Fetterman and Feinstein absences leave Senate Democrats without outright majority

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Democrats have lacked an outright majority this week in the Senate as a number of temporary absences complicate their ability to confirm Joe Biden's nominees and give Republicans an easier time sending legislation to the president's desk.

Four senators have missed all of their votes this week, three Democrats and one Republican, underscoring just how tenuous the 51-49 Democratic control of the upper chamber is.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) has left Washington to deal with a “health matter,” according to a spokesperson, and it's not clear when she'll be back for Senate votes. “She hopes to return to Washington soon,” her office said on Wednesday.

The 89-year-old senator announced last month that she will not be seeking reelection in 2024 but still has almost two years left in her term.

WingsOfGold

Reactions: BOP

Hijinx

Someone please tell me why someone 89 years old wants to remain a senator.
It's not like she hasn't already scammed the Government out of a fortune.
Is the power and the ass-kissing that great that she just cannot bring herself to leave?

Reactions: BOP

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Is the power and the ass-kissing that great that she just cannot bring herself to leave?
Rhetorical questions...right?

stgislander

PREMO Member
I don't know. Maybe you should ask Steny.

WingsOfGold

Because in her frazzled mind she thinks she belongs there and soon when she drops dead a gov't building will be named after her for all to see.

SamSpade

Conjecture? Easy money, benefits, very little actual work.

But what I read about her is that her cognitive abilities are atrocious - forgetting she's been briefed, exploding in anger at things (a trait OFTEN seen in persons with declining mental abilities) - staff frustrated with her. PHYSICALLY, she's much stronger than many her age, but mentally, she's lost way too much.

Maybe also - a bit of stubbornness.

Hijinx

Conjecture? Easy money, benefits, very little actual work.

But what I read about her is that her cognitive abilities are atrocious - forgetting she's been briefed, exploding in anger at things (a trait OFTEN seen in persons with declining mental abilities) - staff frustrated with her. PHYSICALLY, she's much stronger than many her age, but mentally, she's lost way too much.

Maybe also - a bit of stubbornness.
The Democrats seem to be struggling with many of their leadership having cognitive issues.