Flight 93...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/reviews/review_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002383139

...I didn't have any doubt that this was in my past...until I clicked the link.

Press notes for motion pictures are usually filled with dispensable, self-congratulatory puffery, but the one for the soul-searing film "United 93" contains this trenchant comment from its English writer-director, Paul Greengrass: Speaking of the 40 individuals aboard United Airlines Flight 93, the fourth hijacked plane on that day of infamy, Sept. 11, 2001, he notes that these were the only passengers and crew members on any of those ill-fated flights who knew about the other planes having been used as weapons and realized what was happening to them.

...and then...

"They were the first people to inhabit the post-9/11 world," Greengrass says. These were the first to react to the worldwide conflict we find ourselves in today. Within the microcosm of that reaction, Greengrass has made an emphatic political document, a movie about defiance against tyranny and terrorism.

Gut punched.

I had my doubts about 93, figuring that it was rather rationally shot down by us before it could be used to kill most likely many more than the 40 souls on board.

A moment please.

Damn. It's still raw.

Anyway, I have no way of knowing, fact certain, that the phone calls and the cockpit recorder are real and that it all went down as we've been told but count me as believing it.

This war is not over.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Larry Gude said:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/reviews/review_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002383139

...I didn't have any doubt that this was in my past...until I clicked the link.

...and then...

Gut punched.

I had my doubts about 93, figuring that it was rather rationally shot down by us before it could be used to kill most likely many more than the 40 souls on board.

A moment please.

Damn. It's still raw.

Anyway, I have no way of knowing, fact certain, that the phone calls and the cockpit recorder are real and that it all went down as we've been told but count me as believing it.

This war is not over.
I don't know, I'm sure Charlie Sheen will stand there and tell all the families that there was no plane crash, that the hole in PA was put there with controlled demolitions, that there family members were taken to Iowa where they were all executed, and their bodies cremated..

I'm a believer as to what happened on 9/11, there was never any doubt.. Tom Clancy wrote the scenario down for EVERYone to read about ten years earlier..

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm talking specifically...

itsbob said:
I don't know, I'm sure Charlie Sheen will stand there and tell all the families that there was no plane crash, that the hole in PA was put there with controlled demolitions, that there family members were taken to Iowa where they were all executed, and their bodies cremated..

I'm a believer as to what happened on 9/11, there was never any doubt.. Tom Clancy wrote the scenario down for EVERYone to read about ten years earlier..

...about 93. I saw NYC with my own eyes and I know someone who was at the Pentagon. Imagine you're the Prez, see all this, know what happened and then the call comes in one more is off track, heading to Washington and less than 30 minutes from DC AND two F-15's can intercept in 10 minutes...

As far as Clancy goes, yep, airplanes as weapons is old hat. I'm sure he wasn't the first person to imagine a 747 crashing into a joint session of Congress.

sushisamba

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Larry Gude said:
...about 93. I saw NYC with my own eyes and I know someone who was at the Pentagon. Imagine you're the Prez, see all this, know what happened and then the call comes in one more is off track, heading to Washington and less than 30 minutes from DC AND two F-15's can intercept in 10 minutes...

As far as Clancy goes, yep, airplanes as weapons is old hat. I'm sure he wasn't the first person to imagine a 747 crashing into a joint session of Congress.
The movie opens today.

Katt

I would like to see this movie... and I'm not much of a movie-go-er. I think America in general, needs to be reminded of what happened to so many innocent people, just going about their daily lives, and to the rest of us, floundering our way through today's 'post 9/11 world'. :jerry:

kwillia said:
I just feel they are profiting off of the deaths. It'd be one thing if they were pumping a portion of the proceeds into something like the Flight 93 Memorial. Haven't heard they are doing anything like that, so I refuse to see it.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
huntr1 said:
I just feel they are profiting off of the deaths. It'd be one thing if they were pumping a portion of the proceeds into something like the Flight 93 Memorial. Haven't heard they are doing anything like that, so I refuse to see it.
They are. In addition, the movie was made with the family members' well wishes. If THEY can deal with it, and think the movie should be made, then none of us have the right to say otherwise.

Nickel said:
They are. In addition, the movie was made with the family members' well wishes.
I did not know that.
Nickel said:
If THEY can deal with it, and think the movie should be made, then none of us have the right to say otherwise.
It is my right to say otherwise if I so choose.

I may change my mind once I get more info on it (including reviews from non-industry types). Maybe I will see it once it hits DVD.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm with you...

huntr1 said:
I did not know that.
It is my right to say otherwise if I so choose.

I may change my mind once I get more info on it (including reviews from non-industry types). Maybe I will see it once it hits DVD.

...huntr, in how you are looking at this thing but, if they have the blessings, I'm good.