Faster than Light?

Scientists: Particles appear to travel faster than light - CNN.com

Scientists in Switzerland say an experiment appears to show that tiny particles traveled faster than the speed of light -- a result that would seem to defy the laws of nature.

The physicists say that neutrinos sent 730 kilometers (453.6 miles) underground between laboratories in Switzerland and Italy arrived a fraction of a second sooner than they should have, according to the speed of light.

I've always felt that the speed of light was not a finite barrier to speed, but just another 'level' to be broken. In early days, no one thought you could go faster than the speed of sound, that traveling 30mph in an open buggy would boil your blood....

Baz

This. ------------------>
Scientists: Particles appear to travel faster than light - CNN.com

I've always felt that the speed of light was not a finite barrier to speed, but just another 'level' to be broken. In early days, no one thought you could go faster than the speed of sound, that traveling 30mph in an open buggy would boil your blood....

I agree. Just because something seems impossible "here and now", doesn't mean it's truly impossible.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this discovery holds up over further investigation.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Last edited:

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
I was under the impression the, quantified, "speed of light" was an approximation.

It would be cool if my impression is incorrect....and there is a quantifiable speed that is faster than light :yay:

I was under the impression the, quantified, "speed of light" was an approximation.

It would be cool if my impression is incorrect....and there is a quantifiable speed that is faster than light :yay:

As far as I know, the speed of light is a real number, a constant, not an approximation.

The speed of light in vacuum, usually denoted by c, is a physical constant important in many areas of physics. Its value is 299,792,458 metres per second, a figure that is exact since the length of the metre is defined from this constant and the international standard for time.

Speed of light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

blacklabman

e/m=c2?

They only way I know of gravity influencing light is by changing it's course.

My astronomy course said that the speed of light is influenced by gravity. The higher the, the slower the light. The GPS system takes this into account. Gravity does bend light, like the lensing effect as seen by the Sun's effect on the apparent position of a distant star during a solar eclipse.

My astronomy course said that the speed of light is influenced by gravity. The higher the, the slower the light. The GPS system takes this into account. Gravity does bend light, like the lensing effect as seen by the Sun's effect on the apparent position of a distant star during a solar eclipse.

I believe you. Otherwise there would be no black holes. Except I don't think there is anything in a black hole. It is an entrance to another universe. No, not really, but maybe.

Vale

This Space For Rent
The science is settled, the time for debate is over. Deniers should be persecuted...

Ooops, wrong argument.

As you were...

blacklabman

I believe you. Otherwise there would be no black holes. Except I don't think there is anything in a black hole. It is an entrance to another universe. No, not really, but maybe.

Well, perhaps, but astronomers can determine the mass of a black hole in terms of X measures of solar mass, our Sun having a value of one. I'll have to go back and review that part of the course.

Well, perhaps, but astronomers can determine the mass of a black hole in terms of X measures of solar mass, our Sun having a value of one. I'll have to go back and review that part of the course.

Perhaps they are just measuring part of what is on the other side or the mass just before it passes through.

SamSpade

I'm still skeptical. I find it hard to believe a tiny particle that has mass can move across the Earth (through whatever medium stood in its path) FASTER than light (which does not have mass) moves in a complete vacuum.

My gut says that there's a sound explanation for why this phenomenon occurred based on science we already know - say, the Earth warps space and the neutrino isn't affected by gravity or something dumb like that.

I'm still skeptical. I find it hard to believe a tiny particle that has mass can move across the Earth (through whatever medium stood in its path) FASTER than light (which does not have mass) moves in a complete vacuum.

My gut says that there's a sound explanation for why this phenomenon occurred based on science we already know - say, the Earth warps space and the neutrino isn't affected by gravity or something dumb like that.

So are the scientists that reported it.