EXPENSIVE helmet = Safer helmet?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
This is rather timely considering Zita has chewed THREE 80.00 helmets up in the last week alone...My little one can't seem to remember to bring them in after she rides. :frown:

> From: Roo
> Subject: Helmet cost and helmet safety
>
> Hi Jessica!
>
> Are some ASTM/SEI helmets safer than others? I've been seeing more and more of those $500 "skunk stripe"
> GPA helmets, and some folks swear that they are justifiable because they are a lot safer than the $50
> schooling helmet and $100 show helmet that I ride in.
> I know the horse world has its fads and fashions, and the GPAs are the must-have fashion item (I see that
> the other less expensive brands are now making lookalikes in the $70 price range) of the moment, but
> are they really safer?
>
> I just had a look at the Dover website, and see that they are now selling a new GPA "all carbon" helmet for
> $1449.99 (!!!)
>
> I know if I knew I could have a safer brain the money would be worth it and I'd find a way to pay for it,
> but I think these might be fashion and status symbols more than anything. Do you know for sure?
>
> I hope you are well, and I'm looking forward to reading your new book.
>
> Be well. As always, Horse Sense *rocks*!
>
> Roo in VT

Hi Roo! Great to hear from you, I thank you very much for the kind words about HORSE-SENSE, and yes, I do know for sure. Helmets that have been approved by ASTM/SEI have passed the tests and meet the current safety standards, full stop. There's no reason - other than the ones you cite - to pay $100 or $200 or $500 or more for an equestrian safety helmet. You can buy an approved schooling helmet for less than $30. I have a certain amount of sympathy for people who may have to buy special helmets because they have an existing injury or a particularly odd head shape, but nobody should be making claims that costlier helmets are by definition "safer," because that's just not true. As long as they're approved, they are AS SAFE as other approved helmets.

Very expensive helmets may perhaps look prettier or be more fashionable, but we're talking about SAFETY here, and that's an entirely different issue.

Actually I would prefer to see people buying the inexpensive helmets, for two reasons. First, why should they waste money on costly helmets and imagine that they're buying "more protection" when they aren't? Second, what are the odds that an extremely expensive helmet will actually be binned and replaced as soon as the rider has a bad fall? I'd guess that the $25 or $30 schooling helmet is more likely to be replaced in a timely manner - today's riders are sufficiently clever and well-educated to feel that they've gotten their money's worth after a single crash in a schooling helmet. Do people who wear the super-expensive helmets - or buy them for their children - run out and replace them instantly after a crash? I don't know. I hope they do, in which case their children will be as safe as any other children who ride, and the extra cost can be put down to affectation or status-seeking or some such phenomenon. But if the riders and parents who buy the super-expensive helmets DON'T replace those helmets when they should, if the much greater expense of these fancy helmets tempts them to look at a helmet after a fall and say "Well, we don't SEE any damage so it must be fine," then the extra-expensive helmets could possibly be contributing to a higher risk for the riders who wear them... But that's venturing into the realm of psychology and speculation, so I'll abandon my digression and come back to your original question. ;-)

As long as your helmet meets or exceeds the current ASTM/SEI standards, and as long as it fits you properly and is adjusted properly, and as long as you WEAR IT, it shouldn't matter whether you paid $15 or $50 or $1500! Your friends are, of course, free to spend as much as they like on their helmets, but don't let them convince you that their heads are better protected than yours.

For more information on tested, certified helmets, and for a list of helmets that meet the current standards, visit the SEI web site at www.seinet.org.

You may also want to visit our very own TRUE HELMET STORIES page: www.horse-sense.org/stories/, where you'll find - in addition to all the stories from readers - a source for the "Every Time, Every Ride" educational video on head injury prevention, a downloadable PDF on concussion (also available in text format), and a list of TRUE HELMET FACTS reprinted with permission of the AMEA (American Medical Equestrian Association).

Stay safe!

Jessica Jahiel
jjahiel@prairienet.org

fredsaid2

The GPA mentioned at $1400 is made of carbon fiber, advertised at 10 times the strength of other materials. Yes, it's more than a lot will pay for a saddle but if you can afford it and it's what you want.....
The other GPA styles run from $350 to $400, still a hefty investment. International has a similar style for under $100. Both brands fit differently, sometimes you're limited by your head shape and what fits best. I.E. you may not be able to wear the GPA. Troxel makes nice schooling helmets and they are a great way to go for lessons and casual riding. We should all learn to take care of our helmets, even dropping them can be damaging. Pick a helmet that's ASTM certified, one that fits YOU and wear it every ride. Price is irrelevant as long as you walk away from a fall. :smile:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
fredsaid2 said:
The GPA mentioned at $1400 is made of carbon fiber, advertised at 10 times the strength of other materials. Yes, it's more than a lot will pay for a saddle but if you can afford it and it's what you want.....
The other GPA styles run from $350 to $400, still a hefty investment. International has a similar style for under $100. Both brands fit differently, sometimes you're limited by your head shape and what fits best. I.E. you may not be able to wear the GPA. Troxel makes nice schooling helmets and they are a great way to go for lessons and casual riding. We should all learn to take care of our helmets, even dropping them can be damaging. Pick a helmet that's ASTM certified, one that fits YOU and wear it every ride. Price is irrelevant as long as you walk away from a fall. :smile:
Oh I always walk away from a fall (usually) but i usually end up needing something surgically repaired the helmet had no way of protecting anyway (my nose or my knee) :lol:
Do the more expensive ones retain their brims? Or the foamy stuff inside the visor? Even the ones I pay so much for at Elams seem to fall apart on short order with no stress on them. But they are pretty. :biggrin:

fredsaid2

happyappygirl said:
Oh I always walk away from a fall (usually) but i usually end up needing something surgically repaired the helmet had no way of protecting anyway (my nose or my knee) :lol:
Do the more expensive ones retain their brims? Or the foamy stuff inside the visor? Even the ones I pay so much for at Elams seem to fall apart on short order with no stress on them. But they are pretty. :biggrin:

