Facebook Satire Is Hate Speech

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Facebook's New Announcement on Satire Doesn't Bode Well for the Babylon Bee...

Last week, Facebook announced that it would clarify the “satire exception” to its “Hate Speech Community Standard.” While this is welcome news for the expansion of content on Facebook, the platform also suggested it would act as a kind of satire police, ruling out certain kinds of satire that “punch down” or communicates “hateful ideas.” Almost as if on cue, Slate published an article on Tuesday attacking The Babylon Bee for — you guessed it — “punching down.”

In responding to a satirical meme that Facebook removed for “Hate Speech,” the platform’s oversight board made a few recommendations for expanding and then policing satire on the platform.

“Facebook should include the satire exception, which is currently not communicated to users, in the public language of the Hate Speech Community Standard,” the board recommended. Facebook agreed to do this.

“Facebook should make sure that it has adequate procedures in place to address satirical content and relevant context properly including by providing content moderators with additional resources,” the board also suggested.

Hijinx

Dropped that site over 4 years ago. You are right. F Facebook. I stay in touch the old fashioned way…phone calls, photos, and letters/cards.

I liked hearing from friends on facebook and seeing their kids and other things. It was a nice waste of time, but I was never there to say my piece anyway because they kept putting me in facebook jail for not towing the line of their bias in what they considered community standards. So I deleted everything and got out. F 'em. I applaud this site for allowing my own censorship of idiots with their ignore feature, and my thoughts are that facebook should do the same. It is not up to a commercial entity to decide what my and other people's community standards are.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Facebook suspended me for 24 hours on June 4th because I said the person who posted a SPIDER ON A FILE CABINET meme needed to burn the house down. I sh*t you not. They called that VIOLENCE. Suspended for 24 hours.

This was after "warning" me on May 5th about calling the gal who was bitching out a police officer - a "self-absorbed bitch". FB called that "BULLYING".

The other day, a friend of mine asked me a question about the FB Dating App, which I'd never used, but when I went to look at it to see if I could answer her question- I discovered I don't have the App! I searched all over, uninstalled and re-installed the FB App. I restarted my phone, and made sure the OS and FB was up to date. Nothing. (Thing1 also has FB, and when I checked HIS account on MY phone - he has the dating app available to him. 🤔

So a brief Google search turned up that being restricted on FB can also restrict from other sections of FB. No where on the site can I find out exactly how long that restriction to the FB Dating App (and whatever else is missing that I don't know of) lasts. I'm not restricted now - but my Account Status shows as Yellow/Warning. "Your account may be restricted if you violate again". No word anywhere that I can find on when that "warning" goes away, if ever.

Louise

Facebook suspended me for 24 hours on June 4th because I said the person who posted a SPIDER ON A FILE CABINET meme needed to burn the house down. I sh*t you not. They called that VIOLENCE. Suspended for 24 hours.

This was after "warning" me on May 5th about calling the gal who was bitching out a police officer - a "self-absorbed bitch". FB called that "BULLYING".

The other day, a friend of mine asked me a question about the FB Dating App, which I'd never used, but when I went to look at it to see if I could answer her question- I discovered I don't have the App! I searched all over, uninstalled and re-installed the FB App. I restarted my phone, and made sure the OS and FB was up to date. Nothing. (Thing1 also has FB, and when I checked HIS account on MY phone - he has the dating app available to him. 🤔

So a brief Google search turned up that being restricted on FB can also restrict from other sections of FB. No where on the site can I find out exactly how long that restriction to the FB Dating App (and whatever else is missing that I don't know of) lasts. I'm not restricted now - but my Account Status shows as Yellow/Warning. "Your account may be restricted if you violate again". No word anywhere that I can find on when that "warning" goes away, if ever.

Stop using FB. Show no support. Just my thoughts. Every day that I read what is going on in our Country, and beyond is scary stuff. WE have to stand tall. It is all so obvious. Take care. God bless the USA. :patriot: