Equine Rescues in So. MD?

WesternRider

It ultimately has to do with the horse care (quality).

It has nothing to do with quality of care, but with STANDARD of care. Licensing doesnt mean the "best" stables are licensed. I've seen some scary "licensed" stables, and some incredible "unlicensed" ones. The state set what most of us would consider a low STANDARD of care... and they hardly ever check up on the farms that are licensed (once a year, maybe). Just think what could happen in a years time. When they do inspect, the inspection is "limited" at best.

The state doesn't often address the "quality" of care boarded or rescued equines receive through the licensing program. If there is a complaint about the care a horse is/isn't receiving, that is normally addressed by animal control, not the horse industry board. Although the regulations of the stable licensing program states that horses must have food and water, must have routine vet care, etc I have never, ever seen them (the horse industry board licensing program) enforce this. I've never once heard of the state inspecting a farm, even if there is a complaint, and requiring to see the vet records of every horse in their care. They have the regulations in place, but don't enforce them.

Some licensed stables are self care, which means the horse owner, not the barn manager, is the one providing a certain level of quality of care. Having your horse at a licensed farm in no way means your horse will receive good care. It does mean that whoever manages the stable is more responsible to make sure certain standards are met, but they often aren't, and the state doesn't enforce them like they should.

It sounds good to say "my stable is licensed" but in reality, it doesn't mean much. Other than the fact that the owner has paid their $75 dues and is therefore in accordance with the laws of the state (and I've never heard of a farm owner being fined, or imprisoned, for not having a license).