One of the differences in the more expensive helmets is sizing. Lower price point helmets come S,M,L.....higher price points come in a range of specific sizes so you don't need all the extra pads. Brims should be flexible to protect the nose. Some Internationals have a dial fit system. Sounds like a nice option for a growing child. We went the troxel route for schooling when she was young. Now that she's older she uses her ITH for everything. It's in great shape after 3ish years of continuous use.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Interesting discussion

I have wondered about horsie helmets since the drop from a horse is about twice as far as from a bike. Those little beanies don't look like they offer much protection.
With the bike helmets, comfort goes up with price.
We've got 3 standards to contend with, DOT, European ECE 22-05 and SNELL.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
aps45819 said:
I have wondered about horsie helmets since the drop from a horse is about twice as far as from a bike. Those little beanies don't look like they offer much protection.
With the bike helmets, comfort goes up with price.
We've got 3 standards to contend with, DOT, European ECE 22-05 and SNELL.
Of course on a horse they normally aren't going to be landing on asphalt, nor are they going to be worred about a slide down main street at 60MPH..

$400 sounds awful steep for a horsey helmet to me... I mean that's the top of the line flip front motorcylce helmet price range, and $1499?? It must be a Coach helmet..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
fredsaid2 said:
Go to your local Harley shop, buy a $29 DOT half melmet, and put a fabric cover on it..

W

WildHorses

:flowers:
fredsaid2 said:

:yeahthat: We have a variety of helmets at our farm. For example, Changeling (who we don't expect to come off the horse too often and if she does we're pretty sure it'll be bad and a helmet won't be her saving grace) has the $400 GPA. :faint: However, Little Changeliing rides in a more expensive fitted helmet than the IRH but less than the GPA (because she does come off the horse quite often and has a habit of landing on her head). :jameo: With some of the adjustable helmets, dial fits have been known to fly off her head when she flies off the horse, no matter how tight. :otter: Of course, Little Changeling's head is the size of a pea which is why we ended up with a fitted helmet and she's not quite ready for a GPA until she stops coming off on her head. :lmao: The lesson helmets are mostly all Troxel dial fits and most of our students have Troxel helmets because we do our utmost to ensure they never come off the horse. :huggy: So, it's just a matter of riding ability, comfort, use, the IQ of the horse you're riding, etc. and all boils down to personal preference.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
itsbob said:
Of course on a horse they normally aren't going to be landing on asphalt, nor are they going to be worred about a slide down main street at 60MPH..
No, but wouldn't they be more likely to hit something when the land?
Gravity is a constant so the actual fall would be worse, just wouldn't slide as far after you hit.

W

WildHorses

aps45819 said:
No, but wouldn't they be more likely to hit something when the land?
Gravity is a constant so the actual fall would be worse, just wouldn't slide as far after you hit.

The goal is to usually hit some sort of soft dirt/sand, but trees have popped up out of nowhere once in a while. :jameo:

W

WildHorses

aps45819 said:
Gee, that must be nice. We get a "moving violation" ticket with points for incorrect safty equipment

Ah, but in Calvert County we can't even take the horses on the road to get a "moving violation", so there. :razz: :killingme

fredsaid2

aps45819 said:
Gee, that must be nice. We get a "moving violation" ticket with points for incorrect safty equipment

She means a choice from an ASTM certified helmet. Junior riders must wear an approved helmet when mounted at USEF shows and most local associations follow USEF guidelines. Even senior riders now have to wear approved helmets over fences.

The most important aspect of the helmet other than certification is fit. Everything else falls by the wayside.

WHs, has your little one tried the Tipperary? It's supposed to have a deeper fit and coverage for the back of the neck. I've read it's very comfortable though maybe a little odd looking. It comes in an xs (5 3/4 - 6 1/8).

W

WildHorses

fredsaid2 said:
WHs, has your little one tried the Tipperary? It's supposed to have a deeper fit and coverage for the back of the neck. I've read it's very comfortable though maybe a little odd looking. It comes in an xs (5 3/4 - 6 1/8).

We couldn't convince her to try on the Tipperary, although I agree it looks like a nice safe helmet. The problem is that she's 9 years old but is the size of a 6 year old when it comes to riding apparel and is very particular about what she wears. :huggy: We did, however, after her last flying through the air incident convince her that a Tipperary vest was a necessary piece of schooling apparel and she did agree to a white eventing skull cap helmet for schooling (as long as we jazzed it up). Just ordered her new show helmet since she managed to land on her head at her last show and dented the old one. As I said before, it's between an IRH and a GPA. We'll probably go through a few before it's all said and done. :whistle: She's a true testament of the quality of the ASTM and SEI certified helmets since each time she has jumped up and back on the horse. :yahoo: Anybody know of a bombproof pony out there? Just kidding. :killingme

Last edited by a moderator:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
itsbob said:

You've OBVIOUSLY never ridden with us CowGurls of SOMD :lol:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
WildHorses said:
The goal is to usually hit some sort of soft dirt/sand, but trees have popped up out of nowhere once in a while. :jameo:
MY lil one would land ON Changeling if she Flubbed up her emergency dismount, as much as Changeling runs backwards alongside the schooling horses/riders :lol:

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
Kudos to the little one for hopping right back on!!!!! That's why we're partial over here to those saddles with a handle! Although they're not foolproof either!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
HorseLady said:
Kudos to the little one for hopping right back on!!!!! That's why we're partial over here to those saddles with a handle! Although they're not foolproof either!

That little cutie prolly vaulted back :lol: