Everything is far away!!!

RPMDAD

Only a few minutes from Owings, is

LOWE's (home improvement superstore) in Upper Marlboro near the Routes 301 & 4 interchange

the WAL MART in Dunkirk on Route 4

There are also some attractive new shopping centers in BOWIE.

slowlane, i know where the Home Depot is in Upper Marlboro on 301 by 4 but not sure where the Lowes is. Thought the closest Lowes was in Bowie, but i could be wrong.

Natron0915

slowlane, i know where the Home Depot is in Upper Marlboro on 301 by 4 but not sure where the Lowes is. Thought the closest Lowes was in Bowie, but i could be wrong.

Pretty sure only Lowe's in the area are Lex Park, and Bowie. I know there's an HD in Waldorf, Upper Marlboro, and Annapolis.

Also, I think the Walmart referred to is PF not Dunkirk.

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
Pretty sure only Lowe's in the area are Lex Park, and Bowie. I know there's an HD in Waldorf, Upper Marlboro, and Annapolis.

I thought there was a walmart in Dunkirk across from the park. Maybe it closed down...I havnt been that way in a few years.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

There is a Walmart in Dunkirk, PF, California, La Plata, & Waldorf. Probably 1 in Bowie right up the road from Owings. Target may be in Bowie, but Annapolis for sure.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
So I just moved to Owings, MD (2 days ago). I love the area and the peacefulness. However, everything is far away. I’m from Baltimore county and am used to being within a mile or so of Home Depot, (2) Malls, Several different grocery stores etc… So I notice we have an ACE hardware real close to me that I can go and check out. My neighbors visited us and said the closest stores are Annapolis!!!!!! Where are the mom and pop shops? Also besides taking your trash to the convenience center what companies do curbside pickup, what’s the cheapest?

For trash pickup, we use Ace Hauling out of Owings. They charge $25/month and bill quarterly. They're the least expensive we've found and reliable.

As for the convenience of being close to malls, Target, Lowes/HD, etc....you gave that up when you moved to the sticks of MD. :lol: I was born/raised in NY, then lived in DC for 2 years. If I can get used to it here, anyone can. Like you, I love the peacefulness of this area and have since the day we moved here 4 years ago. I don't mind taking a 30 minute ride to get to a mall, I'm done with city living and happy to give up conveniences for lower crime and less headache. I just make my lists for when I go out of Calvert to shop - what stores I need to hit, what I need to buy. Takes a little more planning but it's worth it. Annapolis probably is the closest to you but there's also a lot down in St Marys for shopping. Welcome! :howdy:

twinoaks207

Having Fun!

301 & 4 is a Home Depot, the Lowes is a bit further up 301 towards Bowie (on the south-bound side of 301 so you'll need to do a cross-over). It is before you get to Rip's and the Baysox stadium.

There is a Walmart in Dunkirk, PF, California, La Plata, & Waldorf. Probably 1 in Bowie right up the road from Owings. Target may be in Bowie, but Annapolis for sure.

Shopping destinations from Owings:

Target: Annapolis, Bowie (301 & 50 intersection), also Largo (route 202 at intersection with PG Community College -- also a Lowe's there, too).
Mall: Annapolis is closest (up route 2 & turn left on West Street)
Walmart: Dunkirk (quick), Prince Frederick (more variety and a garden center)
K-Mart: Prince Frederick
Department Store: Peebles in Prince Frederick or Annapolis Mall (Penney's, Macy's, Sears, Nordstrom's, Lord & Taylor)
Hardware store: Ace in Owings, or above mentioned Home Depot & Lowes. Also a hardware store in Deale (might be a True Value)
Starbucks: Dunkirk
Grocery stores: Giant & Safeway in Dunkirk, Roland's in Chesapeake Beach (Roland's has wine, beer & spirits also)
Antigues & cutesy little shops, bakery -- North Beach
Drug Stores: Chesapeake Care Drug in Chesapeake Beach (small branch in Owings), CVS in Dunkirk
Hallmark card store: Dunkirk
Party supply store: Dunkirk
Florist: 2 of them in Dunkirk (one at Walmart shopping center & Karen's of Calvert on the Dunkirk park side of route 4).

This is by no means an inclusive list, I'm just tired of typing, :lol:

If you're looking for something specific, PM me and I probably know where you can find it.

Last edited:

Typing_Mom

Come across the 301 Bridge to King George!

We're finally getting a Wal-Mart. The first retail in the entire county...EVER. :yahoo:

If they didn't sell it at Food Lion, you weren't getting it.

We moved here from Calvert County and this place makes Calvert seem like a metropolis.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
You asked about "Mom and Pop" stores.

Mom and Pop got old and Son and Son (or whatever) didn't want to take over the store.

People moving here over the last 25 or so years from where there were malls and more "covenience" complained and complained and complained about the stores that were here and, for the most part, wouldn't patronize them. Too small, too dark, too small a selection, too expensive, etc. without understanding why they were all those things. Their complaints were heard so successive Boards of County Commissioners busted a gut to get more national chains here. And to an extent they've succeeded. But all those new businesses ran many of the remaining smaller ones out. Those few that remained had to re-invent themselves in many cases.

Another thing, many people will spend $2 on gas to save .$20 on a loaf of bread, especially if the higher price is at Bob's Mini-Mart across the road and the next closest store is Giant.

A story:

When the Prince Frederick K-Mart opened in the late 1980's on what a couple years earlier had been a tobacco field the Grand Opening was black tie/invitation only.

Last edited:

Tony07

Libertarian.
PS...Stay FAR AWAY from PG! DANGEROUS!

Hope this helps.

Dangerous huh?

I've lived in southern PG County a good part of my life and it's not as dangerous as often is depicted in the media or press. I wonder why the local news media or press always being biased and discriminates towards the County at every chance that it gets? You can name them all, channels 4, 5, 7, 8, 9... They all seem too excited when something "bad" happens in the county and never seem to report the particular neighborhood where such "bad" incident happened. It's always reported to make it seem that crime is happening in every neighborhood in the County. However, whenever such incident happens in Montgomery County or any Virginia county it's always reported in the exact local, such as Silver Spring. I think that is unfair and it is not an accurate representation.

puggymom

Welcome. It will take you sometime to get adjusted. You'll just have to get used to the drive. From Owings you're a stone throw away to Annapolis, Bowie/Crofton, and Waldorf. About 30 minutes to either area.

I agree. You get used to the driving. I live in St. Mary's and where we live everything (Target, Lowe's, decent grocery store) is about 20 minutes away. Plus decent malls are further for me (Annapolis, Tyson's Corner). It used to bug me but now I like the peacefulness, especially with young kids.
The only thing that still gets me is the distance to a highway. I wish they would make 301 (from 5 to 97) going towards Baltimore like they did 5 to 95 going towards DC. All the lights every miles or so drives me nuts every time we visit family up north.