Erasing history...

Midnightrider

Exactly, Mo-Ron. They limited the power of the Federal government. Got any more gems like that one? I bet you do.

they specifically wrote that in MO RON. they didn't leave it to interpretation. So why didn't they put in secession if it was so important to them?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
they specifically wrote that in MO RON. they didn't leave it to interpretation. So why didn't they put in secession if it was so important to them?

Secession is s state's right, Mo. States expressly have/retain ALL rights that are not otherwise specifically granted to the Federal government. It's a really, really long list, Mo. See how that works? There were a very few overt restrictions placed on the Federal governmnt, via the amendments, just to make damned sure there was no Federal overreach.

Constitution expressly defines Federal power and Constitution expressly limits it too. See how that works?

Last edited:

Midnightrider

Secession is s state's right, Mo. States expressly have/retain ALL rights that are not otherwise specifically granted to the Federal government. It's a really, really long list, Mo. See how that works?

bwhahahahahaha

so guns were important enough for the founders to make an amendment for, but secession wasn't.........
you are going to need to do better than that

This_person

So, freedom going in, never mind how young dumb and full of...beans but, the moment you enter into it, you now owe society and must seek it's approval to exit.

Well, we decided 18 is no longer young and dumb, but of sufficient age to be responsible for one's actions. But, yes, freedom into entering into contracts like that.

Now, we discussed ad nauseam the act of who should register for marriage, but we never discussed recently why the state got involved in the first place. The small petty perks were put in because of the stability the institution of marriage used to allow for in a society. Like charitable organizations or property mortgage interest tax exemptions, the lower tax rates for some married people was intended to positively influence people to get married, providing more of that stability.

So, yes, I would say whether it is a contract you have with a roofing company to do work for money, or with your neighbors in an HOA, or whatever, if you want to believe the contract means something and you can count on contracts once they're written, then you have to make it difficult to get out of them.

This_person

Secession is s state's right, Mo. States expressly have/retain ALL rights that are not otherwise specifically granted to the Federal government. It's a really, really long list, Mo. See how that works? There were a very few overt restrictions placed on the Federal governmnt, via the amendments, just to make damned sure there was no Federal overreach.

Constitution expressly defines Federal power and Constitution expressly limits it too. See how that works?

So, do you think the states have the right to limit your keeping and bearing arms so long as the federal government does not? Just curious, since you specifically said the founders "limited the power of the Federal government."

I don't think the states have the right to secede without the express permission of the other states. One cannot leave a contract without permission of the other parties to the contract, why would this one be different? If they do leave without permission (don't live up to the agreement), then someone must mediate/adjudicate the dissolution. It's not just a "right" to leave whenever. Nothing anywhere in legal documents implies that. Not even the 10th, because the tenth is to allow doing things while covered under the Constitution - you leave, you're not covered, so that doesn't make sense to be a "right" to leave at all.

Wishbone

So, do you think the states have the right to limit your keeping and bearing arms so long as the federal government does not? Just curious, since you specifically said the founders "limited the power of the Federal government."

I don't think the states have the right to secede without the express permission of the other states. One cannot leave a contract without permission of the other parties to the contract, why would this one be different? If they do leave without permission (don't live up to the agreement), then someone must mediate/adjudicate the dissolution. It's not just a "right" to leave whenever. Nothing anywhere in legal documents implies that. Not even the 10th, because the tenth is to allow doing things while covered under the Constitution - you leave, you're not covered, so that doesn't make sense to be a "right" to leave at all.

And what if you believe the other parties are not living up to it and not being honest enough to correct? Do you just put up with them or say, "#### you.... Bye!"

This_person

And what if you believe the other parties are not living up to it and not being honest enough to correct? Do you just put up with them or say, "#### you.... Bye!"

You worded that correctly ("if you believe").

I think I answered that part, though: If they ... don't live up to the agreement, then someone must mediate/adjudicate the dissolution.

PsyOps

Pixelated
it is about States and membership in the union.

Id say this part here might apply:

.....nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

how do you secede without forming a new state? the entire premise of secession is that you want to become a sovereign state.........

Even if you choose not to read it that way, it shows that the fed has some say in this area.

Wow, you're going way out there. If Florida secedes, it breaks all ties with the US federal government, and they essentially form their own country per se. The land still exists as it stood before, only now they are not longer part of the United State. That's how you seceded without forming a new state. If you want to call it a 'state', that's fine, but it is no longer part of the U.S. nor any of its jurisdictions.

What Art IV is saying is you cannot take parts of neighboring states to create a new state. You can't take part of Maryland and Virginia and form the state of Midnightrider; without consent of those two states and the federal congress. Now D.C. is its own territory and could become a state.

Secession is a complete break any authority within the territories of the United States. Certainly this country could, as Lincoln did, violate states rights and the constitution, and prevent a state from seceding. But that's a violation of the constitution.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
bwhahahahahaha

so guns were important enough for the founders to make an amendment for, but secession wasn't.........
you are going to need to do better than that

Well, if you have speech and guns, that puts me in a bit of a jam if I wanna tell you to sit down, shut up and not let you leave, don't it?

littlelady

God bless the USA
You are retarded, and like the rest of the idiots here, you need to read up on why those particular monuments were erected.

That is hilarious that you call other members retarded. There are, actually, retarded (as in disability) people in the world, so it is really not that hilarious. First, you need to look in the mirror, and, second, you need to develop better argument skills. You are welcome. :smile:

This_person

So, do you think the states have the right to limit your keeping and bearing arms so long as the federal government does not? Just curious, since you specifically said the founders "limited the power of the Federal government." [emphasis yours]

Restitution

WOW!!! This tread went majorly off the rails.....

From erasing history with monument removal to secession from the union. Well, I guess when you cannot make a logical point about the topic at-hand, change the topic right?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Just curious, since you specifically said the founders "limited the power of the Federal government."

I didn't say that. The founders did. ;-)

I see that rat hole you are busy digging over in yonder weeds. Not today, sport,,,not today.

This_person

I didn't say that. The founders did. ;-)

I see that rat hole you are busy digging over in yonder weeds. Not today, sport,,,not today.

I'ts not a rat hole, it's a point towards the flaw in your logic. If the Constitution ONLY limits the federal government, and the tenth amendment gives the states the rights that are not specifically limited to the federal government per the tenth, then the states can restrict keeping and bearing all they want - they can stop your free speech, they can enslave people for dying their hair blue (which would be fine with me as a means to stop that crap), etc., etc.

You're trying to make a point that the states have rights because it is only the federal government limited by the constitution, and I'm pointing out that's not exactly accurate. There's no stated path for secession, and the previous document that formed the union (previous to the document that formed a more perfect union) said, "perpetual" with respect to being a state in the country.

:shrug:

While neither of us nor anyone in this conversation is the authoritative expert, it seems reasonable to me to think it was meant as a "forever" kind of deal, or that the other states would have a say in a state leaving (in the same manner as an amendment being ratified).

This_person