Favorite places to visit in the US

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
You should look at northern Michigan. The weather is perfect for the next 6 months, cool and crisp. The Tahquamenon falls are beautiful at any time of year, just in different ways. Some people like them with a layer of snow, others with a green background. On top of that you'll love meeting Yoopers, they're an eclectic bunch (one schools team name is the Nimrods, another is the Flivvers) with their own dialect. You'll love listening to the quiet rustle of the aspen leaves and the bone white look of the birch's. The rivers feeding lake Superior have some of the best Salmon and Trout fishing in the country and the northern pike in the lakes will compare to any fish for a fight.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
You should look at northern Michigan. The weather is perfect for the next 6 months, cool and crisp. The Tahquamenon falls are beautiful at any time of year, just in different ways. Some people like them with a layer of snow, others with a green background. On top of that you'll love meeting Yoopers, they're an eclectic bunch (one schools team name is the Nimrods, another is the Flivvers) with their own dialect. You'll love listening to the quiet rustle of the aspen leaves and the bone white look of the birch's. The rivers feeding lake Superior have some of the best Salmon and Trout fishing in the country and the northern pike in the lakes will compare to any fish for a fight.

You had me at fishing.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
If you make it up there the two must try UP foods are the pasties and the smoked whitefish. If you're there at the right time of year fried smelt, they're like fish French fries.

Monello

PREMO Member
If you make it up there the two must try UP foods are the pasties and the smoked whitefish. If you're there at the right time of year fried smelt, they're like fish French fries.
1 of the things we do each new place we travel to is talk to locals and find the must eat foods of the area. Some places are tastier than others. Upstate NY has something called salt potatoes. South Dakota has chislic. Things you really won't find anywhere else. Here in New Mexico, the green chile is king. They put it on everything. I ask the locals if they are over the green chile. About 80% say hell naw. It appears to be 1 of those foods, like liver, you either love it or hate it.

Most unexpected was in Vicksburg, Mississippi. They told us to have the local tamales. I thought they were joking. No, tamales is a thing down there. Good ole boys making tamales and frito pies out of a repurposed, old school filling gas station.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
1 of the things we do each new place we travel to is talk to locals and find the must eat foods of the area. Some places are tastier than others. Upstate NY has something called salt potatoes. South Dakota has chislic. Things you really won't find anywhere else. Here in New Mexico, the green chile is king. They put it on everything. I ask the locals if they are over the green chile. About 80% say hell naw. It appears to be 1 of those foods, like liver, you either love it or hate it.

Most unexpected was in Vicksburg, Mississippi. They told us to have the local tamales. I thought they were joking. No, tamales is a thing down there. Good ole boys making tamales and frito pies out of a repurposed, old school filling gas station.
I've been down in that area before, dad was stationed in Keesler when he was in the Air Force. I remember the tamales and kool aid pickles for wierd foods. The thing I most remember was all of the lizards on the side of the trailer every morning.

limblips

PREMO Member
1 of the things we do each new place we travel to is talk to locals and find the must eat foods of the area.

Ima give you some advice in case you ever get to sample the cuisine in Iowa. Do not under any circumstances or threats partake of the pickled turkey gizzards in the grayish liquid behind the bar. Just trust me on this one.

Monello

PREMO Member
Smoky Mountains area. I've passed through any number of times and as soon as I get close I turn the radio to 930 AM so I can hear the comedy of Milton Crabapple and Tennessee Trivia. The only thing I dislike is that the traffic between Sevierville and Gatlinburg is absurd. A million cars and traffic lights does not make for a nice drive, but the scenery is gorgeous.

I love central TX and never get tired of finding new little towns to explore. Plus I love Texans in general.

Of course I love my home town. Wish I could visit more often and had more time to roam the whole state. Pioneer history is extremely cool.

You need to update this!

Monello

PREMO Member
I need to add Arizona to my list. Especially Flagstaff/Sedona. I think Sedona is 1 of the prettiest cities in the US. The drive up the canyon is breathtaking.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Williams/Flagstaff and Grand Canyon is now #1 and I don't expect that to change.

Gatlinburg (still)
Bastrop, TX
Panama City Beach, FL
South Padre Island, TX