Ever wonder why cops get tense during traffic stops?

Chris0nllyn

I find cop haters juvenile. These little "you can't tell ME what to do!" punks. They work at jobs no more stressful than getting the wrong condiments on a burger, and want to piss and cry about the men and women who protect us.

I can't even read their posts anymore.

Anyone who hates a person because of their job is juvenile.

But don't confuse someone who complains about institutional problems with policing in this country with a "cop hater". That's like saying anyone who complains about politicians, warranted or not, is a "politician hater" and until you know what it's like to be a politician you have no right to complain or criticize.

And, FYI, police do not protect us. They have no legal obligation to do so. Police enforce laws (including what they think are laws).

BernieP

Resident PIA
Anyone who hates a person because of their job is juvenile.

But don't confuse someone who complains about institutional problems with policing in this country with a "cop hater". That's like saying anyone who complains about politicians, warranted or not, is a "politician hater" and until you know what it's like to be a politician you have no right to complain or criticize.

And, FYI, police do not protect us. They have no legal obligation to do so. Police enforce laws (including what they think are laws).
Correct, except we all know what politicians do, the use taxpayers money to keep themselves employed.
A plant has more common sense, and a greater sense of morality and ethics.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Really there should be some kind of civilian review board for cops. (What requirements will we have for those civilians? Most who have no idea what its like to do that job)

We've all met one or two that you could tell they were not ever going to be a good fit and were either going to get hurt or hurt someone else.
(Exactly how can they tell that someone is not going to be a good fit in a job that they've never done?)

There doesn't have to be any shame attached to this, but temperament really does mean something when you interface with a wide variety of people. (How would you like it if every decision you make at work is scrutinized by someone who has no idea what your job is like?)
I'll take these as 1,2 &3

1. Really doesn't have to be any requirements, the first 6 people picked off the street are probably as good of a requirement as any

2. You've got the overbearing, abrasive type that make every situation confrontational. The timid retiring type who should be behind a desk, the people who jump at their own shadow, the bullies...In short people who shouldn't be the "on the street interface with the public".

3. It's what we do. How many people here have been president yet we feel competent to critique him, congressman? Are we competent to critique AOC? Professors, ambassadors, teachers, Admirals, Generals...everyone one of them is scrutinized here by us.

Chris0nllyn

Correct, except we all know what politicians do, the use taxpayers money to keep themselves employed.
A plant has more common sense, and a greater sense of morality and ethics.

Absolutely. Politicians also promise to be tough on crime and allow things like asset forefiture to pad budgets of police departments.

In a sense, police use taxpayer money to keep themselves employed also. But I understand your point. My comparison wasn't intended to be 1:1, just comparing the argument that essentially no one is allowed to criticize police because of their job, or because you aren't in their position, or whatever other arguments come up.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
1. Really doesn't have to be any requirements, the first 6 people picked off the street are probably as good of a requirement as any

So you would say that a panel of Trans, JPC, Stupidus, Lance (remember him?), ChrisO, and LightRoasted would be a good civilian review board for law enforcement?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
So you would say that a panel of Trans, JPC, Stupidus, Lance (remember him?), ChrisO, and LightRoasted would be a good civilian review board for law enforcement?
There are still more normal people than stupid ones. Going with the odds out of six people you get at most two abnormal ones, as long as you have a single vote for his continuation he stays.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Can we agree that there are far more crappy civilians than crappy cops by any measure? Even if you go with percentage of demographic, I'm pretty sure the civilians outnumber the cops in terms of criminal/abusive behavior. Your chances of being victimized by a non-cop are significantly greater than by a cop.
Why no. No we can not. Regular people are not granted "super powers". And as well, are not part of, the chosen few. While there may be civilian people of questionable character, anyone in "law enforcement" should, and must always be, beyond reproach. The evil deeds done by those wearing the shinny badge and taxpayer provided costume, far exceed those of the bad civilians by a factor of ten, at a minimum.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

shiny-badge-costume-wearing chosen few are in, "constant fear for their lives - 1st of all, they don't wear costumes. They wear uniforms. This is a piss poor attempt at an insult to all LEO's. I'd tell you to show some respect for the men and women who do this job but i realize what you are and it would fall on deaf ears and an empty head. 2nd, your comment hear clearly shows you have no understanding of what its like to do this job. Your Cop Hating attitude is in full view for everyone to see. I realize you all exist, I just don't understand your way of thinking (If that's what it is)
It is a fuking costume. Theater. There was a time when we had "peace officers". Wearing a proper and dignified uniform, such as today's Maryland State Troopers continue to wear. Not gang banging thugs with badges, hiding behind the ever expanding immunity statutes. So hey, please, go purchase a large bottle of astroglide, and go fuk yourself.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I may ...

