Finally saw a shark

Not that I had been holding my breath waiting (pun intended), but it's always been in the back of my mind underwater. Snorkling in Key West last week and there he was. Nearest I can figure it was a Carribean Reef shark. It looked like it was six feet long. I came over a spur of coral and he was swimming up the groove. When he saw me he swam up over the other side and dissappeared. He made another appearance, or his running mate did, when I had my wifie with me a little later. Just on the fringe of visibility. I always wondered how I'd react. Mainly just thought, "Pretty cool." Probably since he wasn't coming directly at me. :lmao:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I've got over 300 hours in my scuba log book and only saw a shark once, a hammerhead in Hanama bay on Hawaii. I chased him for about 10 minutes trying to get close enough for a picture and when I got the film back my finger was over the lens :ohwell:

p.s. he was little, about 3 ft long

aps45819 said:
I've got over 300 hours in my scuba log book and only saw a shark once, a hammerhead in Hanama bay on Hawaii. I chased him for about 10 minutes trying to get close enough for a picture and when I got the film back my finger was over the lens :ohwell:

p.s. he was little, about 3 ft long
I had thought about getting one of those little disposables, but decided against it. :ohwell:

dustin

UAIOE
desertrat said:
I had thought about getting one of those little disposables, but decided against it. :ohwell:
those disposable ones work great! I used one during our "swim with the stingrays" at Grand Cayman (cruise). the pics came out pretty good. water was really clear though.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
desertrat said:
Had a Nikonos 35mm. Have gradually sold off most of my dive gear since moving to MD.

Gwydion

I went snorkling while my Boy Scout troop was sailing from the tip of Fla to Key West. We ran into quite a few sharks and rays. We chased down some sharks...no idea what kind...but the ones we were scared of was the barracudas. We got stranded from the boat when a pack of them came along and seperated us from them. All I remember is our first mate saying in a very calm voice...."If you have anything shiny on....now is the time to take it off and hide it." SCARY

Gwydion said:
I went snorkling while my Boy Scout troop was sailing from the tip of Fla to Key West. We ran into quite a few sharks and rays. We chased down some sharks...no idea what kind...but the ones we were scared of was the barracudas. We got stranded from the boat when a pack of them came along and seperated us from them. All I remember is our first mate saying in a very calm voice...."If you have anything shiny on....now is the time to take it off and hide it." SCARY
There were a lot of 'cudas there. They are so dang fast its unreal. I took a flash of this one on a different trip and when I looked up from the view finder he was in my face. I guess the flash attracted him.

Last edited:

Pushrod

Patriot
Shark diving is one of my favorite hobbies.
I've got tons of shark pictures. My favorite is of a snaggletooth mouthing the lens of my camera, all you see is teeth and gullet, I'll try and remember to post the pic from home this evening.
The picture I attached is of a five foot Black tip that paced me for an entire dive.

Attachments

• black tip.jpg
    black tip.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 95
Pushrod said:
I've got tons of shark pictures. My favorite is of a snaggletooth mouthing the lens of my camera, all you see is teeth and gullet, I'll try and remember to post the pic from home this evening.
The picture I attached is of a five foot Black tip that paced me for an entire dive.
Pretty cool!

Pushrod said:
:tap:

Pushrod

Patriot
desertrat said:

Oh Shoot! I forgot didn't I? Its all this Christmas biz that has me absent minded these days. I'm putting an x on my hand to remember to get that picture tonight and post it. Look for it tonight or tomorrow!

Pushrod said:
Oh Shoot! I forgot didn't I? Its all this Christmas biz that has me absent minded these days. I'm putting an x on my hand to remember to get that picture tonight and post it. Look for it tonight or tomorrow!
:yay:

Pushrod

Patriot
Here is the picture. It is of a Sand Tiger off of North Carolina...

Attachments

• 037NancyLeeShark.jpg
    037NancyLeeShark.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 71