Ex-smokers

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by jetmonkey
My dad just died about two weeks, slowly suffocating to death, he was concious and in severe pain right to the end. It's a death you don't want to eff with, believe me.

Jet - my condolences on losing your dad. I can understand what you went through.

I had a very dear friend who died of lung cancer. I watched her go through hell for almost two years before she finally succumbed to the disease at age 40. It is a horrible death I would not wish upon anybody. There wasn't enough morphine in the world to ease the pain she went through.

If I hadn't quit smoking already, watching her slowly waste away would have done it. I am very thankful my mother gave up smoking a couple years after me. I want her around as long as possible.

Lilly

The Original Lilly
St. Mary's Hospital and the County Health Department will hold "Smoking Cessation" classes on the following dates:

September 5th, 2002
October 8th, 2002
January 8th, 2003
January 16th, 2003
March 12th, 2003
May 8th, 2003

Classes are FREE and run for 10 weeks each. They are from 6 to 7pm and held at the Health Department. You can call the Hospital (301-475-6019) or the Health Department (301-475-4330) for more info.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I just decided I was going to quit...and quit. That was in 1997. My entire family still smokes, but I have never had a slip-up or craving to light up again. In fact, I am thee worst nag and I do nothing but b*tch when I am home that everybody and everything stinks.

Oh man! There is nothing worse than a reformed smoker! Y'all complain more than those who've never smoked! :wink:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Darnit Cari! You beat me to the punch! :roflmao: I'd need three months or "life in a plastic bubble". Anyone remember that movie? 80's, made for tv flick?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cariblue
kids, husbands, work, the kitchen, traffic, bulletin boards, DOH!
I totally agree with you Cari. The strange thing is, for he most part, I only smoke when I drink. :cheers: I never go outside at work and smoke.

OK , I did on September 11th last year.....

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My nephews birthday, coming up soon. He won't tell anyone (new friends, friends who have forgotten it) when his birthday is now. He won't celebrate it. Probably won't for a long time to come.
That's to bad. I hope that will change some time in the future.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Christy

Oh man! There is nothing worse than a reformed smoker! Y'all complain more than those who've never smoked! :wink:
Not all of us do! :wink:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Not to bash your advice and encouragement, but these classes always made me want to smoke. Listening to a group of people whine about their non smoking adventures is a sure fire stresser for me.
Ain't that the truth! Whenever people start talking about how they quit smoking, I start feeming like a big dog.

I'm probably the only person in the world that actually likes to smoke and has no desire to quit. I stopped smoking in the house last year when Larry quit - now I sit in peace out on the deck and smoke my little lungs out :cool: :bandit:

Hardcrab

I quit cold turkey Dec. 28, 1983. I smoked the last cigarette from the last pack in the last carton I had. Crumbled up the empty pack and threw it along with my lighter (a bic disposable) in the trash. I still miss it!!
Now, if I could only loose weight and keep it off! Thats Tough to do. Quitting smoking or drinking (I did both) was a snap compared to loosing weight. Anybody that can do that, they have my admiration. I realize its all "relative". I've had thin people tell me "just stop eating the things that make you fat,. Thats what I do". Oh, if life where that easy.

hardcrab

Lilly

The Original Lilly
How are you doing with kicking the habit anyway tater?
When you find the magic solution . . . let me know . . .