Favorite Thanksgiving Day Memory

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
Almost any Thanksgiving with my immediate family when my whole family was still alive. So any of them before 2003. Especially, the ones when we lived in Italy. Those were some of the best!

Ever since my dad, sister and then mom died - it juat hasn't been the same for ME. I try to make it nice for my sons, though. My nieces all live in FL and have families and my brother will travel up once in awhile, so it's a pretty low-key day.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Growing up it there was the local high school football game starting at 11am. Then the march of the wooden soldiers on TV, followed by the macy's day parade, also on TV.

The football game had just about the entire town packed into the stadium. If you arrived late, you'd have to stand in the end zone.

After my playing HS football days were over, I never went to any more games there until I was retired from the navy and had kids of my own. I always told my son about the atmosphere at the game and how it was jam packed with everyone there.

So in 1998, I take my then 12 year old son to a game in that same stadium. Imagine my surprise when the stadium was about 60% empty. It seems the older citizens of the town aged out. They retired and moved away. Their homes got sold. And for some reason, most of those homes were bought by foreigners. A lot of Ecuadorans ended up in that town. And they don't follow football like the previous bunch did. Thus the half empty stadium.

Another memory is having egg nog at Thanksgiving. You'd get a small glass with maybe 3-4 swallows of yellow goodness.

SamSpade

All of the ones where my whole extended family would gather. My Dad built a makeshift "table" that had longer legs on one side, to accommodate the floor drop between rooms where they'd set up the Thanksgiving table. USUALLY - we had everyone - all of the sibling's families, THEIR grandkids and so on.

Once my Dad passed, we tried it one more time, by having everyone meet at a bunch of timeshares we were able to get, out of town - and mostly sent out for delivery. That was bittersweet - it was nice, but hectic. Once both my parents passed - we've never done it since.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Oh... The boring part. Ah.

Well, the Turkeys foils pan had a crack/hole in it and eventually leaked turkey grease into the bottom of the oven.

Unfortunately it went past smoking and with no fire extinguisher handy, Chillum-Adelphi 34/44 had to be called.

🧑‍🚒

It got tossed, but we should have given it to the Bumpeses Dogs.

Growing up it there was the local high school football game starting at 11am. Then the march of the wooden soldiers on TV, followed by the macy's day parade, also on TV.

Another memory is having egg nog at Thanksgiving. You'd get a small glass with maybe 3-4 swallows of yellow goodness.
Speaking of the parade, does anyone plan on watching this year? I've been hearing rumbles that it is going woke and pushing the LGBTQ agenda this year. If so, that's a hard pass for me.

And yes, eggnog!!!

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Speaking of the parade, does anyone plan on watching this year? I've been hearing rumbles that it is going woke and pushing the LGBTQ agenda this year. If so, that's a hard pass for me.

And yes, eggnog!!!
I heard they bought a newly designed Christmas Tree for the holiday.

france-art_.jpg

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
As @Bann said, just about any Thanksgiving back when my Dad, my Grandparents, Great Aunts were alive and extended family all came to my Grandparents house in SE D.C. We would eat about 1:00pm, then Men folk watching football in the living room and women folk already planning Christmas in the kitchen.

About a 12-15 people then, down to three now.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
We had a kind of double holiday when I was growing up.

Thanksgiving Day was at the Parish Hall at Gramma and Grampa Robinson's church and would involve uncles, aunts, cousins, great aunts/uncles, their families, Great Gramma Burke and a couple of her sisters and their husbands. Day started with a light breakfast, followed by parade watching, a touch football game in the backyard. Then came Dinner.

Saturday was the same kind of crowd, but an Italian-American club where Nonnie and Papa D'Orazio were members. When I was young we had both Great Grandparents D'Orazio, Great Gramma Mastroianni and some of their brothers & sisters. No parades, but the crowd of us would have Mass in the hall courtesy of Father Vito, who was a cousin of Nonnie's Instead of football, we played bocce.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I pretty much hate Thanksgiving anymore. Once I retired it was all about having to help make the dinner/clean the house/etc because I was "the girl" and that's what girls did in my family. Still don't like it much but I try for the sake of my son to make it fun and festive.

I have one memory that will date the hell out of me. My dad was still in the Navy. We were kids. At the time, an older brother and two younger brothers. Dad had duty Thanksgiving Day and we were invited aboard the Orion I think for dinner in the officers wardroom.

So there's this big table covered with white linen, water goblets, wine glasses, six piece place settings, small plates inside larger plates, soup bowls, you name it. And stewards, dressed in starched white coats, all Filipinos. Yup real honest to God stewards, that went from plate to plate to serve you.

That was the very first time I had ever seen shrimp cocktail. It was served in a wine glass if I recall correctly with a small fork and the cocktail sauce inside the glass. I remember eating one and thinking OMG what is this wonderful thing I'm eating. Then sweet potatoes with lightly browned marshmallows. Marshmallows!!! My mother never made sweet potatoes with marshmallows. I didn't know such a thing even existed.

I bugged my mother for years to have shrimp cocktail w/Thanksgiving dinner. Never did get it.

And afterwards we were treated to a movie inside the wardroom. Ben Hur, brand new release on a reel.

That will always be Thanksgiving to me, the day I discovered shrimp cocktail and marshmallows on sweet potatoes.
Was the Orion in Charleston at the time?

CPUSA

My most memorable Thanksgiving would definitely be the year we went to my Father In law's in Crofton. He wasn't doing too well, healthwise so his kids agreed to ALL spend Thanksgiving at his place. 4 of the 5 kids and their families showed on time and were enjoying ourselves and were about half way through dinner when the fifth kid...who was always the "black sheep" in the family... runs in the house, and as he's heading upstairs says, "you never saw me."...About 2 minutes later, the cops come knocking on the door, father in law opens it, points upstairs, & comes back to the table to finish his dinner.

NOTSMC

Was the Orion in Charleston at the time?
No, we were in Norfolk then so it might not have been the Orion that we ate onboard. Dad was on the Orion in Charleston. We lived on the Naval Weapons Station in Goose Creek. I'm a Goose Creek High School graduate. Go Gators!

Clem72

I remember shattering my cousins ankle with a well aimed croquet shot. The next year she must have thrown a dozen jarts at me but missed every time.