Esperanza teacher arrested...

awpitt

Main Streeter
Has anyone read the County Times today (June 13) about that disgusting pig of a teacher!!! (allegedly) <- yea right! I know they all have their day in court but how gross. I am glad the wonderful Board of Ed can't hide this one! Just like they did at Great Mills assistant principle. Oh you didn't hear about that one did you, because he has been terminated last week for inappropriate contact with minors! What the heck is going on???!!!

I know both individuals. The teacher at Esperanza was my son's 7th grade social studies teacher last year. And the AP at GMHS just disappeared. Nothing was said about it and there's been nothing in any of the news outlets. Had to find out from the kids.

awpitt

Main Streeter
It is good to know he is no longer on leave.

I have had the conversation with my child - have you?

I've been debating whether to tell my son about this or not. Despite what happened, Leon was a good teacher. My son liked him and did good in his class. According to the timeline, his criminal behavior was not occurring during the time my son was in his class. I don't know. I keep going back and forth about this.

Barnacle

I've been debating whether to tell my son about this or not. Despite what happened, Leon was a good teacher. My son liked him and did good in his class. According to the timeline, his criminal behavior was not occurring during the time my son was in his class. I don't know. I keep going back and forth about this.

He'll hear about it... and probably a very embellished version. I suggest you tell him. IMHO.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I'm not sure that the Teachers' Union's position matters much in this case since it is a criminal matter.

So they are not going to provide legal support (which is the only principle reason to belong these days)?

awpitt

Main Streeter
So they are not going to provide legal support (which is the only principle reason to belong these days)?

The union provides legal support in matters between the employee and the school board. The union is not responsible for providing legal support in criminal matters.

inkah

My kid thought he was a good teacher too. I talked about it for these reasons:
1. This is child abuse and I want the message to be clear - we never keep quiet about child abuse. Never.
2. You never know what innapropriate behavior was happening when. History tells me that for whatever reasons children hide terrible secrets - sometimes not realizing how important it is. I want my kids to know this is always an open topic.
3. While we hope and we make guesses based on what we believe to be reliable evidence, it isn't likely to be an isolated incident - abusers have trails and are highly accomplished deceivers.
4. I cant repeat this enough - NO SECRETS when it comes to sexual misconduct and children.
5. Someone else said it - you better believe the kids will be talking this summer and at school this fall. You NEED to have the primary influence. I don't want my child to ever think this is no big deal - and given the history @EMS, these kids already think these things are acceptable.

Barnacle

My kid thought he was a good teacher too. I talked about it for these reasons:
1. This is child abuse and I want the message to be clear - we never keep quiet about child abuse. Never.
2. You never know what innapropriate behavior was happening when. History tells me that for whatever reasons children hide terrible secrets - sometimes not realizing how important it is. I want my kids to know this is always an open topic.
3. While we hope and we make guesses based on what we believe to be reliable evidence, it isn't likely to be an isolated incident - abusers have trails and are highly accomplished deceivers.
4. I cant repeat this enough - NO SECRETS when it comes to sexual misconduct and children.
5. Someone else said it - you better believe the kids will be talking this summer and at school this fall. You NEED to have the primary influence. I don't want my child to ever think this is no big deal - and given the history @EMS, these kids already think these things are acceptable.

Excellent... but what "history at EMS?"

inkah

Excellent

This isn't about a smear campaign or promoting the ruin of a person. This man is probably ruined and that should always be sad - I don't want my kid to participate in conversations simply to tear apart.

This is about ensuring the safety and well-being of our children. This is about making sure our children have a voice - before they need it.

If this is an isolated incident, then it is my hope the openness serves as ground work should my kid ever need to tell me something awful.