Federal Employees

Hijinx

:yeahthat:

UNION Protect dead weight

CIVIL SERVICE protected dead weight. Get it right.

Yes: AND EEO..

People who would never have been hired in the first place if standards had to be met and Affirmative Action quota's weren't kept.

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

Guess what, this guy had been working for the same agency for 6 years. By the time he left he was drawing around 140K

So this guy was at least a GS-14, how exactly does someone like this get to do nothing? Which agency is this? What exactly was his job, I smell BS.

steppinthrax

And I have worked with dozens of contractors who absolutely could not make it in the real world where there are consequences for lying about your abilities and how much time or cost is involved in an effort.

Contractors can be let go at a whim. It's the reason why we have to keep up on our skills and maintain certification. If we piss off a gov employee we can get let go, if we look at them sideways we can get let go. If they simply don't like us we can get let go.

Let's put it this way it takes me about 6 mins to find a job whereas it would take most gov about 6 mos.

Gov workers park their ass in a billet and after about 1 year (probation) they are unfireable. At that point they don't have to maintain their skills etc, as long as they don't do anything wild they will have a job until they die.

steppinthrax

So this guy was at least a GS-14, how exactly does someone like this get to do nothing? Which agency is this? What exactly was his job, I smell BS.

It's not bull####. I'm serious as ####. This agency wasn't using the GS scale.

You want me to tell you another story.

Employees who are way past retirement, they have not retirement savings or maybe work is better than sitting home, not sure. They have health issues that raise concerns in terms of them sitting at work among people. They have been in the gov position for 40+ years. They are so unfireable they could come into work with a gun and they would chalk it up to mental issues and let them sit home. This guy would come into work, sit in front of his computer and sleep. Yep you heard me, sleep, eyes closed sitting up dude in his 70s. The boss knew it, his boss knew it the bosses boss knew it, the leads knew it the contractors knew it. He did this for 1 year in front of me. The only reason why I said a year is because I've been there a year. But other employees knew it going on much longer.

One day he was heading into work and he was having trouble standing up (walking with his cane) he was gripping the sides of the walls as he was walking in trying to support himself. I saw this and when heading to my desk another employee gave me a look (crazy look).

Anyway he had a heart attack and died at home.

I'm just happy it was home and not at work where I'd have to deal with trying to give him CPR.

story

2 out of 100000

Starman

There are lazy and unqualified employees in all fields and employment sectors.

Government employees create nothing. They use monies stolen from those who create, who generate income and wealth, and call it “work”.

I think those monies would be put to better use by those who actually earned it.

And government employees don’t really pay taxes either. Oh sure, they file a return every year and have monies withheld but income tax for the government worker is just accounting chicanery since that money was actually earned by someone else and stolen by the government. They get to turn it around, pay it out as a salary and then take another taste. The funniest part is when a government employee complains about how much they are taxed. :lmao:

I think that government workers should have their salaries cut by their tax bracket and let them live income tax free.

PeoplesElbow

It's not bull####. I'm serious as ####. This agency wasn't using the GS scale.

You want me to tell you another story.

I am not telling a story, I want details that I can verify. I dont doubt the story but I think you are embellishing to make it better.

So which agency was it and what pay scale did they use?

philibusters

Government employees create nothing. They use monies stolen from those who create, who generate income and wealth, and call it “work”.

I think those monies would be put to better use by those who actually earned it.

And government employees don’t really pay taxes either. Oh sure, they file a return every year and have monies withheld but income tax for the government worker is just accounting chicanery since that money was actually earned by someone else and stolen by the government. They get to turn it around, pay it out as a salary and then take another taste. The funniest part is when a government employee complains about how much they are taxed. :lmao:

I think that government workers should have their salaries cut by their tax bracket and let them live income tax free.

Tell us how you really feel.

Hijinx

Without Government employees you wouldn't get your food stamps or your benefit check.

Think about that.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Can someone explain to me the disdain people hold for federal employees?

In my military career then a decade as a defense contractor, there were more than a few that did next to nothing, other than showing up at the jobsite, but still got a paycheck. Ask 1 of the supervisors and they claim there isn't anything they can do to get rid of them nor make them productive.

As far as I know, federal gov't service is the only field where this happens. Any other sector and you are gone in a heartbeat.

littlelady

God bless the USA
My dot has 2 besties that are gov workers; one Dod and one Census. They will be the first to tell you that their jobs are boring and they basically do nothing, but they like the big bucks and perks.

littlelady

God bless the USA
This is a statement that everyone will shoot you for saying, but unfortunately are true.

How is his statement true? Do you think law enforcement and teaching are easy jobs? You have to be dedicated to community to pursue those careers. Going into real estate is a fluff job. Usually, people who pursue that have another source of income. Also, using the words ‘shoot you for’ wasn’t such a great choice on your part.

steppinthrax

I am not telling a story, I want details that I can verify. I font doubt the story but I think you are embellishing to make it better.

So which agency was it and what pay scale did they use?

I'm not going to provide any further information since that and my previous past posts could possibly identify me. I also don't want those persons identified. If you want to say that I'm full of ####, that's fine.

Here's another story.

A woman who started with the DoD back in the 80s as a phone operator. She eventually moved herself up to program manager within the IT dept. She was the most rudest person to work with. She had no IT background or understanding. I was the "go-to-contractor" that had to provide her a weekly report of what was going on in the team. Example, we had an automated process that took a series of files, concatenated them and sent them off to an external interface, this happened 3 - 4 times a day. We had to explain and explain and explain the same process to her. We wrote documentation after documentation and even (for her understanding) created a diagram with arrows of where each file comes from (with pictures) and how the files are combined. She pulled me in her office and explained to me that it was do complicated and no one can understand it. She had this reputation with most everyone. If she didn't understand something she would get angry and blame us for saying it's complicated. This is one of many examples.

The only thing she was ever really good at and we found how she seemed to stay relevant was hold these big meetings with the important people. She was very good at hosting meetings and taking control of the meeting, she made each meeting like it was the signing of the declaration of independence. Lots of dramatization etc. She was good at that and comming to work every day at 5ish and leaving right at 3 (at the dot). She would never say GM or Hi to anyone and had this permanent angry bitch face. Could never understand what was wrong with her.

Anyway, she had the Mary Kay lady come into work almost every month and blast church music from her computer in the office...

Story

3 of 100000

steppinthrax

How is his statement true? Do you think law enforcement and teaching are easy jobs? You have to be dedicated to community to pursue those careers. Going into real estate is a fluff job. Usually, people who pursue that have another source of income. Also, using the words ‘shoot you for’ wasn’t such a great choice on your part.

No they are not easy jobs.

They are not highly desirable jobs and don't require a high skill set.

I understand your and my level of what's "good" would be very different.

Let's put it this way, if my children decided to become police officers or teachers, my wife and I would be disappointed.

Unless we are talking a University Professor (with a PhD)...

littlelady

God bless the USA
No they are not easy jobs.

They are not highly desirable jobs and don't require a high skill set.

I understand your and my level of what's "good" would be very different.

Let's put it this way, if my children decided to become police officers or teachers, my wife and I would be disappointed.

Unless we are talking a University Professor (with a PhD)...

Good is good; no variation on that. I am sorry for you and your wife if you would be disapointed if your children wanted to help their community. As far as university prof, which universities are ok with y’all?

SamSpade

And I have worked with dozens of contractors who absolutely could not make it in the real world where there are consequences for lying about your abilities and how much time or cost is involved in an effort.

Agreed - as much as a third of our private contractors get canned pretty quickly because they simply cannot deliver anywhere near in the timeframe they're allotted.
And for pretty much the reasons you've described - overstating their skills.

I've worked tons of jobs in my lifetime. I have always seen slackers - and hard working industrious types.
It is true that rules in the government workplace often protect poor workers - and I've seen it countless times.
What doesn't often get mentioned is that everything from the IRS to the FBI to all the courts and other government
institutions - somehow manage to work because everyone ELSE who ISN'T useless has to do the lazy ass's
job TOO. Can't tell you how wonderful it is to be on a small team with one or two people on it who have
no business being there because management insists they be there.

Every set of data I've seen describing federal workers as overpaid simply exaggerates, overstates or misstates the
details. It just does not square with my experience. I've worked at two different agencies and worked private
industry in the middle. I saw people in private industry get away with crap because the boss liked them,
and saw people get canned - who did good work - because the boss didn't.