Exercise rider?

flyhigh

Hey, I was curious if anyone knew of a place where I could get a job as an exercise rider on the track? Or a job working at the track? (cleaning stalls, grooming, that sorta thing) Is that even possible around here? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Robin

Good luck! We are a little far from the tracks here. Most of the TB farms around here are breeders and ship the TBs as Yearlings to the Keenland sale. or Timonium I would visit the track websites and make contacts through there if you are truely serious about this. Good Health ins too.

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
flyhigh said:
Hey, I was curious if anyone knew of a place where I could get a job as an exercise rider on the track? Or a job working at the track? (cleaning stalls, grooming, that sorta thing) Is that even possible around here? Any help would be great. Thanks.
got just what you need! she used to bored at the barn i worked at and i notticed she had sighns for exercise riders
www.myownracehorse.com
her name is kim. hope this helps!

covekat

Kim is a super nice person... she has a farm in Croom and was looking for someone not to long ago... Bowie is a good start, go see Linda Gaudet... you wont get a job riding, but will have to start out walking or grooming to start... Be wary of anyone offering you a riding job right off the bat.

S

saddlesore

flyhigh, let us know how it goes - keep us informed!

covekat

saddlesore said:
Why is that, Covekat?

A good reputable trainer will first make sure a rider has credentials.. like having galloped a racehorse before... the ones that dont ask, usually dont care about someone getting hurt, have horses they dont care about... have bad horses that no one else wants to get on, or they dont pay...etc... and the list goes on!

Just thought I'd add that to get on the track you have to be licensed... and a licensed excersise rider has to be okay'd by the outrider before being licensed... it's not as easy as walking on the grounds wearing a helmet and vest... start out with a good trainer who is willing to teach you, or at a good farm.

Last edited:

mingiz

Horse Poor
covekat said:
A good reputable trainer will first make sure a rider has credentials.. like having galloped a racehorse before... the ones that dont ask, usually dont care about someone getting hurt, have horses they dont care about... have bad horses that no one else wants to get on, or they dont pay...etc... and the list goes on!

Just thought I'd add that to get on the track you have to be licensed... and a licensed excersise rider has to be okay'd by the outrider before being licensed... it's not as easy as walking on the grounds wearing a helmet and vest... start out with a good trainer who is willing to teach you, or at a good farm.

:yeahthat:
Years ago I worked Pacers & trotters at Rosecroft. Seen alot of people hurt from not having the pre training. It's a hard life but also rewarding. Just remember to take care of number one. If you get a good trainer to work under life is eaier in the long run. But if ya get one that thinks thier a good trainer... hope you have good ins. You have to go through quailfying just as the horse does to race. If you get a good trainer to work under pay attention, you'll learn alot by listenng and watching...Good Luck.... :howdy:

S

saddlesore

covekat said:

Sounds like you have some experience at this, eh?

Robin

Thats neat Mingiz I helped a few up there and believe me I know what you mean. I was asked repeatedly to get into the program to drive. NNNNoooo WWWAAAAYYYY! I had seen a horse tear the driver and the bike up and wound up with the horse after the injury.. major attitude.... Had the horse for 14 yrs and was the best trail riding horse I had.

mingiz

Horse Poor
Robin said:
Thats neat Mingiz I helped a few up there and believe me I know what you mean. I was asked repeatedly to get into the program to drive. NNNNoooo WWWAAAAYYYY! I had seen a horse tear the driver and the bike up and wound up with the horse after the injury.. major attitude.... Had the horse for 14 yrs and was the best trail riding horse I had.

I was only the groom and Deb was the trainer/driver, but I did help with turn and burns at the farm track...that was fun

Robin

I was back up a few times and late night, the pace car was fun. rode in that a few times at head gate line up. I think everyone gets a go at that. I held 1 time in the spit box. nerve racking thought the horse was gonna kill me and it was forever getting tests back. Helped hobble and harness. A friend was trying to get me to go back and draw blood in the spit box and I told her no way. You need your own life insurance and a big policy at that. She still does it and bugs me every so often.

mingiz

Horse Poor
Yea it was fun but never had any time off. Work the farm 6 days a week then if ya had qualifiers and races...So the one day we did get off we had to rest if we didn't have a race that night....I miss it but again I'm glad I decided to get a real job...or I'd still be driving a 87 chevy pu... :lmao:

Robin

long days and nights and hard work. I called it quits when you get there at 6 a.m. and we were at the track till 2a.m. then still had to drive home

Robin

Boy friends doing that now..Preping for the Keeneland Sale in Sept. Up at 5a.m out the door at 5:30-6 at the yearlings barn, feed, groom, hot walk cool out bathe all before 10. Home at 7-8p.m. Long days working 7 days a week