Equine Dentist...

covekat

Seems I am always looking for something!

I have a horse with an issue, and my vet is on vacation... anyone know of a reputable Equine Dentist in the area?

Thanks in advance!

smoothmarine187

I have a horse with an issue, and my vet is on vacation... anyone know of a reputable Equine Dentist in the area?

Thanks in advance!

Does "Lou" belong to you? Maybe if he would quit biting people, he wouldn't need a dentist :mad:

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)

Thanks in advance!

I've heard good things about Dr. Behre 518-281-2157.

covekat

Thanks guys!!! Molesworth is on vacation till the 19th... and I'll pass on Miller... but I will call the other vet... again, thanks!

And NO I dont own anyone named Lou...

quartermom

Low & Slow
Do you know how much per horse? We have a couple that need to be done too. Maybe some folks can get together and get a group rate?

He lives in Chester, MD. When he comes out we usually have several farms for him to go to. I would give him a call and see what he charges for what you need to have done. He is GREAT and nice on the eyes also...

covekat

Where is Chester MD? I just called him and he said he was at work, and would call me this evening...hmmm...

2baymares

Thanks in advance!

:howdy: I would check with Dr. Stot of Anne Arundel Equine Vet. He does everything and he is GREAT!!!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
:howdy: I would check with Dr. Stot of Anne Arundel Equine Vet. He does everything and he is GREAT!!!

I love Dr Stott but he does old fashon hand tools...he has done a friends and they needed to be redone with the drimmel..go with power tools...Molesworth did great on mine..and I had one Dr Miller did and was fine too..

G

GVF

Be careful w/ Dr Behre. A few years ago I had dealings with him when he boarded a horse w/ me. He worked on some of my horses and I found out his MD Vet license had expired a while back from when he used to work for another vet. He has never renewed it ( I just called MD dept of ag to confirm this- it exp in 2002). He had/has a NY license (Which was how he was getting his supplies- but my vet told me it is not legal for him to use them in the state of MD, or in any other state than ones he is licensed in). I also found out, anyone can do dental work on a horse- there is no requirements, but anything with requiring sedation requires a state vet license (and most horses DO need to be sedated). My vet used to reccomend him until she found out about this.

Not a good situation. If anything were to happen, it would be a mess for everyone involved. Knowing he is practicing illegally just doesn't sit right with me. He boarded with me, and when I found this out, I asked him to leave. So- he doesn't like me very much, but I just don't agree with what he is doing. I did not want to even be assiciated with him once I found out. I was mislead to believe he was licensed to do what he did. It makes me SICK thinking what could have happened if something happened after he sedated my horses to work on them (esp my stallion- I would have been up SH!T"$ creek with my insurance company if something happened.)

I do not want to harn the guys business, but I wouldn't feel right not at least putting the facts out there for one to decide before having them work on one of their horses. :(

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Actually, if just using hand tools most horse do not need to be sedated. However, when using power tools sedation isn't really an option, it's a given. Many vets do not do dentistry and they work with an equine dentist. The vet sedates and the dentist does the floating.

I do not know and have never even heard of Dr. Behre, but I'm not sure this was handled in the most professional way. Instead of bringing a lot of personal stuff to the table, maybe just the mention of his license would have been sufficent? To me this smacks more of a personal beef than a liability concern. The internet is a rather ambiguous medium and sometimes meanings and feelings can be skewed, but that's how I viewed your post.

All that being said, OP, I've always had Dr. Molesworth do my guys' teeth. (I know she's on vacation.) So, I can't suggest anyone else.

eventrder

Must be that time of the year, I just had mine out she is wonderful she comes from Fredericksburg and is super nice, she does not use any drugs, and she only charges 50 a horse. If you still have not found someone pm me and I will give you her contact info.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I do not know and have never even heard of Dr. Behre, but I'm not sure this was handled in the most professional way. Instead of bringing a lot of personal stuff to the table, maybe just the mention of his license would have been sufficent? To me this smacks more of a personal beef than a liability concern. The internet is a rather ambiguous medium and sometimes meanings and feelings can be skewed, but that's how I viewed your post.

I do appreciate having that sort of information provided, it's important. There is a bit of personal experience as well, but its just that, her personal experience, and not gossip or hearsay. I would prolly have related the information the same way if i had personal experience and felt it would be good to share.

Just like having coffee and discussing something that happened with someone...um....say waving steak knife around during dinner :lol:

Last edited:
G

GVF

I never said I had any other issues with him other than this issue, which is just a fact, not hearsay or libel, etc. I have no reason to want to badmouth him. Once I found out the truth about his license status after he told me he was a vet and had worked on mine as well as other boarder horses, I just couldn't accept someone misrepresenting themselves who could be a liability on my farm.

He is a decent guy otherwise and yes, there were other issue issues I had with him, but they are between him & I and I had my say when I asked him to leave. I feel no need to bring those up, even though they could be alot more damaging than this issue- I do NOT feel the need to go there and no matter how much I may or may not aprove of the man, I will respect him to keep what issues I had with him to myself. I Those issues do not affect others- this issue might. I am not bad mouthing, just making everyone aware of something I didn't even know until after he worked on my own horses. I wish I would have known before hand. With the many different options available in this area, I would just feel better having someone who is licensed in case sedation is needed. True, some horses do not need to be sedated, but what happens if your midway through and the horse decides he has had enough- then what??

I meant no harm bringing this to everyones attention. Please do not try to point a finger like I did something wrong. If anything, I did what I knew was the RIGHT thing to do. People can do what they want with the factual information from there.

Good luck finding the right dentist for your horse :)