Facebook Account Questions

stgislander

PREMO Member
My wife discovered this morning her Facebook account has been hacked... again.

Does anybody know how to (1) change the password or (2) close an account so a new one can be opened? She says she's clicked every button she can find looking for assistance with no luck.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Facebook support is non-existant.

She'll likely have to create a new email account to set up new.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
My wife discovered this morning her Facebook account has been hacked... again.

Does anybody know how to (1) change the password or (2) close an account so a new one can be opened? She says she's clicked every button she can find looking for assistance with no luck.
Password change - have her click on her homepage image all the way to the right of the notifications "bell". Should drop a box with account settings, click "settings and privacy", she can then get into settings to make the password change.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I have no clue. (I'm not on FB.) She says she got a message on FB from somebody she knows asking her if she sent her a message about something.
She may have been spoofed. Someone lifts her pictures and starts a new fake profile under her name and then sends messages to the friends on her original page. People receiving the messages should report the fake profile. She should post that on her page telling people it's fake. And change her password.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
She may have been spoofed. Someone lifts her pictures and starts a new fake profile under her name and then sends messages to the friends on her original page. People receiving the messages should report the fake profile. She should post that on her page telling people it's fake. And change her password.
that^. Almost nobody ever gets "hacked" on FB but so few realize that. Spoofing, on the other hand, is beyond commonplace and changing your password won't have any effect on spoofing.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
that^. Almost nobody ever gets "hacked" on FB but so few realize that. Spoofing, on the other hand, is beyond commonplace and changing your password won't have any effect on spoofing.
Agree, but change the password anyway for peace of mind.

Many high-level YouTubers are having issues with being spoofed, new accounts are created on other social media platforms with the stolen name, and post pics and vids from the originator, so readers think it's the real deal. And they all complain about how difficult it is to get rid of them.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Many high-level YouTubers are having issues with being spoofed, new accounts are created on other social media platforms with the stolen name, and post pics and vids from the originator, so readers think it's the real deal. And they all complain about how difficult it is to get rid of them.
That's why I keep my chit locked down.

New question; someone blocked me sometime ago, for reasons unknown. I don't care. Said person has now sent me 4 friend requests. I don't respond, at all. They recind their requests and send again. Even twice today.

Leave me the eff alone!

Clem72

Password change - have her click on her homepage image all the way to the right of the notifications "bell". Should drop a box with account settings, click "settings and privacy", she can then get into settings to make the password change.

If it's happened more than once, she probably has easy questions set for the account reset or the person has access to her e-mail for the reset verification.

OR

If it's someone with a bit more technical competence, they could be spoofing the phone number and unlocking with the app.

Best to change password and security questions and enable two factor authentication.

That said, like 99+ percent of the time the person just left their account logged in and someone else posted using it. I may or may not have done this to the same person at work almost every week for the better part of a year.

mitzi

Reporting the fake profile does nothing either. One of my best friends (life long) FB was taken over. Different name but it was her page. It took me a month to figure out what had happened. My friend died in 2012. A new name was on my friend's list (several months ago) but I really didn't pay much attention. I figured it was someone I was in school with. In Memories one day things came up from this person but the posts were the exact same things my deceased friend would say. Even an old nickname that nobody knew but us. Then the light bulb went off and I went to my friend's page. Her sister contacted me because she was getting the same. We reported it and FB came back with it didn't violate their standards or something to that effect. So we contacted everyone on our mutual friend list what happened. We have a lot of people from the old neighborhood growing up and from school.
Another faked account they messaged me asking to borrow money. I knew it wasn't the real person because they would never do that. I knew she had been hacked or whatever by the stuff that was posting. The killer was this person was trying to prove to me it was really my "friend". They sent me a copy of her DRIVER'S LICENSE! How they got a copy of her license I'll never know. I told this person "Since you live down the street, walk on over and get the money". No response. Later that morning, I sent a message saying I'm still waiting on you, when are you coming?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Reporting the fake profile does nothing either. One of my best friends (life long) FB was taken over. Different name but it was her page. It took me a month to figure out what had happened. My friend died in 2012. A new name was on my friend's list (several months ago) but I really didn't pay much attention. I figured it was someone I was in school with. In Memories one day things came up from this person but the posts were the exact same things my deceased friend would say. Even an old nickname that nobody knew but us. Then the light bulb went off and I went to my friend's page. Her sister contacted me because she was getting the same. We reported it and FB came back with it didn't violate their standards or something to that effect. So we contacted everyone on our mutual friend list what happened. We have a lot of people from the old neighborhood growing up and from school.
Another faked account they messaged me asking to borrow money. I knew it wasn't the real person because they would never do that. I knew she had been hacked or whatever by the stuff that was posting. The killer was this person was trying to prove to me it was really my "friend". They sent me a copy of her DRIVER'S LICENSE! How they got a copy of her license I'll never know. I told this person "Since you live down the street, walk on over and get the money". No response. Later that morning, I sent a message saying I'm still waiting on you, when are you coming?
That person clearly has WAAAAYYYY too much time on their hands to go to that extent. My elderly cousin was spoofed several times and I reported it every time and the fake disappeared. It's also happened to my mother and another cousin. The last one kept messaging me trying to get me to sign up for some sort of COVID reimbursement thing in California, where she lives. I played along for awhile, just to annoy them. They finally stopped when I told them I was trying to contact them about their car warranty. 🦗 🦗 🦗

mitzi

They finally stopped when I told them I was trying to contact them about their car warranty. 🦗 🦗 🦗

:killingmeI was messing with the one asking for money, all kinds of stuff like we were old friends and about work (the real person and I did work together at one time). The one who took my dead friend's id just pissed me off. I was messing with them too. Everyday I'd go to the profile and type in all caps the account was stolen and anything else I could think of. I blasted it all over the alumni groups, etc. we were in and tagged them. They finally blocked me I think. I couldn't get into it anymore.