St. Mary's Co. Ethanol-free Fuel?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Drury's Marina in Ridge had it last I checked on St. Jerome's creek. Only problem is you gotta schlep jerry cans down the dock, but they have a dock cart. I'd call first. I have not been there in a couple seasons.
edit - Clark's Landing in Hollywood according to the site below still has it, but they might be gouging a bit. Might be a little high on price according to the site below. gotta lug cans but their dock is a lot shorter than Drury's...
Ridgell's just north of Oakville School, but not always cheap. If he bought it at $3/gal expect to pay that until he runs out and refills the tank.
The Sunoco in Callaway may not have it yet, Corona flu may have slowed down plans.
Places like Ace and Lowe's and other small motor stores, but as noted, at dollars/quart.
If you need enough, a ride to VA is your best bet. I paid $2/gal at Murphy's, Dahlgren in March.. It may have been less then that for a while when no one was driving/DNR lockdown.
But don't expect most marinas to carry it. Lots of them carry 89-93 octane gas but it is still E-10.
My load is usually about 50 gallons, so if I got nothing else going on, a 2-ish hour round trip to Dahlgren saves me $$.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MD (link for MD stations) is a pretty good source, and gets updated.
To add a couple bits...Bobs Sunoco still has not installed their new fuel tank yet. Darn it. And as far as marinas, I’m not aware of any that are not selling ethanol free fuel. Nobody that fuels their big boats with gasoline buy anything else.

1stGenSMIB

Wow! You invested a lot of time in a thoughtful and helpful post. Thank you very much!
I have been burning E-zero a long time..some ways to get it are easier than others, so it depends on where I am in the "season", or if a hurricane is coming up the coast. I stopped burning E-10 in my old sailboat's Atomic 4 (as well as the chainsaw and generator) ten years ago. :)

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I stopped burning E-10 in my old sailboat's Atomic 4 (as well as the chainsaw and generator) ten years ago. :)

I spend a ridiculous amount of time keeping my small fleet of small boats running, thanks to all the damage caused by ethanol. Yamaha recently announced that they will no longer honor their engine warranties if the owner uses E-15...and they very strongly encourage owners to use only ethanol-free gas if they possibly can. I wish Bob would get his tank in...I'll be a regular customer!

1stGenSMIB

I spend a ridiculous amount of time keeping my small fleet of small boats running, thanks to all the damage caused by ethanol. Yamaha recently announced that they will no longer honor their engine warranties if the owner uses E-15...and they very strongly encourage owners to use only ethanol-free gas if they possibly can. I wish Bob would get his tank in...I'll be a regular customer!
I'd probably come visit Bob too, although I read he was doing 93 octane, which is more than I need in my 6.3:1 compression Atomic4. I forgot one I don't use very often and that is the pressure washer..It very clearly states on the tank, no E-15. Actually, the sailboat is the least worrisome now. I burn enough thru it that if I were somewhere else and needed fuel, I'd put some E-10 in it, confident I could burn it all out and at least winterize with E-zero. My experience has been that anytime you store ethanol laced gas in a small carb for any period of time, you will have trouble down the road (usually in the form of yellow crystalized goo!!). Before the TS came by last month, I pulled out my generator that had not run in over two years. I had stored with E-zero (run dry of course), put in some fresh gas and it started like I had run it last week. Run ruin that track record by lacing it with ethanol?
I have a buddy with a 'boat problem', and the first thing I ask when we are fooling around with one of his outboards, is, does this have the E-10 from the Citgo up the street? I even finally started supplying him E-zero for his 2-stroke Yamaha outboard, because it never seemed to run when I was in charge of it and he supplied the fuel (he sold that boat). :p

Last edited:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I did the E0 route for a while, but it was a pain finding it at a decent price when I needed it. I switched back to E10 and started using Stabil Marine many years ago. Always had issues with small motors like chainsaws. Once I started using Stabil, all the starting and fouling issues went away. I had 2 year old fuel in my generator, and it always starts first pull. I only just drained it, and am using it up in the tractor.

1stGenSMIB

One of my company "sideline" products is custom aluminum boat gas tanks. It's been a steady business, thanks to ethanol.
Funny you say that...when I first got my boat over ten years ago, there were a lot of unknowns so I paid to haul and store on shore over winter to go over everything. About two weeks before launch, the alum gas tank (32 years old) sprung a leak (of course now the added problem of flowing gasoline floating around in the bilge.) I can only assume the moisture the ethanol absorbed had been pooling in the bottom corner of the tank for years before I owned the boat, and corroded thru the aluminum. I replaced it with a Moeller plastic tank, but would have come to see you had I known about your side hustle.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Funny you say that...when I first got my boat over ten years ago, there were a lot of unknowns so I paid to haul and store on shore over winter to go over everything. About two weeks before launch, the alum gas tank (32 years old) sprung a leak. I can only assume the moisture the ethanol absorbed had been pooling in the bottom corner of the tank for years before I owned the boat, and corroded thru the aluminum. I replaced it with a Moeller plastic tank, but would have come to see you had I known about your side hustle.

If a production tank is available that fits, that's always the cheaper option. Everything I build is custom...replacing tanks that fit in spaces under the deck, often with tank bottoms that conform to the "V" of the hull down the center..

1stGenSMIB

Ah ok, there's a CVS and Tractor Supply right there? That place is always busy.
Horne's is definitely at the corner of Rt 301 & Rt 17.
Yep...Sheetz #307 at Rt 301 & Rt 3 that @tuffenuff2 & @itsbob refer to is on the pure-gas.org list. That is usually our last stop north (for car gas) since it is on the right side of the road..and yes, always busy. That extra 3 miles of fuel isn't worth it to cross traffic twice in Dahlgren when heading north towards MD.
Good to know, thanks! Several options along 301 if one of them is out.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Didn't SUNOCO Have a ethanol free gas - not check, high octane.

Just put this search into Google "ethanol free gas near me"

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Ah ok, there's a CVS and Tractor Supply right there? That place is always busy.

YES the one with TSC behind it.. Theybjust tore it down and rebuilt, when they reopned they had ethanol free at nearly every pump.. as somebody else said its before 17 and Horne's (I keep thinking its after)..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
trailer has a 35 gallon tank and was going to fill up on the way back from Williamsburg, but it was too busy, and after NN Burger I needed to get home for a nap.. I can tell the generator isn't running as good as it was, and I really wanto dilute what is left as much as possible, then ethanol free after I burn that up.
We use the RV tank to refill ATV, pressure washer and other stuff, but it still lasts a lot longer than I thought it would.