Finally, some good interesting news story! From those across the pond.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Not sure why these guys are more on the ball than our own media. But I'll take it.
Better that they said St. Mary's (County), Maryland. Oh well, still works I reckon.

‘I think we found it': Long-lost 1634 English settlement

40790402-9389177-A_rendering_of_the_1634_fort_at_the_St_Mary_s_settlement_in_Sout-a-20_1616441356741.jpg

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Fascinating. The structures look similar to those in recreated Viking era villages.

My wife was watching an internet video series by a team of British archaeologists who helped find structures at old Saint Mary's City.
I'll ask her to send me the link.

My home town in western Massachusetts was settled a year later, but moved to higher ground on the east side of the Connecticut River that fall after disastrous flooding from a hurricane hit the area. A few hardy farm families stay on the west side. One of our neighbors was a descendant of one of those families. Mr. Ashley was the custodian at the junior high school.

Oldest structure still standing was built in 1642, a small wooden house. The all brick addition was built in 1754.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Used ground-penetrating radar that can detect outlines of long-gone buildings, they scanned a meadow about a half-mile from the river.

Mavis

Fascinating. The structures look similar to those in recreated Viking era villages.

My wife was watching an internet video series by a team of British archaeologists who helped find structures at old Saint Mary's City.
I'll ask her to send me the link.

My home town in western Massachusetts was settled a year later, but moved to higher ground on the east side of the Connecticut River that fall after disastrous flooding from a hurricane hit the area. A few hardy farm families stay on the west side. One of our neighbors was a descendant of one of those families. Mr. Ashley was the custodian at the junior high school.

Oldest structure still standing was built in 1642, a small wooden house. The all brick addition was built in 1754.
The program is Timeteam St.Mary's City.
And I believe the find is the field left side of route 5 south bound, just before turning for Mattapany road.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The program is Timeteam St.Mary's City.
And I believe the find is the field left side of route 5 south bound, just before turning for Mattapany road.
Thanks, had not remembered to ask the Mrs.