Fatal Motor Vehicle Accident in Huntingtown

MMDad

Lem Putt
http://www.somd.com/news/headlines/articles/3203.shtml

What the F*** are these kids doing? Two of them were firefighters. They probably helped scoop up kids who did the same thing, yet they still did it again.

I used to be a volunteer band instructor for one of these kids in his freshman year. That's two kids from the three years I volunteered. I wish they would stop killing themselves.

Ponytail

Last year, the daughter of one of the guys I work with fell asleep at the wheel and almost last her life. She's an EMT but was still young, and thought she could make it home for some shut eye.

The case you noted above though, those kids are lucky they ALL weren't killed. Maybe the Survivors will tell the story and be able to get the message through to just ONE of their friends and make a difference. Hope for the best, is all we can do I guess.

:yay:

Band Instructor though? Ya know, I should prolly bust on ya for it. But I can't. Your gettin some green, and a "good on ya!". Band, among other things, kept my butt off the corners. (THAT doesn't sound good!) I give teachers of any kind that have obvious heart felt attachments to their students, past, present or future, alot of respect. It's the one's that give chit that make a difference. :clap:

PT

bcp

In My Opinion
As sad and tragic as everyone of these accidents is, It reminds me of my youth.

we went out and drove like idiots, we drank (back then it was almost legal) we built up our cars to go as fast as we could.
and as we watched friends die in car accidents we would sit there and pat ourselves on the back for being such good drivers that this could never happen to us.

we were untouchable by death. Its always going to be someone else that it happens to.

Every time I read about one of these, I pray to God that their souls will make it to him, and I thank God that I did not suffer the same fate.

Kids are not the smartest when it comes to making decisions for the sake of safety. And, as a kid just starting to drive, either was I... I was just lucky.

God be with them and their families at this time.

MMDad

Lem Putt
bcp said:
As sad and tragic as everyone of these accidents is, It reminds me of my youth.

we went out and drove like idiots, we drank (back then it was almost legal) we built up our cars to go as fast as we could.
and as we watched friends die in car accidents we would sit there and pat ourselves on the back for being such good drivers that this could never happen to us.

we were untouchable by death. Its always going to be someone else that it happens to.

Every time I read about one of these, I pray to God that their souls will make it to him, and I thank God that I did not suffer the same fate.

Kids are not the smartest when it comes to making decisions for the sake of safety. And, as a kid just starting to drive, either was I... I was just lucky.

God be with them and their families at this time.

I look back and see the things I did that were stupid, and I know I should have been dead, as well as most of my friends. My Senior class was almost twice as big as the local ones, but we only had a couple of natural deaths, and one guy beaten to death by some homophobes. Nobody actually got dead in a car.

In the three years I volunteered at our local HS, 3 kids got dead, and since then two more that I knew died in senseless car crashes. WTF? It just seems awefully high.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
MMDad said:
Nobody actually got dead in a car.
:yeahthat: In my four years in high school, I don't remember any of my classmates dying in a car accident. My brothers have lost more friends to car accidents than I have to anything in my whole life. It's sad.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Ponytail said:
Band, among other things, kept my butt off the corners. (THAT doesn't sound good!) I give teachers of any kind that have obvious heart felt attachments to their students, past, present or future, alot of respect. It's the one's that give chit that make a difference. :clap:
Right on, PT. :yay: I am forever grateful to my high school band teacher, who cared deeply about his kids and gave me such a wonderful appreciation of music in all its forms. It has made and continues to make a huge difference in my life. I'm forever in his debt.

I cringe every time I hear of an accident involving young people. Too many of them are dying for stupid mistakes. :frown:

Gadget87

This is very unfortunate , as a member of Huntingtown we have have our fair share of MVA's but this one is one of the worst. Unfortunatly I was not there to help but the crews from HVFD, PFVFD, and PFVRS did outstanding jobs from what I hear from the rest of the members.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
DavidMPD said:
It's time for the state of Maryland to implement Driver's Education in the high schools.
I agree. What happened to that? When I was in school, we took driver's ed in a high school class, not outside school.

And...can I be mean to you? "DavidMPD" isn't a very good MPD.

FYI.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
DavidMPD said:
It's time for the state of Maryland to implement Driver's Education in the high schools. It is more than obvious that these private driving schools do not work. One night I followed a private driving school car from Prince Frederick to the Power Plant. He sat in the left lane the entire time refusing to yield the way and take his proper place in the right lane. There was a long line of frustrated cars would could not get by him. The left lane is for passing and turning left.
:killingme

What will driver's education in the schools do to slow or halt bad driving once a person gets their license? Nothing.

Now as to your left lane hugger, as long as they are not more then 10 MPH below the posted limit the law says its fine. There is no requirement to move right on the roads around here.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
DavidMPD said:
It's time for the state of Maryland to implement Driver's Education in the high schools. It is more than obvious that these private driving schools do not work. One night I followed a private driving school car from Prince Frederick to the Power Plant. He sat in the left lane the entire time refusing to yield the way and take his proper place in the right lane. There was a long line of frustrated cars would could not get by him. The left lane is for passing and turning left.
Driver's Ed was taught in the public schools in P.G. County. It didn't help.

As far as commercial driver's ed cars not obeying or being careless in the law (Ken is right thought I wish he were not.), the police, state and county, don't obey the simplest of laws or abuse their position. With them as examples, no wonder people are just crude and rude on the road. No turn signals, left lane hugging, turning on flashing lights and siren to go through red light and then turning them off a block or so later, running stop signs, speeding when there is not a call. Sorry, with cops doing things like this, it is no wonder kids don't obey the laws.

And vrai is right, bad name for MPD. :biggrin: