I said, I don't think it's a joke and under my circumstances I have to take it seriously. I wasn't criticizing your right to express your opinion or to state what you may have heard/learned. That's why the forum is here. Our forefathers fought long and hard to allow us to have the right to speak our mind freely without persecution. Let's embrace that right and just agree to disagree. Have a great day. :flowers:

fredsaid2

Susan Harris wrote the Pony Club manuals and 'Grooming to Win'. Probably one we all have :smile: Jack LeGoff - eventer?

Pensacola

I have been teaching for over 15 years successfully without a certification, on reputation and ability alone. I have insurance and I am very confident in my abilities. All $600 and a week of my time does is take me away from my family and give me a piece of paper saying what my students and I already know. I can teach them how to ride. From what I have heard about the certifications is basically "you may not teach me anything, but you might not kill me either". I will get a certification when I have too. Maybe I have to be certified to teach an equestrian team. Then I will gladly get one, until then I have had no problem getting and keeping students who are progressing nicely. I have taken from many well-known trainers, and honestly I have no clue if they had certifications. As long as they did their job correctly it showed up in the show ring -not on a piece of paper. I just caution those who think that if you are certified you are a good teacher, and that is definitely not the case.
Spell bound- I know you gave me the basic information. I didn't know how to spell that high school. (Because we all know now what a terrible speller I can be.) You didn't know the instructor. I would love to meet them. That is what I am asking, and I don't know where the school is located besides in Leonardtown. Thanks for giving me that information you have been a great help to me, and you are a beautiful rider. Have you always been taught by certified instructors?

Pensacola

I guess I didn't read the last page of the forum before I replied. You guys have made me laugh so hard this morning. Thanks for sharing your opinions. It doesn't bother me a bit. Freedom of speech! Did you know that private school teachers don't have to be certified to teach? I know -off the subject, but I bet some of you that have children in private school didn't know that but still think your teachers are good. Just a thought on certifications.

W

WildHorses

I think we've taken this certification issue just about as far as it can go. Bottom line, some like it and some don't. That's what makes this world we live in so wonderful and exciting, our differences.
I have to commend fredsaid, appyday and happyappy. I have gleaned a great deal of information from their various comments. It is indeed a pleasure to participate in some of your threads. Thank you very much and keep up the good work.

W

WildHorses

Who Took My Green!

Goodness, I thought I was being good on this forum what's with taking all my green away? Is that what happened to poor little changeling up there, just for bringing up someone's spelling?
I can understand giving someone red if they've said something really offensive, but just for boring you, dang! That's just wrong and I was really beginning to enjoy myself here. :dead:

fredsaid2

You just have to ignore those red karma people. Really doesn't mean anything anyway. Please post again, the debates were interesting!

W

WildHorses

Thank you, I will. Even at the risk of turning red. If I join in enough over the holidays maybe I'll start looking like a set of blinking Christmas lights. :lmao:

Pensacola

I appreciate all of your educated responses too. I have learned that for a fact you do not have to have a certification to have insurance. I did some research just make sure. I will say nothing else about certifications unless directly asked or insulted. I enjoy the discussions with you all.

W

WildHorses

Well, I'm back. I appreciate your comments, but I know for a fact that certification is necessary for me in order to be approved for my coverage. As with everything, there is no simple answer. One must look at all the facts and circumstances before coming to any conclusion.
My bottom line is I have to have insurance and to get insurance I have to have a broker and if my broker tells me I need something then I need something. Also, I believe in certification.
I thought we had laid this to rest and had just agreed to disagree. Hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend.
:patriot:

Pensacola

Laid to rest. We can disagree. Do you ride hunt seat/english or by postage stamp as someone referred to it? Just curious.