Factors That Affect Heart Attack Survival

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
"ScienceDaily (Apr. 4, 2011) — A new Yale University study looks at why there is such a big difference in the mortality rates among patients treated for heart attacks in hospitals across the country. The study appears in the March issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine.

Until now, little has been known about the factors that may influence this variation in death rates. The Yale team reviewed 11 hospitals through interviews and site visits. Those selected were among the best and worst performers, as rated by the federal agency that administers Medicare and Medicaid."

The five hospital factors that affect heart attack survival

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I did some research online and found this link where you can have hospitals listed by thepercentage of deaths for heart attack.

Use the interactive tool (below) and you'll find that St. Mary's Hospital and Southern MD Hospital both have low rates of deaths from heart attacks (15%). I assume that's because most heart attack victims are transferred elsewhere? I say that because when I look up the DC hospitals I see higher rates (than the 2 So.MD hospitals) for heart attack deaths at hospitals where heart care is supposed to be advanced.

Compare hospitals on heart attack, heart failure and pneumonia - USATODAY.com

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Southern Maryland does have a fairly new Cardio section, they are also, along with St Marys a regional stroke center.

That is interesting because there have been so many complaints about So.MD Hospital, that most folks I know stay away from there if at all possible. If the place has improved it would be good for the news of that to be spread.

quailridge

When my husband had a heart attack a few years ago, I drove him to St. Mary's Hospital's ER. They had him out of there in less than 20 minutes...the wait only being the time it took for the helicopter to get there to fly him out to Washington Hospital Center. I would think that wait time would be cut now that WHC has a helicopter based in St. Mary's County.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
When my husband had a heart attack a few years ago, I drove him to St. Mary's Hospital's ER. They had him out of there in less than 20 minutes...the wait only being the time it took for the helicopter to get there to fly him out to Washington Hospital Center. I would think that wait time would be cut now that WHC has a helicopter based in St. Mary's County.

The rate of deaths at WHC I think was 16% compared to that of 15% for the 2 So. MD hospitals I cited. I wondered how that could be? I figured it had to be due to patients being transported to other hospitals, as you mention.

bcp

In My Opinion
The rate of deaths at WHC I think was 16% compared to that of 15% for the 2 So. MD hospitals I cited. I wondered how that could be? I figured it had to be due to patients being transported to other hospitals, as you mention.

Has to do with the more intense surgeries that are performed at WHC, and the fact that a lot of hospitals will transfer patients to WHC.

WHC is getting the worst of the worst in many cases, they are likely to have a higher overall death rate. But, there is no better place to go in the DC/Baltimore area if you are suffering from a heart problem.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Has to do with the more intense surgeries that are performed at WHC, and the fact that a lot of hospitals will transfer patients to WHC.

WHC is getting the worst of the worst in many cases, they are likely to have a higher overall death rate. But, there is no better place to go in the DC/Baltimore area if you are suffering from a heart problem.

Must have been my insurance that sent me to George Washington then? I survived the surgical procedure so I won't complain.