Farriers Again

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
Hate to bring the farrier subject up yet again but I need to. I searched the past post and found some information but I would like more up to date information on farriers you guys use. I'm having a problem with mine and I'm searching for a new one. I have a mini pony, QH thats coming back from a torn ligament, and a QH show horse who is rode 5x a week and shown at least 2 weekends in a month. I need someone reliable, that doesn't cancel last minute and will call back.

I read about Mike poe in older post and would like to hear more about him. Also, someone I know mentioned someone with the last name bottoms I think. Anyone know that person? And another I heard was a guy name Kirk out of PA no last name but heard he was good too.

TIA

R

remaxrealtor

Hate to bring the farrier subject up yet again but I need to. I searched the past post and found some information but I would like more up to date information on farriers you guys use. I'm having a problem with mine and I'm searching for a new one. I have a mini pony, QH thats coming back from a torn ligament, and a QH show horse who is rode 5x a week and shown at least 2 weekends in a month. I need someone reliable, that doesn't cancel last minute and will call back.

I read about Mike poe in older post and would like to hear more about him. Also, someone I know mentioned someone with the last name bottoms I think. Anyone know that person? And another I heard was a guy name Kirk out of PA no last name but heard he was good too.

TIA

Hey you!!! How's little Charlie?

I'm sticking with Pat Quinn....TOTALLY reliable, has brought Lou's feet around like no one else has, always there, always on time, takes his time, knows his work!

BlissfulJumper

Hey you!!! How's little Charlie?

I'm sticking with Pat Quinn....TOTALLY reliable, has brought Lou's feet around like no one else has, always there, always on time, takes his time, knows his work!

He's great! Loves the big field. Bailey is here now and they are in love.

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair

TIA

I feel for you. My farrier was scheduled to do my horses feet 8 weeks after their last trim, on December 15th, my birthday. He didn't show, didn't call, didn't return my call later when I tried to get a hold of him to reschedule. I didn't even hear from him until the day before he showed up on April 8th to finally do the horses feet ( six months after the last trim). He scheduled the next appointment for June 1, only he didn't show up but at least called to say he would call back to reschedule. Haven't heard from him since and I've called to ask him to call me so we can reschedule. I've tried rasping the edges of my horses feet so they won't chip and break off from being so long but can't do much because I have a slipped disc/lots of back pain. This has been going on since my original farrier died and I had to replace him. My best friend uses him too and can't believe he does this. I think it's way past time for us to look into getting a new farrier. I'm just hoping that this isn't the norm for farriers, I guess I was spoiled with a good one for a long, long time.

mingiz

Horse Poor
I used the same farrier as BeenSpur'd. Had the same problem and fired him. Best move I made. I use Pat Riffle now and have never had any issues at all..
My horses feet are in great shape and no lameness issues as before because they were being cut to short...
Seems reliable farriers are hard to fine these days...:whistle:

BlissfulJumper

BeenSpur & Mingiz i agree with it being hard to find good ones that are reliable. I can understand canceling once or twice(things happen) but my guy calls 2 hrs before he's suppose to come and cancels and doesn't call back. He gave me some lame excuse for canceling then to find out my friend who also uses him had the same thing happen to her the same week but with a different excuse. So that really hurt me. BeenSpur'd does your farrier live in King George Co., VA and first name start with an R? It seems as if we are using the same one possibly.

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
Really? That's strange, I'm pretty sure I use that guy on one my horses for corrective shoeing. I've never had a problem with him!
Where do you live, Bliss? I use Pat Quinn (he's in Prince Frederick, Calvert County) and never have had any problems like that from him. On time, knows what he's doing, calls you, and calls back! To be honest he's not my favorite guy but he's ridiculously reliable.

BlissfulJumper

Really? That's strange, I'm pretty sure I use that guy on one my horses for corrective shoeing. I've never had a problem with him!
Where do you live, Bliss? I use Pat Quinn (he's in Prince Frederick, Calvert County) and never have had any problems like that from him. On time, knows what he's doing, calls you, and calls back! To be honest he's not my favorite guy but he's ridiculously reliable.

I live in Drayden, Md. 15 minutes from Brass Rail in Great Mills. If it is the same guy he does really well wih corrective shoeing and Has really turned my horses around but the not calling thing and canceling all the time is striking a nerve. My appt was Tues June 30th @ 2 I called him at 1030 to tell him my mare was in training at another facility and I would met him there well when I called he told me his wife was in the hospital and he would call me back at 1 to let me know if he was gunna make it. Well at 330-4 pm he calls to say he couldn't make it which was fine because I believed his wife was in the hospital. So I call my friend who uses him, who tells me she's been calling for a week straight so he can put a thrown shoe back on. Well he calls her that same day and tells her his father died a day or two ago and that his uncle killed himself that same day(Tuesday my appt day) and that's when I got ticked off because all of that seems a little far fetched. My friend proceeds to tell me he'll be at her place the next tuesday(tomorrow) and she lives 10 minutes from me. I'm thinking he'll call on tuesday and say i can do them now and I just won't be able to.