It is a fuking costume. Theater. There was a time when we had "peace officers". Wearing a proper and dignified uniform, such as today's Maryland State Troopers continue to wear. Not gang banging thugs with badges, hiding behind the ever expanding immunity statutes. So hey, please, go purchase a large bottle of astroglide, and go fuk yourself.

Let me guess: you got arrested recently?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Let me guess: you got arrested recently?
No vrai. I have never been arrested in my life. I am just one of those that hate to see the progression of once what were "peace officers" to a paramilitary police state that we've become. Ignoring the Constitution, and the rights of the individual. While in the past there have always been bad guys to be dealt with, at least regular civilians were treated with respect and police weren't feared or loathed by the populace. But today, they have no redeeming value.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I may ...

No vrai. I have never been arrested in my life. I am just one of those that hate to see the progression of once what were "peace officers" to a paramilitary police state that we've become. Ignoring the Constitution, and the rights of the individual. While in the past there have always been bad guys to be dealt with, at least regular civilians were treated with respect and police weren't feared or loathed by the populace. But today, they have no redeeming value.

I do not feel that we live in a "paramilitary police state" and I'm certainly not going to change my mind based on a handful of news stories. I don't feel that the "populace" by and large fears and loathes police officers - that's the media brainwashing talking.

I think people who "fear and loathe" cops make that crap up in their head, or else they live in some dystopian metropolis where evil is the norm.

A story:

When Monello and I were in Paterson, NJ (which is just.....yikes...) we went to Great Falls National Park, which is right there in the city. We spoke to a lovely young park ranger, and afterward marveled at the choices people make in life. You can be a park ranger at any number of fantastic American locations...or you can be a park ranger in freaking Paterson, NJ. I actually asked her, "Why Paterson???" (subtext: "What bad thing did you do that this is your punishment?") and she kind of hemmed and hawed, didn't really give me an answer. My impression was that she grew up in that shithole and doesn't know any better.

The point is this:

You want to be a police officer and make that your career. You have a myriad of choices all across these great United States. You can be a small town cop; you can be a cop in a smaller city; you can even be a cop in one of our amazing national parks. OR! You can be a cop in an urban ghetto shithole teeming with scuzzy people and violent criminals where every day your life expectancy is a gift from the gods.

Let's get real: which one are you going to choose?

Because there are people who choose that ghetto shithole, and one has to then wonder why. Do they enjoy the rush of danger? Do they like having the opportunity to bust heads on a daily basis? Are they on the take and it's easier in an anonymous metropolis? What is the upside of being a law enforcement officer in that terrible place?

Having been around this country's block a time or two, I'm not going to paint all cops with one brush. The cops in Bastrop, TX aren't even the same species as the ones in DC and Baltimore. The cops in Middletown, MD - we all knew them by name and they knew us by name. They weren't these jackbooted thugs dressed out in riot gear - they were the parents of the kids our kids went to school with.

In short, they are the cops you're thinking of when you say "peace officers". They exist. In a large number of communities. But not in Houston, and not in Baltimore, and not in any other urban shithole. And it's unfair and ignorant to paint them all with the same brush because while they hold the same job title, the job itself is different in infinite ways.

Hijinx

I remember when Police officers had to meet minimum height requirements.
It made sense as we didn't want to send a 5'5" man up against a 6'4" person to tell them how to behave.
Now we send women in to do it.
I agree they should wear uniforms and look like officers.
When a SWAT team goes in they should be certain, not listening to a pissed off neighbor, and the red laws are crazy.

General Lee

If I may ...

Stupid sovereign citizen you are

WingsOfGold

There are still more normal people than stupid ones. Going with the odds out of six people you get at most two abnormal ones, as long as you have a single vote for his continuation he stays.
I venture to say it's almost impossible to find 6 normal people in PG county or Balt City.

black dog

Free America
Having been around this country's block a time or two, I'm not going to paint all cops with one brush. The cops in Bastrop, TX aren't even the same species as the ones in DC and Baltimore. The cops in Middletown, MD - we all knew them by name and they knew us by name. They weren't these jackbooted thugs dressed out in riot gear - they were the parents of the kids our kids went to school with.

I dont believe that Middletown has ever had a police dept, more like you saw Frederick Co Sheriffs Dept Deputies.....
Go and take a quick peek at Frederick Co Sheriffs Dept web page..... Scroll through the pictures, No one dressed out in riot gear, LOLOLOL
Whats that armored vehicle in the second pic for? Or the reason for the pic of three officers shooting machine guns?
Why is this taxpayer paid equipment being dispersed amounist LE Depts??????