Fishing from Shore in Southern MD

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
Well Im going up to my dad's to grab our surf rods and I haven't done surf fishing in a long time. We used to just use some spot to go fishing for blues and such. What does everyone use now these days for the different fish.

Croaker = I have read that a spinner bait with squid might be a good idea??
Rock = Have no clue I have always gone trolling.
Flounder = I've heard squid or minnows but don't know if you can even fish from shore for flounder.

unixpirate

Pitty Party
FastCarsSpeed said:
Well Im going up to my dad's to grab our surf rods and I haven't done surf fishing in a long time. We used to just use some spot to go fishing for blues and such. What does everyone use now these days for the different fish.

Flounder = I've heard squid or minnows but don't know if you can even fish from shore for flounder.

I haven't surf fished in so long. Took the Pup over to Myrtle Point to check it out to go tomorrow.
But I've heard the same for the Croaker and Flounder. Although have never caught any flounder here in St. Mary's. Same with Rock for me. Always trolled.
Good Luck. :yay:

Boxdyn

FastCarsSpeed said:

Croaker like bloodworms, but so do the skates.
For blues, I've used cut bait that I catch on nightcrawlers.
Can't tell you about rock. I haven't been fortunate enough to get one from shore yet.

jenbengen

Watch it
FastCarsSpeed said:

I've caught a flounder from shore with squid, but only once. Same with croaker.
Rock fish- have really good luck offshore but not onshore

unixpirate

Pitty Party
jenbengen said:
I've caught a flounder from shore with squid, but only once. Same with croaker.
Rock fish- have really good luck offshore but not onshore

I've used squid strips in NC on shore and done very well.

Croaker are like rats. Will eat anything. :yum: :lol:

I've heard a few good story's about rock being caught off piers. Never tried it.

I like crabbing on a drunk night off a pier. :cheers:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
FastCarsSpeed said:
Yeah thats about the usual deal. Blood worms and some peelers

Have you checked the price of blood worms lately? $10 for a dozen. :mad: I've heard that a lot of the charter boat captains are using the fake blood worms you can get at Walmart for $6 a bag and they last a lot longer and work just as well. :shrug: I haven't tried them myself because everywhere I check they are sold out, so I imagine they must work pretty well.

unixpirate

Pitty Party
Bay_Kat said:
Have you checked the price of blood worms lately? $10 for a dozen. :mad: I've heard that a lot of the charter boat captains are using the fake blood worms you can get at Walmart for $6 a bag and they last a lot longer and work just as well. :shrug: I haven't tried them myself because everywhere I check they are sold out, so I imagine they must work pretty well.

Chum :shrug:

Agee

Jameo said:
Just about anything will hit on blood worms & crab

FastCarsSpeed said:
Yeah thats about the usual deal. Blood worms and some peelers

:yeahthat: Although latest is Blood-Worms @ 8.99/dz.

If your fishing off the beach here locally, try and find a spot where there's a nice contour from the beach. That is a gradual transistion from the shallows to deep water. Typically 10 to 40 ft.

Fish-on!

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
For croaker I've been using bloodworms and squid, squid is A LOT cheaper, but like unix said croaker are like rats. Hell we've even used chicken to catch croaker.

For rock, you may want try live lining from shore. I have caught rock on an outgoing tide at St. Jerome's creek before. I was using a large (6" or so) Rapala top water lure.

White perch can be caught on bloodworm, squid, nightcrawlers(? never tried) or 1/8-1/4 oz beetle spins. :yay:

Flounder I have only caught while drift fishing. Oddly enough I was flounder fishing many moons ago right in front of where I now live. We were using live minnows for the floormats.

I'm not a big fan of the synthetic bloodworms, maybe I'll give them a try next time I decide to wet a line.

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
Yeah Im really feeling like fishing in the evenings and since I pay all these expensive dues for CRE I think I better start using the beaches LOL.

How many of you guys are using double riggers when fishing?

I now need to go and buy some more line because Im sure our old surf rods have dry rotted line on em. Oh what fun.

Agee

FastCarsSpeed said:

I use the "double" bottom rig and try to use the hooks with the stainless steel leaders. If you ever get into any blues you'll be thankful you did.

itsbob said:
SYnthetic blood worms do well too, and cost less than the real ones.
"Fish bites". They work almost as well. When they first came out I put blood worms on one hook and fish bites on the other. It was a toss up. Then I tried fish bites on one pole and blood worms on the other. The blood worms out fished the artificial by 2-1. I think the blood worms atttract better if they are fresh.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
FastCarsSpeed said:

If you have acess to the base, there is a point just North of the West Basin Marina.. Just before Dusk the croaker hit like mad..

Jameo

What?!
FastCarsSpeed said:
Yeah Im really feeling like fishing in the evenings and since I pay all these expensive dues for CRE I think I better start using the beaches LOL.

I now need to go and buy some more line because Im sure our old surf rods have dry rotted line on em. Oh what fun.

Don't forget your fishing licenses. I've noticed DNR having a field day with the people that fish off the side of the road in front of Neptunes.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
FastCarsSpeed said:

I use the more affectionate and less offensive rigga.. i got my double rigga's on.