This isn't the first time this has happend. It's been atleast 4 times now. And Its hard for me to deal with it because of my hectic show schedule. I leave wednesday for a show and need shoes or atleast an appt right after. I've sent alot of people his way from the forum because I praise his work so well I just hope they aren't getting screwed like me.

TCF... I will PM you name

ooktdoo

I have had the same problem with a farrier I used. I used her for 4 years and she really turned my horses issues with farriers around, I really enjoyed spending time with her and loved the work she did. I moved to MA for about a year and took my horse with me. When I moved back home I tried to contact her to do my guys feet which she said was fine and that she'd schedule myself and another girl who lives in the next town over on the same day. My barn manager called me that day to tell me the farrier never showed up but left a recording on the barns VM that her horse was running a fever so she stayed home. It'd been nice if she had called ME to tell me!! I live about 2 hours away from where my horse is kept so usually I would have just put a check in the mail and went about my business, thank god I didnt do that this time! That was on May 8th. I called her a week later to ask when she was going to reschedule as my horse was very overdue at this point. Still to this day I have not heard one thing out of her. I just decided to go with who my barn uses and literally hope for the best. He does nice work on the other horses but I've had problems with him in the past and have had to have him come back out to do D.A's feet again. He's also not exactly the most patient person. Oy vey. I'll never understand how people expect to make money while running such HORRIBLE businesses!

IntegritysDream

I use Richard... not the young guy... the older guy. errrr his last name.... i cant think of it... Campini? or something on that line. He made a complete turn around with indys feet, and indy has a lot of leg/hoof problems, and hes corrected it all without making indy sore-footed afterwards (which is amazing). Always on time, reliable and will try to squeeze you in if the horse looses a shoe or something. I have his number if you want it.

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
BeenSpur & Mingiz i agree with it being hard to find good ones that are reliable. I can understand canceling once or twice(things happen) but my guy calls 2 hrs before he's suppose to come and cancels and doesn't call back. He gave me some lame excuse for canceling then to find out my friend who also uses him had the same thing happen to her the same week but with a different excuse. So that really hurt me. BeenSpur'd does your farrier live in King George Co., VA and first name start with an R? It seems as if we are using the same one possibly.

I'm sure he doesn't live in VA and not sure where he lives. I saw an ad for a women farrier and I am going to call her. Women are awesome and can do anything and am hoping she will show up for scheduled appointments, call if something comes up, call you back to reschedule if you leave a message for her to and do a decent job trimming. That is all I ask and pay for. Anything more would be gravy.

Winn Dixie

Song of the South

Oh come on girls, you know why he won't come back!:smoochy:Just think about it for a while and I'm sure it'll come to you.:jerry:

covekat

Sorry you are having trouble with your farrier.... I feel bad since I recomended him, I know he was out of town for a week, like two weeks ago...

devinej

huh, i really kinda liked his work Blissful. not sure if you can find as good quality work with anyone else around here...uh oh...i hope he shows up for me...

BlissfulJumper

huh, i really kinda liked his work Blissful. not sure if you can find as good quality work with anyone else around here...uh oh...i hope he shows up for me...

I know right! You saw him the first time he did Kahlua. Thats why I hate to see him go because he does such good work. When is he suppose to come do your guys?

FrmGrl

Get some!
The R from VA is the only one who does not screw up Shadows feet. She was lame after every other farrier in town. He is so busy sometimes he does need to reschedule and usually is always late although he caught me once or twice where he came early. I am willing to deal with that because he does such a nice job on their feet.

BlissfulJumper

bliss - july 20th. i'll let you know.

Thanks! I really hate to let him go because of the nice work but it's hard for me to move appointments around since I'm out of state every other week.

Frmgrl- R as in Rick? I think we have the same one. He turned my gelding's feet around and made them so much better. Atleast now I know I'm not to far down the road for him and that isn't the problem!

Has anyone ever heard of Spencer Bottoms?

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
The R from VA is the only one who does not screw up Shadows feet. She was lame after every other farrier in town. He is so busy sometimes he does need to reschedule and usually is always late although he caught me once or twice where he came early. I am willing to deal with that because he does such a nice job on their feet.

If it is the one that I am thinking of he does come late or needs to reschedule frequently but he does a great job with Red's feet. SO..I can wait and tolerate it. I just start having him contacted a week or two before he is due.